• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Federal Prosecutor Doug Miller Assigned to Landis case

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

Jimmy Riddle said:
Yes I particularly want to see the faces of those cancer victims who donate to LiveStrong all the time. I would pay money to see them get all upset at there little hero getting caught up in this police investigation.

Then they will feel like I do everyday at the state of my life! This will make it fair! Hahaha!

I want them to send their money to organizations not set up to feed the ego of a narcissist liar.

A

Anonymous

Jimmy Riddle said:
You missed the lethal EPO injection gag. That's what I would have used.

I shouldn't giggle at my own jokes.

Okay, that is funny.

A

Anonymous

python said:
can we just ignore the trolls ?

on topic, i found this statistic very interesting - overall conviction rate in america is 65-80% with california consistently being hiigher - around 80-90%.

in miller's county it's like 90%. does not look good for armstrong typical skating

http://www.grandjuryfoundation.org/lgconvictions_table2.pdf

Have you noticed that the only people left defending Armstrong are Trolls? There used to be just regular people posting on cycling forums in defense of The Uniballer. Now, all we have are a series of screen names for one mentally ill guy in England, and a sprinkling of other less successful trolls bent on muddying the waters. The Fanboy Club is in bad shape these days. All they are left with are some old couches with stains on them, a flickering beer sign, and a few losers with no home to go to anymore. There isn't even a Charles Bukowski around there to make the place a little bit interesting.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
My wish list:
To be a fly on the wall of a Novitzky/Miller meeting.
To be a fly on the wall of a LA/JB meeting.
For Cath Wiggins to return to twitter and give her opinions on all this.

Mar 10, 2009
www.rolfraehansen.com
thingswelike said:
My wish list:
To be a fly on the wall of a Novitzky/Miller meeting.
To be a fly on the wall of a LA/JB meeting.
For Cath Wiggins to return to twitter and give her opinions on all this.

And what of Bradley, one of the most opinionated, out-spoken riders, always ready to verbally attack a doper? He's not said a word in public since the Landis email was leaked. He's probably just been told by Sky's PR machine to keep quiet but to some I'm sure his silence speaks volumes.

rolfrae said:
And what of Bradley, one of the most opinionated, out-spoken riders, always ready to verbally attack a doper? He's not said a word in public since the Landis email was leaked. He's probably just been told by Sky's PR machine to keep quiet but to some I'm sure his silence speaks volumes.

He is probably scared that Lim will crack within the first minute of being questioned.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
He is probably scared that Lim will crack within the first minute of being questioned.
down go CVdV and Wigans

lets see how CVdV performs this year in July. I expect all US riders, to perform mediocre.

rolfrae said:

Someone who has watched too many dramas may think that young Bradders had something going on with Lim, fessed up to his Mrs, who is now considering the relationship and so wants the be left alone...

Not me, mind. :p

Anyway, couldn't care about his private life, but it is odd that he's been so silent on this. Looks from the outside like he's keeping his head down. I'll be extremely disappointed if he is/was doping given how he has built himself up to be a poster-boy for the "clean GT contender" brigade.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Nothing so far in this affair has given me any reason to doubt the current cleanliness of the SKY and Garmin riders.
Maybe I'm on my own, but hey - I need someone to root for!

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
MacRoadie said:
Let's see.

Michael Milken, net worth $2.1 BILLION, RICO charge, 10 years in prison.

John Rigas (Adelphia), net worth $2.0 BILLION, tax evasion, 15 years in prison

Bernie Madoff, net worth $825 MILLION, securities fraud, 150 years in prison

Kenneth Lay (ENRON), net worth $400+ MILLION, fraud, 45 years in prison

Dennis Kozlowski (Tyco), net worth $400 MILLION, fraud, 25 years in prison

All of these guys gave millions to charity. They should really let them free. Think of the cancer patents.

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Colm.Murphy said:
This is not that.

This is defrauding the govt. Taking USPS money under the guise of winning clean.

Do some research. This is heading right towards RICO.

Over.

I don't really see the angle where there could be prosecution for fraud. I'm not a legal scholar, but don't you have to prove deliberate deceit and material damages to have criminal fraud? How was the USPS damaged materially by Tailwind? Did they not receive the promotion for which they contracted?

In an investigation led by the FDA, I would expect the focus to be on activities related to their jurisdiction: illegal distribution of prescription drugs, or perhaps lower-level controlled substances like steroids. Now, in the course of the investigation, it would not surprise me if other crimes were discovered or even committed: cover-ups, conspiracy, bribery, extortion, racketeering, tax evasion, and perjury could all emerge in the course of this investigation, which would provide additional evidence to broaden and extend the investigation. Given the ignorance and arrogance prevalent within the sport, nothing would surprise me.

