• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Floyd to be charged with fraud

Page 24 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
patricknd said:
kidding aside, it's all really asinine. unless it's a back door method to get info from the former investigation into the public eye, which was my first thought when i saw the initial report, (frighteningly enough i had the same thought as the hog:eek:) it's a ridiculous waste of time and money. on the other hand it is pretty entertaining, so what the hell.

Asinine is a good word for it.....especially when all they end up with is a parking ticket for a bad taste phone call

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Posting something constructive in such a thread would be nice. Certainly as opposed to inciting alcoholism.

Let's drop that aspect of the conversation and move on please.

It's really no more assinine than the clinic cult position in here. Zero credibility from that crowd because they would be howling for his head if RS had given him a job in 2010, and thus he wouldn't have had the urge to soul cleanse lol.

The only reason the clinic cult downplays this investigation is because LA was mean to him. All you have to do is look at the scoreboard on where somebody falls in relation to LA's good graces and you can easily predict what their spineless position will be.

I for one think he should not be prosecuted for my own selfish reasons; stupid people that would contribute to something like that deserve to be screwed over. But, if he used the funds for something other than his defense then it would seem he is SOL per the law, regardless of how bad he hates LA.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
Nice fishing Chris. What reaction are you looking for here?

Oh no Floyd is innocent it's not fraud? or Lance was the same, he stole money too....

You really are a one dimension type of guy.

Poor bait.

You'll have to do much better than this to gain a rise.

When did you became so bad. You're posts actually used to be reasonably good.

Step up.

My post went totally over your head, which is not surprising.

If he used funds for something other than his defense is what I am saying....not that he solicited funds knowing he was guilty.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
ChrisE said:
It's really no more assinine than the clinic cult position in here. Zero credibility from that crowd because they would be howling for his head if RS had given him a job in 2010, and thus he wouldn't have had the urge to soul cleanse lol.

The only reason the clinic cult downplays this investigation is because LA was mean to him. All you have to do is look at the scoreboard on where somebody falls in relation to LA's good graces and you can easily predict what their spineless position will be.

I for one think he should not be prosecuted for my own selfish reasons; stupid people that would contribute to something like that deserve to be screwed over. But, if he used the funds for something other than his defense then it would seem he is SOL per the law, regardless of how bad he hates LA.

I find it quite amusing that even when you're making quite a good point, I still find it hard to agree with you, because you just can't seem to help being such a jerk about it.

"Clinic cult". Really? It's as though you don't want people to read what you're saying, and only want them to react angrily.

Obviously if he used the money for something clearly non-defence related, then fraud is on the cards.

Sure, many clinic posters would have a hugely different opinion of Floyd if he'd gotten a job post-ban. You are acting as though what he did when he found out that he couldn't was what most guys do, which it wasn't. He gets respect because unlike other returning dopers who never got a job, he didn't just protect the system anyway, he told what he knew. You know that.

ChrisE said:

I for one, am looking forward to the day that Armstrong is revealed to be Floyd Landis's Father.
If my research into stories of Good vs Evil is accurate (which to be fair is limited to Star Wars), this will probably happen next Tuesday, or just after RR hears about it in a Tweet.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Caruut said:
I find it quite amusing that even when you're making quite a good point, I still find it hard to agree with you, because you just can't seem to help being such a jerk about it.

"Clinic cult". Really? It's as though you don't want people to read what you're saying, and only want them to react angrily.

Obviously if he used the money for something clearly non-defence related, then fraud is on the cards.

Sure, many clinic posters would have a hugely different opinion of Floyd if he'd gotten a job post-ban. You are acting as though what he did when he found out that he couldn't was what most guys do, which it wasn't. He gets respect because unlike other returning dopers who never got a job, he didn't just protect the system anyway, he told what he knew. You know that.

"clinic cult " comments are no different than the "paid intern" claims that fly about when someone disagrees with the, well, clinic cult. as for floyd, some fail to see the nobility in obviously self-serving confessions. i personally think he seems like a pretty funny, likeable guy, but his confession was about two things, revenge and whistleblower money.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
andy1234 said:
I for one, am looking forward to the day that Armstrong is revealed to be Floyd Landis's Father.
If my research into stories of Good vs Evil is accurate (which to be fair is limited to Star Wars), this will probably happen next Tuesday, or just after RR hears about it in a Tweet.

hilarious :D:D

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Is this the story your were referring to Race?

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/apr/25/san-diego-grand-jury-investigating-cyclist-landis-/

Thanks for the heads up. Must have heard about it on Twitter

:D

Thanks for that article Race. Interesting update

a federal grand jury in San Diego is investigating Landis for possible wire and mail fraud involving the defense fund.

Landis received a “target letter” earlier this month

Assistant U.S. Attorney Phil Halpern, head of the fraud division in San Diego, is pursuing the case against Landis. Halpern also has a racing license with USA Cycling, the sport’s national governing body.

Floyd and I know that there are very experienced lawyers in the San Diego U.S. Attorney’s Office, and we are confident they would do the right thing once they had a complete understanding of all the facts behind anything they might be investigating.”

The fund was not set up as a nonprofit organization,

$700,000, Landis and others have said, came from wealthy donors, several of whom were investors in Tailwind Sports. Landis previously said that Thomas Weisel, Tailwind’s founder and chairman, contributed $50,000 and at least three other Tailwind investors wrote large checks.

“It is absolutely crucial that we encourage athletes to speak out, and to actively participate in the policing of their sport,” Ashenden said in an email. “Shooting the messenger is not just counter productive in that regard, but short-sighted and deluded.”

Of course Wonderboy had nothing to do with this, but has been pushing the fraud mantra for over a year.

