• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 180 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
sniper said:
indeed, which is why it'd be nice to hear lance's view on froome...

as for rasmussen, his rise to the top was actually quite gradual, wasn't it?
goes to show: while an abrupt improvement like froome's is an obvious doping indicator, a more gradual improvement does not indicate cleanliness.

Both Rasmussen and Riis had a more steady rise to the top with top 10 grand tour performances.. And both stated that they doped for a decade and where very good at it..

Hmm it makes me wonder that if Froome really is clean, he must have been touched by an angel a few years back..

When hardcore training AND doping took 5-8 years for Riis/rasmussen to make top 3 performances, then why only two for Froome?

If Froome is doping he must be responding like Armstrong to it -no other exlpanation..

If he is clean i will be proud to have lived the same time as the mabybe gratest athlete EVER!! I have my doubts.....

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Ramussen wants to remain in the sport with his team Cristina Watches.

He is also correct to point to the peloton being cleanER than his era when it was a balls out epo era.

You are right in some way..

But still, the sport is dominated by people all cycling in the great doping era..
And they stick together..

He wont make many allies by talking to much, and therefore i actually believe he is making entry back more difficult by talking..

Some people have enourmous influence and will get back at him by putting pressure on the people deciding his future place in the sport..

(just guessing)

EnacheV

BANNED
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Probably they are on to something to which Froome responds the best , compared to other sky riders.

Whatever that thing falls in the doping area or will just mark another era in sport, we will see in the next years.

That's why they keep so secret, they have an advantage and they want to keep it for a few more years, they (Sky) also think its not doping material.

They cant just go out and say : here is what we do and use, its not PED's but we didn't wanted to tell/show you yet so we have a few more easy wins :D

Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
The 10th of June was a sad day for cycling.

What next? 2 more minutes on Ventoux and Alpe d'Huez? He could end up being more than 10 minutes ahead of whoever finishes 2nd by Paris. Merckx like.

mrhender said:
If Froome is doping he must be responding like Armstrong to it -no other expanation..

A combination of two things. The peloton is cleaner, the doping is much more limited, and Froome is a great responder.

I think what DiLuca and Santambrogio show is that doping can make a huge difference now that the rest of the peloton is cleanish. Ironicly, the fight against doping has made doping even more efficacious, provided a rider can avoid being caught.

This is cycling at three speeds: Clean, limited doping, and Froome.

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
BroDeal said:
A combination of two things. The peloton is cleaner, or at least the doping is much more limited, and Froome is a great responder.

I think what DiLuca and Santambrogio show is that doping can make a huge difference now that the rest of the peloton is cleanish. Ironicly, the fight against doping has made doping even more efficacious, provided a rider can avoid being caught.

I think you hit spot on..
The most scary thing about Froome is that he appears to be on top all year!
All the heavy dopers mostly topped in a grand tour and only then..

But Froome is killing everybody all year long.. That's just unbelievable..

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
sniper said:
The lack of consternation in the peloton wrt Froome suggests the middle category is rather densely populated.

Here's a question.

Assuming Froome is 'on something', is it possibly a Moser situation - i.e. not currently illegal, but soon will be?

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
BroDeal said:
A combination of two things. The peloton is cleaner, the doping is much more limited, and Froome is a great responder.

Look at the following:
TDF9_Valverde_Climb2.png

= Valverdes srm of the last climb of sundays stage

Look at the four power peaks. Could they coincide with the four accelerations by Quintana?

Valverde is listed as 61 kilo. Do some math. Froome's weight is still the mystery but lets say he is at 68 kilo. Do some math.

Well, we saw how Froome responded to them with - what looked like - ease.

We saw Valverde talk to Quintana after his last acceleration. Then Quintana ceased with the attacks.

So, according to Brentford it is impossible to attack and attack and attack and attack. How about respond, respond, respond and respond?

Valverde should publish his file of Ax3, that would be a blast.

sniper said:
The lack of consternation in the peloton wrt Froome suggests the middle category is rather densely populated.

A lot of these guys have an inopportune situation. Even if most of the riders are clean now, most have a history of past doping. It would be hard for them to publicly denounce Froome for doing what they themselves were doing a few of years ago.

No_Balls said:
It would be nice to hear anything from anyone about Froome and not just Millar insisting on Froomes cleanliness. Sometimes silence is very talkative.

