• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

File under "You have got to be &$(%ing kidding me?!

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
blackcat said:
I thought Evans tested at 92. Walker was 92. I was not aware Mcgee was that high,are you sure hog?

From the man himself.... I know people who also attest to those results.

Evans has no where near the physiology of McGee.

Brett Aitken | 2 years ago

I only googled this because I was watching a documentary on tv about it. I scored 93.9 ml/kg/min at the South Australian Institute of Sport in 1991 and 93.6 ml/kg/min in 1989 and wanted to know if it was the highest ever recorded. I went on to win Olympic Gold in Sydney 2000 in the Madison Cycling event 'drug free'! If Chris Barnes had done his research he would have seen that Stuart O'Grady and Brad McGee (also in cycling) had tested above 92 at SASI under the sports scientist 'Neil Craig' who also worked under the AIS in the 90's

http://www.topendsports.com/testing/records/vo2max.htm#

The best test results achieved by Evans at the AIS between the ages of 18 and 24 was a maximum aerobic power output of 455W (7.3 W.kg-1 body mass). This power output was associated with a VO2max of 5.65 L.min-1 or 87 ml.kg-1.min-1 – this score remains one of the highest ever recorded for any athlete tested at the AIS in Canberra. Threshold for Cadel was estimated at 370W or ~6.0 W.kg-1.

http://www.ridemedia.com.au/past-issue/lance-vs-cadel-a-study-of-two-22-year-olds/

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
I aint going to get on peoples tits if they say they think Evans was a super talented rider who 30 years ago might have been winning gts pre EPO.

The same arguments seem to have been made for Contador and Pantani both of whom showed real good talent in tests as well.

But to argue, in 2015 when even the sell out journos concede the entire decade was lost to doping, that a guy who finished 4th in the Tour de Operation Puerto, a few seconds behind Contador the year he broke the Peyresoudes record in which the Tour was almost suspended becuase of all the doping, thrashed the likes of Kohl in 2008 in the year everyone was on CERA, won the 2009 Worlds in the year 37 year old Armstrong humiliated everyone involved in anti doping, was doing it clean. Come on guys, its like arguing over whether the world is round and some people saying there are good reasons to believe it might be flat.

good thread on this http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=19049&highlight=Evans

blackcat said:
never rode for Saeco. He rode one Weisbauer Tour because Rominger wanted to sell him to a major.

And he won that Weisbauer Rund in 2001.

he also was 3rd in u19 jnr tt on Robbie Mcewen's chrono bike in 1995. Think Josh Collingwood an australian rider who became a doctor of medicine, came second or won that u19 Worlds tt. That was when Evans was a mtb'er and they drafted him onto the road team.

no doubt, Evans was a phenomenal talent.

Volvo-Cannondale mtb team in n america =/= Saeco-Cannondale. But Tony Rominger his manager had him drafted to Saeco to get across to the road on a big contract with a major team

I mean the Saeco road team in 2001. My initial recollection was almost the same that Evans was arranged a guest appearance to get noticed, but he actually rode more races for them than I remembered.

http://cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/rider_palm.asp?riderid=161&year=2001&all=1&current=0

Also, beating Obwaller and Vandelli in Austria = another sign of obvious doping as those guys were jacked up tour de San Luis style

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
roundabout said:
I mean the Saeco road team in 2001. My initial recollection was almost the same that Evans was arranged a guest appearance to get noticed, but he actually rode more races for them than I remembered.

http://cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/rider_palm.asp?riderid=161&year=2001&all=1&current=0

Also, beating Obwaller and Vandelli in Austria = another sign of obvious doping as those guys were jacked up tour de San Luis style
yeah, he was stagiare. a coupe of months late 2001 on the road. No doubt he was also getting some decent compensation. Tony Rominger after all.

The Hitch said:
I aint going to get on peoples tits if they say they think Evans was a super talented rider who 30 years ago might have been winning gts pre EPO.

The same arguments seem to have been made for Contador and Pantani both of whom showed real good talent in tests as well.

But to argue, in 2015 when even the sell out journos concede the entire decade was lost to doping, that a guy who finished 4th in the Tour de Operation Puerto, a few seconds behind Contador the year he broke the Peyresoudes record in which the Tour was almost suspended becuase of all the doping, thrashed the likes of Kohl in 2008 in the year everyone was on CERA, won the 2009 Worlds in the year 37 year old Armstrong humiliated everyone involved in anti doping, was doing it clean. Come on guys, its like arguing over whether the world is round and some people saying there are good reasons to believe it might be flat.

