• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 1180 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 7, 2017
Visit site
Robert5091 said:
Ugh? Seems odd ... or the Froome plan of a ban after Tdf is on track -

http://www.velonews.com/2018/05/gir...ed-us-froome-wouldnt-stripped-giro-win_464992
Chris Froome will not be stripped of victory should he triumph at the Giro d’Italia this month, race organizers insisted on Thursday.
That raised the possibility that he could win the Giro but then be stripped of victory if he is subsequently banned.

Giro director Mauro Vegni insisted he had assurances from UCI president David Lappartient that such an eventuality wouldn’t happen.

“As for what could happen during the Giro, or the possibility that a decision is made on Froome’s case during the Giro, I also spoke with president Lappartient and he said it was not possible before the Giro and unlikely also before the Tour de France. And anyway, he clearly said if Froome were to win the Giro then the Giro would remain assigned to him.”

Irrespective of what Lappartient may have said to Vegni that Froome will keep his Giro result is likely to be correct

Vegni's suggestion that his AAF case may not be resolved before the TdF is of greater concern (if true)

Re:

fmk_RoI said:
UCI basically saying Vegni is full of crap
The UCI wishes to clarify that the UCI President is not in a position to decide when a potential suspension for any anti-doping rule violation should start and whether results obtained before the starting point of a suspension should be annulled or maintained.
There's no denial that Lappartient said anything to Vegni though. It's correcting what some people may have inferred from Vegni's comments. They must have at least discussed it and I'd be amazed if they haven't sought legal opinion on this situation

Re:

fmk_RoI said:
UCI basically saying Vegni is full of crap
The UCI wishes to clarify that the UCI President is not in a position to decide when a potential suspension for any anti-doping rule violation should start and whether results obtained before the starting point of a suspension should be annulled or maintained.

Given that it's the UCI, I wonder if it's instead a case of UCI posturing after the dumbass on the other end of the discussion blabbed publicly about a private assurance he was supposed to keep quiet.

Mar 7, 2017
Visit site
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/may/03/team-sky-chris-froome-giro-d-italia-accused-14m-mauro-vegni

'Team Sky have been accused of deceiving the organisers of the Giro d’Italia into handing over a reported €1.4m in appearance fees by not disclosing that their star rider Chris Froome had already failed a drug test. According to the Giro race director, Mauro Vegni, Dave Brailsford’s team entered into negotiations over Froome’s appearance in the Giro knowing the rider had returned an adverse finding from a urine test on his way to winning the Vuelta a España in September last year. Asked if he felt deceived by Brailsford, who was knighted for services to cycling in 2013, Vegni replied: “Definitely, yes. The negotiations with Team Sky took place before the Giro presentation so I would have expected within a correct relationship to be informed. I didn’t really like this.” '

Re:

Wiggo's Package said:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/may/03/team-sky-chris-froome-giro-d-italia-accused-14m-mauro-vegni

'Team Sky have been accused of deceiving the organisers of the Giro d’Italia into handing over a reported €1.4m in appearance fees by not disclosing that their star rider Chris Froome had already failed a drug test. According to the Giro race director, Mauro Vegni, Dave Brailsford’s team entered into negotiations over Froome’s appearance in the Giro knowing the rider had returned an adverse finding from a urine test on his way to winning the Vuelta a España in September last year. Asked if he felt deceived by Brailsford, who was knighted for services to cycling in 2013, Vegni replied: “Definitely, yes. The negotiations with Team Sky took place before the Giro presentation so I would have expected within a correct relationship to be informed. I didn’t really like this.” '

Interesting. People keep saying the process is taking too long, and suggesting the UCI are the issue. Seems like if Froome wanted this could have been wrapped up long ago, no?

Suppose Froome performs poorly in the Giro, failing even to podium. What if he crashed out, and he couldn’t race the Tour, either? Do you suppose he might ask the judge to make any ban retroactive rather than proactive? Careful what you wish for…

In related news, the UCI has announced that Contador’s win in the 2011 Giro has been restored, by retroactively proactively banning him from that date as of this date. This retroactive proactive ban has also proactively retroactively stripped him of the 2012 Vuelta as of this date for that date.

It's actually amazing to hear the race director of a GT to say that he's been assured by a guy who's in no position to decide what kind of ban Froome will receive that Froome's Giro result will stand.

Either he's full of sh*t or he just told us the whole circus is sham.

I mean, we know it's a sham but he's now openly says so.

Re:

Merckx index said:
Suppose Froome performs poorly in the Giro, failing even to podium. What if he crashed out, and he couldn’t race the Tour, either? Do you suppose he might ask the judge to make any ban retroactive rather than proactive? Careful what you wish for…

In related news, the UCI has announced that Contador’s win in the 2011 Giro has been restored, by retroactively proactively banning him from that date as of this date. This retroactive proactive ban has also proactively retroactively stripped him of the 2012 Vuelta as of this date for that date.

Well done sir :lol:

Re:

Merckx index said:
He can always ask. But if Morgan pulled that off, he'd be the greatest lawyer since Johnny Cochran

Mar 7, 2017
Visit site
I'll be very interested to see what Froome says about his performance in the ITT, i.e., if he was definitely limited from effects of the crash. I think he must have been. He's lucky there aren't any testing climbing stages any time soon, maybe he can heal while taking it easy in the flat stages. But if he's still hurting, a crosswind split in the peloton could end his contention really fast. At that point, he might want a decision in his case announced as soon as possible.

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

glassmoon said:
benzwire said:
That could have easily been a collarbone fracture and out completely. He's lucky that wasn't worse. That had to hurt. Certainly not the best way to start out the Giro.
He'll snatch the cash and will pull out of the race during the 1st week ;)

That was my guess, that he'd stack it in the first week and pull out, though this cash, hmm, if a couple of older posts are true, Sky who seemed to forget Froome had a AAF against him when they signed off on the contract.. Surely there must be something about full disclosure in the contract, could that be considered a breach of contract by Sky..?

TRENDING THREADS