• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

fantasy doping draft

Page 31 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

TheGreenMonkey said:
Grand Tour winners not selected,

Greg Lemond 1990 Tour de France
Oscar Pereiro 2006 Tour de France
Stefano Garzelli 2000 Giro d'Italia
Michele Scarponi 2011 Giro d'Italia
Ryder Hesjedal 2012 Giro d'Italia
Marco Giovannetti 1990 Vuelta a Espana
Angel Casero 2001 Vuelta a Espana
Joan Jose Cobo 2011 Vuelta a Espana

That makes 8 GT winners not selected, so not quite a team but if people want to add this as a wildcard team I will add 1988 Tour winner Pedro Delgado who managed some good GT performances after 1990.

Ok, wildcard teams are already one step outside the protocol so I'm not looking to stir anything up here with the proposed cast.

But, as this is the fantasy 'doping' draft, then the protocol is obviously also one of known or almost certain doping.

Hence, could I recommend a non-Tour winner but someone that should/could have been picked to swap out, due to so many incredulous performances against the biggest dopies ever, for one of the above?

Someone currently doing color commentary with Phil and Paul?

Dave.

Re:

42x16ss said:
Team SingleSpeed p/b Fuentes Gynaecology:

Stefano Garzelli ('00 Giro)
Guiseppe Guerini ('98 Giro)
Christophe Moreau ('00 TdF)
Jose Luis Rubiera ('02 TdF)
Enrico Zaina ('96 Giro)
Michele Bartoli ('98 Giro)
Neil Stephens ('97 TdF)
Jens Voigt ('04 TdF)
Robbie McEwen ('05 TdF)
Just reposting in response to the Garzelli and Voigt calls...

Re: Re:

More Strides than Rides said:
TheGreenMonkey said:
Grand Tour winners not selected,

Greg Lemond 1990 Tour de France
Oscar Pereiro 2006 Tour de France
Stefano Garzelli 2000 Giro d'Italia
Michele Scarponi 2011 Giro d'Italia
Ryder Hesjedal 2012 Giro d'Italia
Marco Giovannetti 1990 Vuelta a Espana
Angel Casero 2001 Vuelta a Espana
Joan Jose Cobo 2011 Vuelta a Espana

That makes 8 GT winners not selected, so not quite a team but if people want to add this as a wildcard team I will add 1988 Tour winner Pedro Delgado who managed some good GT performances after 1990.

Cobo is on Zamasailo-Piantazione di Gomma

You could make a team of World Champion and Olympic champions as well. I think there are just enough not already selected.Or sprinkle in some TT champions if the RR champs don't have a good GT version of themselves.

Sorry for the Cobo mistake.
Also I took so long to write my post for various reasons I started it before 42x16ss put up his team and finished it afterwards but he put Garzelli in his team so my idea is rather dead.

Olympic Champions, Samuel Sanchez is the only one I remember off the top of my head, and in the women's Kathy Watt from 1992.
Not up with all the world champions, but surely Lance Armstrong is the stand out pick there

Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
First suggestion for a wildcard team: TEAM HAZUKI p/b COLOMBIANA.

Álvaro Mejía ('93 Tour)
José Rujano Guillén ('05 Giro)
Félix Cardeñas ('03 Vuelta)
Juan Mauricio Soler ('07 Tour)
Rigoberto Urán ('14 Giro)
Chepe González ('97 Giro)
Julio Alberto Pérez Cuapio ('02 Giro)
Fredy González ('03 Giro)
Victor Hugo Peña ('06 Giro)
But those are all clean. :confused: :p

Note to all teams:
What am I--chopped liver?
Not only did I destroy the entire field in TdF prologues, I once won a stage after riding solo for 220 km and holding off some hard charging teams that included names that have been picked in the FDD.
Maybe I'll get picked for the breakaway team or something.
--Thierry Marie

Thierry Marie is welcome in my breakaway team if he's up to it. I remember him slightly from when I started following cycling, but his golden age is a little too early for my memory.

Speaking of the breakaway team, here's the three riders I had in mind.

- Andrei Zintchenko (Vitalicio Seguros, Vuelta a Espana 1998, three stage wins)...quite a breakout race for him - not much happened before or after that. He did win a stage in La Vuelta 2000, but the 98 edition was really...uuhm special. I can't remember if he actually won the stage to Navacerrada from the favorite group, which would've been pretty amazing too.

- Erik Dekker (Rabobank, Tour de France 2000, three stage wins)...also quite a breakthrough race for Dekker, although not an unknown entity. His stage win to Lausanne, holding off a charging peloton, was quite something.

- Ivan Parra (Selle Italia, Giro d'Italia 2005, two stage wins)...two weeks of not much, and bam! two stage wins in a row on massive mountain stages.

Feel free to add more.

Re:

the delgados said:
Note to all teams:
Not only did I destroy the entire field in TdF prologues, I once won a stage after riding solo for 220 km and holding off some hard charging teams that included names that have been picked in the FDD.
--Thierry Marie
Maybe Thierry can go in the French wildcard squad, surely there would be one invited, regardless of whether they'd fit in against the top level chargers, to keep ASO happy. The 2000 Moreau being picked by the Fuentes Gynæcology team is a bit of a shame for the selection possibilities though.

Équipe du Peloton à Deux Vitesses (PDV)

Thierry Marie ('91 Tour)
Thomas Voeckler ('11 Tour)
Jacky Durand ('99 Tour) (look, any time you win lanterne rouge AND super combativité in the same race, you are a legend)
Pascal Lino ('92 Tour)
Christophe Rinero ('98 Tour)
Frédéric Moncassin ('96 Tour)
John Gadret ('11 Giro)
François Simon ('01 Tour)
Jean-Christophe Peraud ('14 Tour)

Re:

mortand said:
Thierry Marie is welcome in my breakaway team if he's up to it. I remember him slightly from when I started following cycling, but his golden age is a little too early for my memory.