They (AC and Chicken) were both almost a minute and a half slower than the record.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
roundabout said:

i stand corrected. he rode more than just a stagiare. apologies if i came off as a know-it-all

tho, the australian races, it is just more donning a jersey, but under the cannondale rode garb.

The Hitch said:

The same arguments seem to have been made for Contador and Pantani both of whom showed real good talent in tests as well. Quintana as well from those who believe ghost pre gt visits to Colombia are a strange way to prepare for gts.

But to argue, in 2015 when even the sell out journos concede the entire decade was lost to doping, that a guy who finished 4th in the Tour de Operation Puerto, a few seconds behind Contador the year he broke the Peyresoudes record in which the Tour was almost suspended becuase of all the doping, thrashed the likes of Kohl in 2008 in the year everyone was on CERA, won the 2009 Worlds in the year 37 year old Armstrong humiliated everyone involved in anti doping was doing it clean. Its not like he was just resting and peaking for the Tour either. In 2007 he finished world number 1 in both the UCI rankings and the cq rankings. Over the second half of the decade he scored more cq points than anyone sans Alejandro Valverde and probably top 4 or 5 for the entire decade which included all Armstrongs tours.
Come on guys, its like arguing over whether the world is round and some people saying there are good reasons to believe it might be flat.

I meant to be agreeing with your earlier post. Worded it clumsily.

The Hitch said:
Has Evans actually had more support than the average anglophone rider. There are dozens who say Froome is clean as well, dozens who say Wiggins is clean, dozens who said Armstrong was clean etc.

You try to hide your dislike for Evans but you fail again and you missed my point completely because you obviously saw the word Evans. Of course I am referred to as a fan boy once again because I am a fan of Evans which I have never hidden.

I am not saying Evans is clean what I am saying is why do high profile people like Hamilton an admitted doper, Lemond, Boonen and others specifically single out Evans as being clean. They don't do this with other GT winners. Have you ever heard Hamilton or Lemond say that Contador is clean ? Even if what they say about Evans is wrong what is their motivation ? So far no one has answered this. Evans never rode in a team with them is not good friends with them so to me it seems odd. Lemond categorically stated that Evans should have won three Tours if not for doping. So why does he believe this ? Since the Armstrong era the above people have not said the same about another Tour winner so what gives ?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
movingtarget said:
You try to hide your dislike for Evans but you fail again and you missed my point completely because you obviously saw the word Evans. Of course I am referred to as a fan boy once again because I am a fan of Evans which I have never hidden.

I am not saying Evans is clean what I am saying is why do high profile people like Hamilton an admitted doper, Lemond, Boonen and others specifically single out Evans as being clean. They don't do this with other GT winners. Have you ever heard Hamilton or Lemond say that Contador is clean ? Even if what they say about Evans is wrong what is their motivation ? So far no one has answered this. Evans never rode in a team with them is not good friends with them so to me it seems odd. Lemond categorically stated that Evans should have won three Tours if not for doping. So why does he believe this ? Since the Armstrong era the above people have not said the same about another Tour winner so what gives ?
it is their definition of "clean".

clean is probably defined by Vaughters in machine calibration errors. And like Jean-Francois Quenet, as non-excessive doping.

that, is clean. So Prudhomme can compliment you.

movingtarget said:
Lemond categorically stated that Evans should have won three Tours if not for doping. So why does he believe this ?

saying "if not for doping" is interesting - I'd read that as "if all doping was removed" or along the lines of if all riders were doing it clean...
I don't think it's a statement that indicates that Evans was clean at the time, only that he'd have benefited more and won more if it came down to pure genetics/talent/etc with all riders not being doped.

Archibald said:
saying "if not for doping" is interesting - I'd read that as "if all doping was removed" or along the lines of if all riders were doing it clean...
I don't think it's a statement that indicates that Evans was clean at the time, only that he'd have benefited more and won more if it came down to pure genetics/talent/etc with all riders not being doped.

I don't think any of the cyclists are all too smart. So I think pretty much what they all say is off the cuff type stuff, and not pre-meditated. People here are always analysing what these cyclist say too much. There's no hidden meanings, no planned responses, and they probably change their mind on a weekly basis, hence sometimes the contradictions.

This quote from lemond probably means exactly what you think it does on face value. He was probably asked a direct question, and gave an appropriate answer for the situation he was in.

The fact is, he doesn't know, Evans seems so reclusive that nobody would know one way or the other.

