• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

fantasy doping draft

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
vandenbroucke.wielrennen.sleuren.425.jpg

I decided to skip my original choice and instead go leftfield with Frank Vandenbroucke from the 1999 Vuelta as my third choice, if it is my turn anyway. Everybody remembers the stage to Avila when he hammered the category two Navalmoral so hard that all GC contenders had to drop from his wheel. But just as insane was the stage to Alto de Abantos where he stayed with the leaders until late on the final mountain, then when he attacked he passed Jose Maria Jimenez in literally double speed. Roberto Laiseka was too far gone and won but VDB gained something like 35 seconds in a not very hard final kilometre.

All this was of course preparation for the World Championships in Verona where Frank would have won easily except he crashed and broke his wrist early in the race. His role on my team would be to get to that condition and then do whatever the *** he wants.

ciranda said:
vandenbroucke.wielrennen.sleuren.425.jpg

I decided to skip my original choice and instead go leftfield with Frank Vandenbroucke from the 1999 Vuelta as my third choice, if it is my turn anyway. Everybody remembers the stage to Avila when he hammered the category two Navalmoral so hard that all GC contenders had to drop from his wheel. But just as insane was the stage to Alto de Abantos where he stayed with the leaders until late on the final mountain, then when he attacked he passed Jose Maria Jimenez in literally double speed. Roberto Laiseka was too far gone and won but VDB gained something like 35 seconds in a not very hard final kilometre.

All this was of course preparation for the World Championships in Verona where Frank would have won easily except he crashed and broke his wrist early in the race. His role on my team would be to get to that condition and then do whatever the **** he wants.

Finally! I've been waiting for someone to pick Vandenbrouck. I was ready to post the photo above, but I was beaten to it.
The photo of VDB towing a bunch of noted dopers up a mountain is absolutely fantastic. VDB looks like he's going for a quick stroll to the corner store while everyone behind him are hanging on for dear life.
Beautiful.

With the second pick of Round 3, 22nd pick overall, team "La Vie Pas Claire" selects (drum roll):

The 2003 TdF Alexander Vinokourov.

A lot has been said and written about Vino, the unrepentant doper, the cheater who rode into the sunset with an Olympic Gold medal around his neck. I could have picked the '06 Vuelta Vino, but IMO the '03 TdF Vino was far more impressive, super aggressive, he received very little support from a team that was nowhere near as good as the USPS train, which cost him 1'30" on stage 4 (TTT), and more as the race unfolded. He lost quite a bit of time in the final ITT as well. Besides that, he went for it, unlike Jan Ullrich Belmonte who raced not to lose. It was at the 2003 Tour de France that Vino became a hugely popular figure, the symbol of a fighter that has inspired many, including in the CN forums. There always has to be a Vino option, and I take it.

Round 1
Pick 1: Libertine Seguros - Miguel Indurain ('95 Tour)
Pick 2: The Hitch - Lance Armstrong ('04 Tour)
Pick 3: The Sceptic - Jan Ullrich ('97 Tour)
Pick 4: The Green Monkey - Alberto Contador ('09 Tour)
Pick 5: zlev11 - Marco Pantani ('99 Giro)
Pick 6: burning - Bjarne Riis ('96 Tour)
Pick 7: Netserk - Ivan Basso ('06 Giro)
Pick 8: Zam Olyas - Gianni Bugno ('90 Giro)
Pick 9: Tonton - Evgeni Berzin ('94 Giro)
Pick 10: Ciranda - Roberto Heras ('04 Vuelta)

Round 2

Pick 11: Ciranda - Tyler Hamilton ('03 Tour)
Pick 12: Tonton - Chris Froome ('13 Tour)
Pick 13: Zam Olyas - Tony Rominger ('95 Giro)
Pick 14: Netserk - Piotr Ugrumov ('94 Tour)
Pick 15: burning - Richard Virenque ('97 Tour)
Pick 16: zlev11 - Floyd Landis ('06 Tour)
Pick 17: The Green Monkey - Alex Zülle ('95 Tour)
Pick 18: The Sceptic - Santi Pérez ('04 Vuelta)
Pick 19: The Hitch - Michael Rasmussen ('07 Tour)
Pick 20: Libertine Seguros - Laurent Jalabert ('95 Vuelta)

Round 3

Pick 21: Ciranda - Frank Vandenbroucke ('99 Vuelta)
Pick 22: Tonton - Alexander Vinokourov ('03 Tour)

Attachments

• Vino4Ever.jpg
    Vino4Ever.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 974
Re:

Netserk said:
At least it means we can have some impartial commentary. It'd be great if jens decided to join for that as well.

i don't think it's needed, pretty much all the right picks so far :D
bugno 90 the most human, he would be trashed by everyone there
libertine goes for the highest hematocrit/square meter. i luv it.
hitch is going very soft though, better get some mid 90's hardcore riders in there

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm surprised that a few of the mutants of the 90ies haven't been picked until now, I can think of at least 2 guys that I'd like to have in my team...

Tonton said:
Wonderboy plus The Chicken: nice beginning for you The Hitch.
Glad someone agrees :D . This romanticism for the 1990's is taken too far imo. There's more great performances from the 90's, specifically Mig of course, Pantani as a pure climber (though not good enough tter) and Ulle and Riis (though I don't trust 1 hit wonders) but lets not act like every single person in the peloton who sniffed a GT stage in the 1990's could have done the Giro Tour double in the 2000's. Even the podium guys were finishing 10 minutes behind Mig and he wasn't even going for it full on half the time.

TRENDING THREADS