“This is somebody that took, some would say, close to $1 million from innocent people for his defense under a different premise.

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
Elagabalus said:
I think my mileage is about the same as yours. And it was all going so well ... (except, of course, when Cal Joe started prattling on about tweets being slighted)

Everyone, MarkVW is saying that he does not think the story about Floyd on the CN website is credible. End of.

RR, you decided to name this thread "Floyd to be charged with fraud" yet when we click on the link the title on CN is "Could Floyd Landis face fraud charges??". Leaving it open as to whether Floyd is actually being investigated or whether the story is based solely on rumor. You seem to feel this story is true. Why do you feel that way? Can you share with us any more info (insider or not) or perhaps some links?

I think everyone here agrees that the details surrounding this story are "odd", leading to speculation as to why that might be the case. However, is the "oddness" indicative of dark forces lying beneath or is it that CN simply got it wrong?

Carry on.

Prattling? Prattlling you say?. Well, in retrospect it certainly was. Mea Culpa.

ChrisE said:

Stupid people deserve to be screwed over? Really? So where does that place you? :rolleyes: And don't call members of the paid up Tailwind champions club stupid! Never heard so much toddle in my life. People deserve to be screwed over? Such prejudice. Next you be telling me certain races will need to sit at the back of the bus!

It was called the Floyd Fairness Fund for a reason. It was doing what it said on the tin. Providing funds for the defense against the doping charge. It wasn't a referendum on did he dope or not during his career.

Anti-doping trials are tough. Armstrong stated as much in 2008. It was to fund the defense of his case first with USADA then CAS. That it did.

Race Radio said:
Thanks for that article Race. Interesting update

Of course Wonderboy had nothing to do with this, but has been pushing the fraud mantra for over a year.

Thanks Race.

Good to know there's no conflict of interest with this (alleged) investigation! :eek:

"Assistant U.S. Attorney Phil Halpern, head of the fraud division in San Diego, is pursuing the case against Landis. Halpern also has a racing license with USA Cycling, the sport’s national governing body. "

It certainly does look like there is an investigation! And a target letter! I'll bet that the feds have a fairly good catalog of all the statements (many of them lies) that Floyd made to induce people to give him money. And then they have Floyd's own statements about his remorse for taking money from people who trusted him. If Floyd is indicted, he's going to be facing a really uphill fight.

Floyd needed a charity fund to defend against WADA. Isn't it reasonable to think that poor Floyd is going to need another charity fund to help him fight against the United States of America if he wants to defend himself and go to trial (rather than plead guilty). Unfortunately for Floyd, I don't think many of the donors from FFF #1 would be willing to donate to FFF #2. Maybe it's time for Floyd to release a new book: "Positively True." Unfortunately, if Floyd writes a true book it would be so self-incriminating it would defeat the whole purpose ...

I always figured Floyd was working with the feds. I read reports that he wore a wire for them in the Ball investigation, for example. I can't believe that the feds would have used Floyd unless Floyd came completely clean about everything. If Floyd was always truthful and honest with the feds, it is difficult to imagine that the feds would turn on him, unless the feds told Floyd straight-up from the beginning that they were not going to give him a walk on the FFF stuff. Or (as I thought on my ride to work), maybe Floyd just went full-*** and never cut any deal with the feds at all.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Wouldn't it be funny if Wonderboy called up some of his friends and encouraged them to send money to Floyd? That would be hilarious! What if he offered to give them some cash that they could donate? Wow that would be interesting!

But of course it would never happen as we all know that our hero is far to ethical to participate in such a fraud.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Wouldn't it be funny if Wonderboy called up some of his friends and encouraged them to send money to Floyd? That would be hilarious! What if he offered to give them some cash that they could donate? Wow that would be interesting!

But of course it would never happen as we all know that our hero is far to ethical to participate in such a fraud.

Funny or helpful? And if Lance gave money to others no problem. As long as those others account for the money tax wise.

Although I think one of the bigger donators was that "Tiger" guy. And he was a Lance hater. Be funny if he is involved haha. Funny.

Hope all is well with Floyd and no charges will be filed against him.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
It's really as simple as this:

two_sides_of_the_same_coin_tshirt-p235971154198443655z89ss_400.jpg

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Have any of the larger donators said anything? If Floyd is prosecuted surely they would take civil action?

Or maybe they would give to a new FFF for the Federal case? I wonder if Wonderboy will encourage them to donate again this time?

I am sure Lance has been very helpful in this investigation. He has always been about helping to catch the real dopers. Wants to make sure the sport remains credible..... blah, blah

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Have any of the larger donators said anything? If Floyd is prosecuted surely they would take civil action?

Why would they "surely" take civil action?

Doubt if they would. For the same reasons a small donator would probably not take action. Even if donators, large or small, were a-holes and sued Floyd, it would cost more to prosecute than they would end up collecting.

Leave Floyd alone. Seriously.

Polish said:
Why would they "surely" take civil action?

Doubt if they would. For the same reasons a small donator would probably not take action. Even if donators, large or small, were a-holes and sued Floyd, it would cost more to prosecute than they would end up collecting.

Leave Floyd alone. Seriously.

If Floyd is indicted and convicted of a fraud charge, restitution will be ordered and maybe Floyd's victims will get some relief.

Besides, Floyd has already said he will pay people back when he gets some money. Obviously Floyd doesn't have any spare money now and that is obviously why he is not paying anybody back at this time.

But if Floyd is indicted, how will he get the money to pay for a defense and trial?

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
You too can own just a part of a shack up in the bone-dry metropolis of beautiful downtown Idyllwild CA. Just donate $1MM to the FFF and later claim fraud.

Floyd will even throw in a bag of rock-salt to de-ice the front steps during snow storms.