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Wheels Go Round and Round said:
the tax evasion part always gets a good laugh............look at Obama's cabinet.............how many of them have never paid taxes?

Last time I checked Irwin Schiff and thousands of others incarcerated for federal tax law violations were not laughing.

gjdavis60 said:
Last time I checked Irwin Schiff and thousands of others incarcerated for federal tax law violations were not laughing.

go take a look at the back taxes owed by people in govt positions......that are still serving..........then get back to me

I'd say they are still laughing;)

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
On the fraud angle, I'm still curious about the effect of the SCA litigation. If the SCA contract was basically insurance to pay prize or bonus money to Armstrong/Tailwind if he won a certain number of Tours, and those victories are proven to have been obtained by "improper" means (in violation of whatever WADA/UCI rules were in effect), then isn't this a case of fraud against SCA? Both from a civil and criminal standpoint? That was a $7.5 million recovery (including attorneys' fees). Or was the effect of the arbitration finding that the doping issue was completely irrelevant, so the means by which the victories were obtained was also irrelevant?

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
Wheels Go Round and Round said:
your logic is flawed too...........all the top guys were doped so if he doesn't win then the next doper in line wins............

Are you lying and cheating in your private life?

You're utilizing the "everybody cheats" defense?:eek:

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Lance will have the G-Men wearing LiveStrong Bands by the time this is all over with.

Sure, Lance will pay a big "fine" ouch ouch.

I'm guessing around $500,000.

redtreviso said:
All charges against Ken Lay were vacated. Linda Lay struggles by on 40k a week.

Point of order.

Kenneth Lay was found guilty by a jury and was scheduled for sentencing, but inconveniently died prior to exhaustion of his appeals. As a result, and based on precedent in the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, his attorneys filed a Motion for Abatement which then had to be granted. The conviction was abated, not vacated.

This is significantly and materially different than vacating a conviction. Convictions may be vacated due to judicial error, satisfaction of some court order (counseling, community service, completion of probation), or as a result of ineffective legal assistance from counsel or prosecutorial misconduct, among other things.

Lay's conviction was abated because he died, that's it. Had he not died, he would have been sentenced and his appeals process would have continued but he'd probably be sitting in prison today.

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:
Lance will have the G-Men wearing LiveStrong Bands by the time this is all over with.

Sure, Lance will pay a big "fine" ouch ouch.

I'm guessing around $500,000.

He may end up paying SCA $17.5 million (treble damages plus the $2.5 million in attorneys' fees previously paid).

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
gjdavis60 said:
I don't really see the angle where there could be prosecution for fraud. I'm not a legal scholar, but don't you have to prove deliberate deceit and material damages to have criminal fraud? How was the USPS damaged materially by Tailwind? Did they not receive the promotion for which they contracted?

In an investigation led by the FDA, I would expect the focus to be on activities related to their jurisdiction: illegal distribution of prescription drugs, or perhaps lower-level controlled substances like steroids. Now, in the course of the investigation, it would not surprise me if other crimes were discovered or even committed: cover-ups, conspiracy, bribery, extortion, racketeering, tax evasion, and perjury could all emerge in the course of this investigation, which would provide additional evidence to broaden and extend the investigation. Given the ignorance and arrogance prevalent within the sport, nothing would surprise me.

It is pretty simple:

Tailwind conspired to take money under false pretense to promote USPS.

They more than likely had a provision in their contract stating that the would not break the law or the rules of their sport in undertaking the promotion of USPS. In fact, there are Federal contracting guidelines that require inclusion of this type of provision for anyone contracting with the govt., it is standard language.

They used organized doping (illegal by law, and in the rule of the sport) to assist in achieving results, thereby promoting USPS.

They surely concealed this lawbreaking behavior and information from the Govt., for had the Govt. known, they would have cancelled the contract for breach.

Tailwind endeavored to perform this deception repeatedly, over a pattern of years, within an organized enterprise with clear structure, as well as clear beneficiaries of the deception. They knowingly made fraudulent claims that the work they were doing was above board.

USPS continued to pay against the contract, as they believed there was no law breaking/rule breaking going on.

The damage is occurring now. The fraud is being revealed. The USPS cannot b happy to finally come to understand that the wins were not genuine, in the sense that they were obtained legally and within the rules of the sport.

Playing the logic game, that "they did what everyone was doing", or , "the USPS got what they wanted", or some other non-sense, is not valid thought.

TO the extent it matches with the necessary items to qualify for RICO, better do some homework, as this fraud scheme EXCEEDS what is generally accepted or necessary to be taken as RICO. As a matter of preference and authority, the prosecutor can take this in several directions. I am simply saying that should Miller choose, he has all the criteria to make it RICO.

So, as said before, it is a grim outlook for the Tailwind crew and Lance.

Very grim.