• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Favourite Vino Moment

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I was thinking about making this thread for the end of the tour but the fact that his crash has effectively ended his career I thought we could post it now.

Firstly, lets hope Vino is alright. What a character he is and and ambassador for the sport.

What is your favourite Vino moment? It can be on or off the bike or it simply could be a quote. I thought Vino deserved a thread for this type of thing as the Crazy Kazakh has brought many moments of joy and humour to many of us.

cabello.jpg

If this thread is too similar to the Vino comeback thread then could the Mods delete it

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
although I love Vino's racing style, my like for him ends there for many reasons widely spoken about. I think ambassador is a bit rich.

However, I've enjoyed his efforts over the last couple of years in particular his efforts at last years Giro and Tour. Riding for himself and then Alberto, he showed amazing strength and panache.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Bennyl said:
although I love Vino's racing style, my like for him ends there for many reasons widely spoken about. I think ambassador is a bit rich.

However, I've enjoyed his efforts over the last couple of years in particular his efforts at last years Giro and Tour. Riding for himself and then Alberto, he showed amazing strength and panache.
I said ambassador due to the birth of Astana and the fact that their are so many Kazakhs starting to come through the pro ranks.

Selfishly I would say Stage 15 of the 2007 Tour (because I'd backed him at 20-1) but if there was one race that I thought summed him up it was when he won the final stage of the 2005 Tour. I mean, he had no right to win that stage ahead of the sprinters, and how many riders high up on the GC would even have tried, but he had a go nonetheless and his aggression paid off.

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
The Barb said:
Selfishly I would say Stage 15 of the 2007 Tour (because I'd backed him at 20-1) but if there was one race that I thought summed him up it was when he won the final stage of the 2005 Tour. I mean, he had no right to win that stage ahead of the sprinters, and how many riders high up on the GC would even have tried, but he had a go nonetheless and his aggression paid off.

So true!! Simply amazing that was.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Vino's stage win in Loudenvielle (even if he isn't the official winner) will be something I will always remember of him. That guy rode like a true champion. he showed true guts and I was guttered to find out he tested positive but none the less a great vicotry. That victory defines Vino's style.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
For me it has to be his win on the Champs-Elysees. Really summed up the power, aggression, and fearless attitude he brought to the sport. He's the only non-sprinter to win the stage this decade. Despite his transgressions, he will be missed.

The stage that effectively won him the '06 Vuelta (about stage 16?). He sent Kaschekin up the road on the climb, then later took off after him, Valverdje nearly got back on before Vino exploded again on the descent and increased his lead on the flat run in to the finish. The GC was decided by something other than pure climbing or TT which is quite rare, and typified Vino's unique racing style/aggression.

Vino was free to race for himself in the 2003 Tour when Ulle was with Bianchi. The final GC standings that year were.
1 Lance Armstrong (USPS)
2 Jan Ullrich (Team Bianchi)
3 Alexander Vinokourov (Team Telekom)
It was fun to see him in a situation where he did not have to work for someone else.

"Champs-Elysees is for the sprinters? Naah!"

Gotta admit I don't really remember but having the guts to do something like that just proves what an amazing person he is.

On Danish TV they've talked a bit about what stages the various riders mark as a possible stage. As they said; "Vino just marks every stage. You never know with that guy!"

rxgqgxnyfz said:

Wow. I'd heard about this. Really great.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Winning Paris-Nice for Kivilev.
His comeback LBL win.
Champs Elysees.
The Vuelta stage he gave to Kasheskin.
His Gold Race victory.

Vino's career was amazing. Too bad they banned him for 2 years, that was really a loss.
My last idol :(

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
The one that sticks in my mind is Gap 2003, the day Lance went cross country and Beloki crashed. That was such a nothing stage on paper, should've just been one for the breakaway to decide the victory and the GC guys stay together. Instead Vino and Beloki exploded the race completely and Vino nearly snatched yellow off the American. A great day's racing.

Of course Champs Elysees takes some beating.

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
So many possibilities, so I'm going with the top 3 format. In no particular order (drum roll please)...

- Champs Elysees 2005 for sheer audacity. "Ceremonial stage? Whatever, I'm going to get me 5th place. Take that, Levi."
- Gap 2003 for exploding the race, even if most remember this for Beloki and Lance's "miracle" excursion.
- Paris Nice 2003, both his stage win and overall. What a way to remember Kivilev.

I'm going to miss Vino, he has always been a favourite rider of mine. I know he's a convicted drug cheat, but that doesn't change the fact you never know what's going to happen when he slaps on a number. Vino made races exciting, and that's what I'll remember him for.

TRENDING THREADS