• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Floyd Landis Interview

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

samhocking said:
I laughed at here's Bart Simpson in his tomb with all his sheep. I'm sure in context, it was pretty much tongue-in-cheek. Wasn't aware he as riding at all, but this looks like it's from last month looking at the memorial renovated?

No doubt it was tongue-in-cheek. It was also highly disrespectful.
I mean, Landis did the same thing; only difference being he had way better drugs that were of actual benefit.
I dunno--maybe I'm too sensitive; but it just seems off-putting to use the death of a cyclist to highlight your plight and shill your product.
Bart Simpson is something I'd expect to hear from an adolescent who knows nothing about the history of cycling.
To hear it come from the mouth of a former pro cyclist is just gauche.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

the delgados said:
samhocking said:
I laughed at here's Bart Simpson in his tomb with all his sheep. I'm sure in context, it was pretty much tongue-in-cheek. Wasn't aware he as riding at all, but this looks like it's from last month looking at the memorial renovated?

I mean, Landis did the same thing; only difference being he had way better drugs that were of actual benefit.
I dunno--maybe I'm too sensitive; but it just seems off-putting to use the death of a cyclist to highlight your plight and shill your product.
Bart Simpson is something I'd expect to hear from an adolescent who knows nothing about the history of cycling.

Are you missing that pro cycling is a circus? Tom Simpsons death is used by the ring masters and he is a hero to the likes of Wiggins, Millar et al! Similar with Pantani.

I think Landis making jokes is all part of his taking a poke at the circus!

Tom Simpson died on a mountain on his bike 50 years ago. What has the sport changed since then to honour that death? I would argue nothing. The sport has shown no respect to Tom Simpson or his family in ensuring that the culture ended on Ventoux.

Why not take a shot at those who ensure the sport still has a culture of doping instead of an easy target like Landis?

Benotti69 said:
the delgados said:
samhocking said:

Are you missing that pro cycling is a circus? Tom Simpsons death is used by the ring masters and he is a hero to the likes of Wiggins, Millar et al! Similar with Pantani.

Tom Simpson died on a mountain on his bike 50 years ago. What has the sport changed since then to honour that death? I would argue nothing. The sport has shown no respect to Tom Simpson or his family in ensuring that the culture ended on Ventoux.

Why not take a shot at those who ensure the sport still has a culture of doping instead of an easy target like Landis?

I know Landis was 'taking a poke at the circus.'
I also know that the circus was/is inhabited by human beings.
Like I said, I may be too sensitive about the Bart comment, but I don't envision cycling as some kind of morality play.
Drugs are a necessary part of top level cycling. Always has been and always will.
That's just the way it is, and Landis knows that as well as anyone.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

Benotti69 said:
the delgados said:
samhocking said:

Bang on the buck.

I loved Landis' take on it.
The idolization of Simpson is pathetic and deserves to be mocked.

Reactions: geisterhome
the delgados said:
Interesting interview.
Seems they spoke at length before recording soft-ball questions designed to hit Pharmstrong out of the park.
Clearly Bensinger knows eff all about cycling; he's all about digging the dirt about the a-hole Pharmstrong.
I was hoping the guy would dig a bit deeper and inquire about the threatening phone calls made to LeMond.
Flandis seems to get a free pass on that.

Good post! You're right, Flandis does seem to get a few passes on things. I don't think we'll ever truly know what happened with Flandis and Wonderboy, and their issues, and I'm sure BOTH are with holding much info about one another. I also believe(and this is just MY opinion), Floyd still is holding back something on Wonderboy, and is waiting for the perfect time to drop the hammer on him. Possibly during the next court date(s).

Benotti69 said:
the delgados said:
samhocking said:

Great post as well. :D

Benotti69 said:
the delgados said:
samhocking said:

That is just amazing.
Nobody forced Landis to parade in front of Simpsons "tomb." Nobody tricked him into trashtalking a dead man.
As far as I can tell, this is a PR event for his canabis product company. Someone close to him (or Landis himself) must have thought at one point it could be good publicity to call Simpsons a cocaine addict and to make fun of the way he died.
Yet, in your mind, we are almost the ones to blame for not being in awe of his humor. Shame on us who thought this was highly disrespectful.