Speaking of the breakaway team, here's the three riders I had in mind.

- Andrei Zintchenko (Vitalicio Seguros, Vuelta a Espana 1998, three stage wins)...quite a breakout race for him - not much happened before or after that. He did win a stage in La Vuelta 2000, but the 98 edition race was really...uuhm special. I can't quite remember if he actually won the stage to Navacerrada from the favorite group, which would've been pretty amazing too.

- Erik Dekker (Rabobank, Tour de France 2000, three stage wins)...also quite a breakthrough race for Dekker, although not an unknown entity. His stage win to Lausanne, holding off a charging peloton, was quite something.

- Ivan Parra (Selle Italia, Giro d'Italia 2005, two stage wins)...two weeks of not much, and bam! two stage wins in a row on massive mountain stages.

Feel free to add more.
Thomas de Gendt, 2012 Giro.

@mortand.
Two words: Dave Zabriskie (sp?).
I think he would be a great addition to the breakaway team. I can't remember the year, but he did an epic solo break in the Vuelta that would impress the likes of Marie. I don't think it was 220 km's, but he rode a long time by himself to claim victory in a race that included a lot of FDD picks.
Stack him together with Thierry and flat TdF stages wouldn't be so boring. They might have a chance to hold off the peloton.

The most freakiest not picked by anyone could be Peter Luttenberger 1996 where he destroyed Tour de Suisse and was fifth overall in one of the most hardcore TDFs. I tried to avoid people like Roberto Pistore and Stefano Faustini who were crazy good but only around for one good GT. Pascal Richard could be one for the breakaway team but he was much more than just that of course.

I thought about a jersey with the colours of the Amaya team with this image:

golden_retriever_dog_cartoon_tile-r0cfdffaa4b30404db7af7fd58ffa36be_agtk1_8byvr_324.jpg

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm a bit surprised, nobody picked 1993 Giro Fondriest as a stagehunter and domestique.
That year he won: Milano-San Remo, Tirreno-Adriatico, Giro del Trentino, La Flèche Wallonne, Zuri Metzgete and Giro dell'Emilia.
He also was 8th overall in the Giro, 2nd in Catalunya, 3rd in LBL and 4th in the AGR.
He'd be a great stagehunter and he also could protect your teamleader on hilly and flat stages, a great pick.
I'm also surprised that nobody picked the other 2 members of the 1994 Fleche trio.

Re: Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
the delgados said:
Note to all teams:
--Thierry Marie
Maybe Thierry can go in the French wildcard squad, surely there would be one invited, regardless of whether they'd fit in against the top level chargers, to keep ASO happy. The 2000 Moreau being picked by the Fuentes Gynæcology team is a bit of a shame for the selection possibilities though.

Équipe du Peloton à Deux Vitesses (PDV)

Thierry Marie ('91 Tour)
Thomas Voeckler ('11 Tour)
Jacky Durand ('99 Tour) (look, any time you win lanterne rouge AND super combativité in the same race, you are a legend)
Pascal Lino ('92 Tour)
Christophe Rinero ('98 Tour)
Frédéric Moncassin ('96 Tour)
John Gadret ('11 Giro)
François Simon ('01 Tour)
Jean-Christophe Peraud ('14 Tour)

Named on page 2 or 3 and finally ignored, buried: laurent Madouas. :D RIP

He and Casero were my backups for the last pick in case somebody took Jaskuła, though because of needing more flat engines I was leaning more towards Casero, and it would have been the 2000 version rather than the Vuelta-winning one because of his flat power & TT performance being better in 2000.

Re:

Eagle said:
I wonder if there would be many differences if this draft started after this tour, some stellar performances since
The rule was '90-'14. In '15, so far, I think Landa, Thomas would have been picked. My Dawg of '13 was better than the '15 so far: there's even a big thread about it these days :rolleyes: . Bertie, Nibbles had much better, eyebrow raising GTs. TJVG or Nairito? Too early to decide.

Team Perestroika Alliteratsija
Vyacheslav Ekimov (Tour 2003)
Aleksandr Gontchenkov (Giro 1996, on recommendation of hrotha)
Tanel Kangert (Giro 2013)
Vladimir Karpets (Giro 2005)
Vasil Kiryienka (Giro 2008)
Andrey Kivilev RIP (Tour 2003)
Dmitry Konyshev (Tour 1991)
Vladimir Poulnikov (Giro 1990)
Andrey Zintchenko (Vuelta 1998)

Re:

ESP.gif
Spain: 20
ITA.gif
Italy: 18
USA.gif
USA: 7
SUI.gif
Switzerland: 5
FRA.gif
France: 4
GER.gif
Germany: 4
gbr.gif
Great Britain: 4
BEL.gif
Belgium: 4
COL.gif
Colombia: 3
DEN.gif
Denmark: 3
RUS.gif
Russia: 3
AUS.gif
Australia: 3
UKR.gif
Ukraine: 2
kaz.gif
Kazakhstan: 2
pol.gif
Poland: 1
UZB.gif
Uzbekistan: 1
LAT.gif
Lettonia: 1
LUX.gif
Luxembourg: 1
NOR.gif
Norway: 1
LVxyE0Q.jpg
European Union: 1
SVK.gif
Slovakia: 1
LTU.gif
Lithuania: 1

statistics: each team with two riders from Spain on average, exactly half of riders in the ten first teams are from Italy, Spain or USA (only seven Americans), 22 different nations, Netherlands fail again

64 cyclists that are retired, 22 active (not sure about Cobo), one (Ricky) suspended, three are deceased

TRENDING THREADS