Nick777 said:
McGee listed his Vo2 as 88 on his old website. A better web person than me should be able to find it. 89 listed on the link below.

Will Walker broke the record - 94.

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/features/?id=2003/ais_juniors_get_ready
Will Walker - poor guy, he had talent to burn :(

Does anyone know how he's going after his last hospitalisation? From what I heard it wasn't good news. He was another one of Sassi's pupils and even ended up marrying his daughter.

42x16ss said:
Will Walker - poor guy, he had talent to burn :(

Does anyone know how he's going after his last hospitalisation? From what I heard it wasn't good news. He was another one of Sassi's pupils and even ended up marrying his daughter.

He's ok I think. Check out cyclingtips website - I think they have an interview with him

The Hitch said:
Has Evans actually had more support than the average anglophone rider. There are dozens who say Froome is clean as well, dozens who say Wiggins is clean, dozens who said Armstrong was clean etc.
I agree about Armstrong. But don't see many people defending Froome and Wiggins. Even their fans are suspicious to some extent. Is not the same as with Evans. I don't feel the same way.

By no means I am saying that Evans is clean but he gets the benefit of the doubt a lot more than the other two.

Escarabajo said:
I agree about Armstrong. But don't see many people defending Froome and Wiggins. Even their fans are suspicious to some extent. Is not the same as with Evans. I don't feel the same way.

By no means I am saying that Evans is clean but he gets the benefit of the doubt a lot more than the other two.

agree with you. maybe because Evans had a long ans successfull career.
but in his case I never noticed the sheer hate and accusation Froome/Wiggo/Sky have been getting

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
pastronef said:
but in his case I never noticed the sheer hate and accusation Froome/Wiggo/Sky have been getting
that Sky/Froome/Wiggins get more discussion than Evans is understandable.
Evans is as obvious a doper as Froome/Wiggins, but
1. he's rather less hypocrit about it (i.e. not shouting "I'm clean" off the rooftops).
2. he was never the frontman of a USPS-style mountain train.
3. he didn't go from GT bus to GT podium, so represents a more acceptable doper.
4. he's from the Armstrong era, so hardly requires an 'did/does he or did/does he not' discussion.

movingtarget said:

If you thought this through you would realize that the reason a handful of people (who it needs to be reiterated don't actually have the faintest clue in the world about whether dans was doping and who collectively have been wrong more times than a broken clock) have backed Evans as clean is because he's a tdf winner. Which means he's always in the press which means when it comes time to give an example of how the sport has cleaned up they choose him. Lemond btw has hyped every gt winner since Armstrong as clean including Nibali and Quintana last year and said that he doesn't consider small positives like contador to be doping.

Froome, Wiggins and Nibali have all received similar backing since their tour wins. Andrew hood even thinks that he has ebidence Nibali is clean.

So you give me a list of people who said Evans is clean. Here's a list of people who have said contador is clean. David Millar, Samuel Sanchez, Bradley Wiggins, Greg Lemond, Jonathan Vaughters, Sean Kelly, Stephen Roche, Andy Schlec
Mam how could such a large number of people in the sport say contador is clean if he isn't? Must mean it's true :rolleyes:

pastronef said:

You joining the forum after Evans was relevant in cycling races might have something to do wish it.

Evans himself was never the hypocrite sky and recently Nibali are but his fans were even worse coming up with arguments so devoid of logic it's a miracle they had the brain power to operate computers.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
You joining the forum after Evans was relevant in cycling races might have something to do wish it.

Evans himself was never the hypocrite sky and recently Nibali are but his fans were even worse coming up with arguments so devoid of logic it's a miracle they had the brain power to operate computers.
famously by AusCycleFan94

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
blackcat said:
never rode for Saeco. He rode one Weisbauer Tour because Rominger wanted to sell him to a major.....Tony Rominger his manager had him drafted to Saeco to get across to the road on a big contract with a major team

oh ya, clean, pristine and no caffeine Mr. Tony Rominger... he would have been a moral pure influence on Mr. Evans.

What is Cadel's homeostatic HCT?
d

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
sniper said:
that Sky/Froome/Wiggins get more discussion than Evans is understandable.
Evans is as obvious a doper as Froome/Wiggins, but
1. he's rather less hypocrit about it (i.e. not shouting "I'm clean" off the rooftops).
2. he was never the frontman of a USPS-style mountain train.
3. he didn't go from GT bus to GT podium, so represents a >>> more acceptable doper. <<<

this may deserve a dedicated poll/thread - something like "TOP10 acceptable dopers"