You are allowed to find this video brillant. But please allow us to not like it without going all "why don't you blame the high instance of the sport instead of the guy mocking a dead memory"

I swear I will never understand

Re:

DanielSong39 said:
Are there any batteries that will provide 50+ watts for 6 hours? It wasn't just a climb or two; it was the entire stage.

OK, he did make a bike change, so 50+ watts for 3 hours. Impressive technology if it exists.

Not the entire stage, his attack started after 72km.
The stage did not last 6 hours he finished after 5h23m.
I dont think he needed much power in the descents.

What indicates he did?

I keep asking and so far not a single pertinent answer.
Instead of explaining why it's not impossible, could someone - at last - tell why is Landis under suspicion for mechanical doping?

Is there someone accusing him? Is there suspicious images? Did he have a relationship with someone we know for sure was building or selling tiny motors?

What is it?

Tienus said:
DanielSong39 said:
Are there any batteries that will provide 50+ watts for 6 hours? It wasn't just a climb or two; it was the entire stage.

OK, he did make a bike change, so 50+ watts for 3 hours. Impressive technology if it exists.

Not the entire stage, his attack started after 72km.
The stage did not last 6 hours he finished after 5h23m.
I dont think he needed much power in the descents.

and he changed the bike(without any reason) right in the middle betwen attack and the finish; he changed it 2.01h before finish

Re:

absolutely_not said:
What indicates he did?

I keep asking and so far not a single pertinent answer.
Instead of explaining why it's not impossible, could someone - at last - tell why is Landis under suspicion for mechanical doping?

Is there someone accusing him? Is there suspicious images? Did he have a relationship with someone we know for sure was building or selling tiny motors?

What is it?

its just logic, watch that stage again

Re:

red_flanders said:
Personally, I find, "it's just logic" somewhat unconvincing and rather ironic.

To some degree it depends on your definitions.. If we had access to the overhead video, I'm sure we'd see a lot of this in the stage to Morzine :lol:

Actually, I'm a little surprised there isn't a youtube compilation of all the sticky bottles from that day. There were A LOT.

What I find bizarre about Landis is how mainstream cycling journalists will not report this article. Just watch, it will not even get a mention in the daily newspapers, when given his experiences in the sport, this should be sports headline news. It is like they don't want anyone to spoil the fairytale, it's easier to diss the messenger. Given how he was bullied from within and almost lost his life over his past experiences, the authorities should hang their heads in shame at how it all panned out and they changed nothing.

Re:

ontheroad said:
What I find bizarre about Landis is how mainstream cycling journalists will not report this article. Just watch, it will not even get a mention in the daily newspapers, when given his experiences in the sport, this should be sports headline news. It is like they don't want anyone to spoil the fairytale, it's easier to diss the messenger. Given how he was bullied from within and almost lost his life over his past experiences, the authorities should hang their heads in shame at how it all panned out and they changed nothing.
What in it is worth reporting? Seriously, what? This is just some dude saying things that resonate with folk around here, but it sure as hell ain't news.

fmk_RoI said:
ontheroad said:
What in it is worth reporting? Seriously, what? This is just some dude saying things that resonate with folk around here, but it sure as hell ain't news.

Sure, just some dude who uncovered widespread cheating in cycling from the UCI down and the plaintiff in a $100m lawsuit with the federal government.

You do make my laugh at times, pretending to know better than “the folk around here “ :cool:

thehog said:
fmk_RoI said:
ontheroad said:

Sure, just some dude who uncovered widespread cheating in cycling from the UCI down and the plaintiff in a $100m lawsuit with the federal government.

You do make my laugh at times, pretending to know better than “the folk around here “ :cool:
Allow me to rephrase the question for you, as you don't appear to have understood it: What in it is worth reporting? Seriously, what?

Why would mainstream media run with this story ? - Cycling as a rule gets limited coverage in the mainstream media and this particular article is merely Landis ranting and raving - Finally the article was edited for length, clarity and legal reasons - Enough said.

fmk_RoI said:
ontheroad said:

''Just some dude?''. He is a former doped tour winner who spent years in the peloton right at the coalface, I think he has more knowledge than you me and plenty of other people on this forum put together. If you need me to spell out the comments that are newsworthy then you fit neatly into the category of children that Landis refers to. I don't know why you feel the constant need to slate other peoples opinions as though you are the fountain of all knowledge but if it makes you feel better then work away.

TRENDING THREADS