• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Floyd Landis 2006 TdF Champion

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Possibly one of the greatest stage victories in the history of the TdF was Floyd's victory on the 17th stage of the '06 campaign. It set the stage for the final outcome and it proved that another American was again in the drivers seat of the world's greatest bike race. Yes, the TdF is the biggest, most influential cycling event in the world. Lots of pride and lots of money connected to that event. Lots of false-pride and lots of corrupt money exchanging hands behind the scenes.

The French don't like it when foreigners win on their turf. The French have an "attitude" that goes back well before the French Revolution. From the same family bloodlines, where "old" world money comes from, lies a power grabbing group that seeks to control anything they desire. Some of those old bloodlines live in France, and they don't like it when Americans with flair kick their a** on their turf. Lance was always riding on the edge during his run. He knew something was up then and constantly had to deal with a media, owned and manipulated by those same families, that questioned his integrity. Floyd was not so savvy in the world beyond his up bringing. He was innocent and naive. He didn't realize what power they had. How they could buy off some lab or lab technician with a few hundred thousand Euros (heck, they may even own the lab). They have power and they love to control the masses. Floyd was about as clean as clean could get, except for that shot of Jack D.

After Lance retired and decided to come back, he knew of their power, knew they could do anything the wanted to do. So, to protect himself, he is getting tested "in-house" by the Astana crew. He was going to have it done by another doctor but when Astana stepped up he didn't need to. Lance knows that once the sample leaves him, what it contains is subject to tampering. As long as those in-house samples of Lances are collected (possibly every day if necessary) by a reputable source, dated and properly stored, THAT is all that matters. What is done with the samples that go to a potentially corrupt lab technician is none of Lances concern. To bad Floyd hadn't taken the same precautionary measures back in '06 and had announced that he had in-house samples after each stage. Wow, imagine the outcome then!

Don't be concerned Floyd. You know you didn't need anything to improve your performance and that is all that matters. You are a great hero and mentor to myself and others in the race cycling world, who know that we live in a world full of corrupt politicians owned by the greedy corporations, who in turn are owned by families with old, very old money that possess' an awful stench.

As those same families continue to siphon off "bail out" money that Americans worked hard for, eventually, after our economy collapses (2009), then people who doubted you (even in this thread) will get to experience first hand, who is running the show and how we are all affected and infected.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
And people wonder why we have very little patience for and respect of American cycling fans.

As a general rule they know nothing. Sometimes this lack of knowledge reaches epic proportions (exhibited beautifully by our original poster in this thread).

A

Anonymous

Chain jerking right off the bat. I wonder who this is? Jeff Vader, is that you?

a couple of years ago over on the VN forums i tried making a parody press release to lighten the mood a bit and got subjected to a virtual lynching. i've learned my lesson and will tread lightly around this topic. i'll take whatever everyone else is having, pot belge?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
elumgurd said:
As a general rule they know nothing. Sometimes this lack of knowledge reaches epic proportions (exhibited beautifully by our original poster in this thread).

Here is how the (American) thinking goes...
Tyler has a dog, so he couldn't be a cheat.
Floyd is a Mennonite, so he wouldn't cheat.
Lance is the most tested athlete in the world, and he has a foundation, thus he is clearly the victim of a (French) witch-hunt.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
:eek:
this is either the funniest thing I have read for a long time or the most disturbing because the guy that wrote this is either a great comedian or a crazy hill billy who rides a bike. either way i love it

Hooptie said:
Lance is the most tested athlete in the world, and he has a foundation, thus he is clearly the victim of a (French) witch-hunt.

now now...let's not making sweeping generalizations of "all" American fans :)

the initial post was interesting, though...i'll give it that.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Now this message may just be a total gee up but .......... if the moderators are going to allow unfounded accusations against officials, labs, lab technicians, or anyone for that matter to be posted on this forum it is quickly going to degenerate in to something I will not want to particpate in.

Thanks,

Buddy

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
It takes a special type of person to believe in someone in the face of so much evidence, but to believe that theres a conspiracy against all american riders too stop them winning is a bit over the top. Especially considering one of them won it seven times. I agree, you dont like to see mods have to be constantly jumping on threads and shutting them down but this has alot of disturbing anti-french crap in it (well the op does anyway everything after that is just people laughing).

A

Anonymous

RichardH said:
(well the op does anyway everything after that is just people laughing).

Which I think indicates that most of you are sane and intelligent - as we've always known CN readers to be from the huge number of emails we get - and will help set the tone for these forums so that, ahem, unusual opinions get the credence they deserve.

If something really offensive is posted, please use the alert mechanism to let us know. That's this symbol:

report.gif

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Perhaps his delusions are a side affect of experimentation or implants during an alien abduction. A large number of Americans have been abducted by French hating aliens.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Hooptie said:

If you're French, Virenque is a hero.
If you're Italian - Basso only thought about doping.
If your English - David Millar is a heroic antidoper - even though he got caught red handed with EPO.

Let's face it - if the accused is from your country, most people give him the benefit of doubt. But if accused is an "outsider", you put more faith in accusations. Truth is probably somewhere in middle.

And the original post that started this was strange!

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
incompetent french lab

Floyd could have been cheating but, given the technical incompetence of the French lab, there's no way to know and no way that it knew. What was disclosed in the hearing testimony was unbelievable. Can we say lab = clueless!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
While I wholeheartedly disagree with the original poster, I am having a real problem understanding the nationalistic BS. It has no place on the boards, except in a positive light/

elumgurd, as I mentioned in the Paris-Nice thread, you are a tool, clearly attempting to define yourself as the anti-American idiot of the forum. Get a life. Your point in that thread was that we only started following cycling in 1999. What a joke.

In any case.... let he who lives in a performance-enhancing drugs glass house...

USA: Hamilton, Landis, etc.
Belgium: Merckx (yes, Eddy), Van den Broucke, Museeuw, etc.
UK: Simpson, Millar, etc.
France: let's just say "Festina"
Italy: Basso, Pantani, Garzelli
Spain: Where to begin? Kelme?
USSR/Russia/Former States: Abdoujaparov, Vino
Germany: Ullrich, Schumacher

I mean, really - what does this have to do with nationality? Seems like an equal opportunity offense.

As a Yank, I will tell you that I fully believe in Tyler and Floyd's guilt. I will also say that the AFLD is an abomination. It has nothing to do with national biases.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Only Floyd knows for sure; but the process went through to its conclusion and I accept that. He was found guilty, served his time, payed the price, and is back racing. Whether or not he did or didn't is no longer relevant. I'm doing my best to forget the '06 Tour.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Mark Trimmer said:
If you're French, Virenque is a hero.
Virenque is a joke in France. His denial, then confession that he was doped against his knowledge gave many Frenchmen a laugh. Still today he is a figure of fun and appears on reality TV as a dumb celebrity. To lie outrageously in front of the facts is sometimes called "doing a Virenque" in France. So for most in France, he's a loser.

Yes pre-Festina he was a hero but ever since that scandal cycling changed a lot in France and Virenque's reputation went down the drain.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Stani Kléber said:
Virenque is a joke in France. His denial, then confession that he was doped against his knowledge gave many Frenchmen a laugh. Still today he is a figure of fun and appears on reality TV as a dumb celebrity. To lie outrageously in front of the facts is sometimes called "doing a Virenque" in France. So for most in France, he's a loser.

Yes pre-Festina he was a hero but ever since that scandal cycling changed a lot in France and Virenque's reputation went down the drain.

+1 on that. Complete figure of fun.