• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Floyd to be charged with fraud

Page 47 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
BotanyBay said:
Lemond has no idea what person made the phone call, and neither do you. Just because Floyd tried to "manage" that perception doesn't mean he has actually achieved it. Everyone knows that Will volunteered to be the "Fall guy" on that one. Floyd wasn't back at the bar. He was part of it.

And just because they never chose to prosecute Floyd for coercion back THEN, does not mean that (once they understand the greater context of who Floyd really is) they won't choose to do so now.

It was coercion because it was intended to intimidate Lemond into not providing any more damaging testimony against Floyd. Please do not enter into a hair-splitting contest on this, as your posting conduct is being watched closely.

hahahhhhha - genius!!!

BotanyBay said:
They might have an admission from him that the CAS/USADA situation was actually true, or perhaps (via their own investigation) they later were able to prove it in an entirely different manner. The US Govt has deep pockets and when they want, they can find out a LOT of stuff. From what I understand, USADA was almost bankrupted in pressing the Floyd case. They might not have been able to dig-up the same stuff (regardless of the eventual outcome)

Otherwise, yeah, they'd have to re-try the same issue.

Fraud depends on what Floyd said to get the money. Hypothetically, if Floyd said "Give me money because I rode the Tour totally clean and I need the money to defend myself from charges that are not scientifically valid," and if people gave money to Floyd because they believed Floyd was a clean rider, then Floyd would be vulnerable to fraud charges.

It would be like me saying "Give me money to invest for you because I am trustworthy and I have never been convicted of a crime." If I lied, and really had been convicted of a crime, and if people gave me money to invest in reliance upon that, then I would be vulnerable to fraud even if I invested the money just like I promised.

The law doesn't let you solicit money under false pretenses/pretences.

Floyd's exposure is fairly broad, given that he told one whopper of a lie to induce his fans to give him money.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
MarkvW said:
Fraud depends on what Floyd said to get the money. Hypothetically, if Floyd said "Give me money because I rode the Tour totally clean and I need the money to defend myself from charges that are not scientifically valid," and if people gave money to Floyd because they believed Floyd was a clean rider, then Floyd would be vulnerable to fraud charges.

It would be like me saying "Give me money to invest for you because I am trustworthy and I have never been convicted of a crime." If I lied, and really had been convicted of a crime, and if people gave me money to invest in reliance upon that, then I would be vulnerable to fraud even if I invested the money just like I promised.

The law doesn't let you solicit money under false pretenses/pretences.

Floyd's exposure is fairly broad, given that he told one whopper of a lie to induce his fans to give him money.

Arnie Baker too. Anyone know if he received a target letter?

Digger said:
Botany and yourself are actually getting funny at this stage.

It won't be funny if Floyd gets indicted and pleads, it will be sad.

I got excited when Floyd rode to Morzine! I really did. Definitely more than pr0n! This fraud stuff, on the other hand, is more like watching a train wreck happen in slow motion. It's not really exciting, but it is compelling. A target letter is a heavy-duty thing. And there's still drama, because Floyd might still walk.

I hope Floyd has gotten the message, gotten a real job, and started making payments to his victims! That would go over mind-bendingly well with the federal judge! It would trigger a mercy-gasm for sure! (Sorry, you started it with the pr0n reference ;)). But Floyd is probably not that sincere. Too bad...

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
MarkvW said:
Sure. But gosh, wouldn't he be the most perfect cooperating witness? That guy might have known EVERYTHING! It would be a most poignant irony if Floyd were himself burned by a snitch.

Ouch!

Bernie will do anything to keep that medical license from being taken away from him. Not in a practicing medicine sense (he's semi-retired), but to avoid the indignity of having them take it away for reasons of moral turpitude.

MarkvW said:
It won't be funny if Floyd gets indicted and pleads, it will be sad.

I got excited when Floyd rode to Morzine! I really did. Definitely more than pr0n! This fraud stuff, on the other hand, is more like watching a train wreck happen in slow motion. It's not really exciting, but it is compelling. A target letter is a heavy-duty thing. And there's still drama, because Floyd might still walk.

I hope Floyd has gotten the message, gotten a real job, and started making payments to his victims! That would go over mind-bendingly well with the federal judge! It would trigger a mercy-gasm for sure! (Sorry, you started it with the pr0n reference ;)). But Floyd is probably not that sincere. Too bad...

Not one of your better efforts!!!

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Digger, theHog and Dr. Maserati:

I see you've backed-off slightly today. Your coordinated tag-teaming doesn't seem as obvious. Could it be that something I've said / notcied might ring just a little bit true, and Floyd's inner circle really needs you to derail that?

514cLOafDyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Dr_Lexus

BANNED
May 1, 2012
Visit site
BotanyBay said:

I see you've backed-off slightly today. Your coordinated tag-teaming doesn't seem as obvious. Could it be that something I've said / notcied might ring just a little bit true, and Floyd's inner circle really needs you to derail that?

514cLOafDyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Yes. All of the above. Where can we send your medal?

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
BotanyBay said:

I see you've backed-off slightly today.
Troll much?
I didn't post all day - which has nothing to do with you.

BotanyBay said:
Your coordinated tag-teaming doesn't seem as obvious.
Not very subtle, are you - yet not big enough to ask the question.
There is nothing (nor has there been) co-ordinated between me and anyone else here! Nor has there been on any subject
Sorry that you are paranoid just because some here do not agree with you.

BotanyBay said:
Could it be that something I've said / notcied might ring just a little bit true, and Floyd's inner circle really needs you to derail that?
To answer your question - no.

So, what about you. Have you been pming people? Or co- ordinating your efforts? With who?
Do you have any sock puppets?

[/QUOTE]

Dr. Maserati said:
Also - should Lance pay me back for buying his books?

Perhaps Sally Jenkins should have conducted better "fact" checking on her subject?

Maybe if Armstrong was indicted he'd throw her under a bus?

I thought Every Second Counts was an excellent read. Probably not as good as Lance: The Making of the World's Greatest Champion. That was a good book.

Probably should get around to reading Might as well Win at some point.

thehog said:
Perhaps Sally Jenkins should have conducted better "fact" checking on her subject?

I thought Every Second Counts was an excellent read. Probably not as good as Lance: The Making of the World's Greatest Champion. That was a good book.

We Might as Well Win is like my Bible. Amazing read. Inspirational.

Digger said:
We Might as Well Win is like my Bible. Amazing read. Inspirational.

I did read the blurb one day in a bookshop and thought...

If there's times in my life when I lose my "winning sprint" and I need to get back the winners edge in life. I would turn to his book. Bruyneel's writings are inspirational.

He's my Tony Robbins.

I will keep a copy next to my bed.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:

Topic? Floyd? Charged? Fraud?

Nope not even close. Troll.

TRENDING THREADS