This is all so surrealistic. Everyone knows and yet its happening.

Many are talking.

Valverde calls him "different". That says it all.

Different in Spanish means a lot.

Valverde will know. That's for sure.

Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Look at the following:

Look at the four power peaks. Could they coincide with the four accelerations by Quintana?

Valverde is listed as 61 kilo. Do some math. Froome's weight is still the mystery but lets say he is at 68 kilo. Do some math.

We saw Valverde talk to Quintana after his last acceleration. Then Quintana ceased with the attacks.

So, according to Brentford it is impossible to attack and attack and attack and attack. How about respond, respond, respond and respond?

Valverde publishing SRM files! My god cycling has changed.

Valverde had cramps on Sunday and that's why he told Quintana to stop attacking.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
martinvickers said:
Here's a question.

Assuming Froome is 'on something', is it possibly a Moser situation - i.e. not currently illegal, but soon will be?

good point.
yeah, most definitely.
doctors will always be ahead of anti-doping.
Hence, with the pro-tour averaging 3 doctors per team, there is really no reason to trust cycling just yet.

I think many share the opinion that any future independent cycling anti-doping body should focus on reducing, centralizing, and certifying the medical staff of pro-tour teams (to the extent that this is possible).

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
I don't think that's likely. The WADA code covers substances and methods which don't exist yet. You no longer need to list every single product for it to be banned.

good point.
but then you have borderline cases like djokovic's hyperbaric chamber which is allowed by WADA alhtough they admit it's not in the spirit of fair play to use it.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
A lot of these guys have an inopportune situation. Even if most of the riders are clean now, most have a history of past doping. It would be hard for them to publicly denounce Froome for doing what they themselves were doing a few of years ago.

true for some perhaps.
but my 2 cents is that microdoping is still very widespread, with doctors in place to help athletes fly below the radar.
In fact, this was posited by the president of the dutch anti-doping authority on dutch tele yesterday, when he explained why they have such a low catching rate (1.5 %).
In fact he suggested team-organized microdoping supervized by teamdocs is quite rampant at present.
bandwidth doping.
so less quantities of doping for sure. but less dopers?

Is it possible we are seeing the results of genetic doping experiment. Scary to think about it but we know elite athletes will do anything to win.
Iirc correctly, a few years ago a poll was taken from olympic athletes, would they cheat to win a gold medal even if it meant they would have be dead in five years. I believe the majority said they would.

EnacheV

BANNED
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Froomoe first fabricated mutant. Magneto is coming .... that would be scary **** indeed.

It's true the gene manipulation has gone on alarming highs past years.

Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Look at the following:

Kwiatkowski told Brian Holm that Valverde was shouting to Quintana to slow down, so yes, he was most certainly on the limit.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
veganrob said:
... we know elite athletes will do anything to win.
Iirc correctly, a few years ago a poll was taken from olympic athletes, would they cheat to win a gold medal even if it meant they would have be dead in five years. I believe the majority said they would.
in all the talk about clean cycling, this cannot be stressed enough.
a similar poll was done ca. 1 year ago in germany among professional athletes, with very similar results.

anybody suggesting that a mentality change (or some increased sense for fair play) in the peloton is the cause for slower speeds should be locked up in a cell.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
sniper said:
good point.
but then you have borderline cases like djokovic's hyperbaric chamber which is allowed by WADA alhtough they admit it's not in the spirit of fair play to use it.

See, that's my thinking (i've expressed my views on Froome elsewhere)

IF I was pushed I would say it's a 'technique' rather than a 'substance'; say sleeping while hooked up to CPAP machines pumping super oxygenated air, or thinned oxygen, or whatever (I'm not suggesting that's what they do, simply the 'idea' of some wacky bit of o2 manipulation not involving a substance)

(CPAP machines are used by people with sleep apnea to raise soft palate and ensure steady breathing during sleep, to help normal oxygenation of blood. Great snoring aid too.

i know, BTW, because i use one. it pumps you full of air, and while uncomfortable for the first week, actually is very pleasant to use after that - a real feeling of 'clear' breathing, and that's just pumping standard air. I'm sure it could be hooked up to either reduce or increase 02.

Only drawback is tendencey to catch colds and coughs. It was Froome's persistant coughing during inteviews put it in my head.

now back to scheduled programming)

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
thehog said:
Valverde publishing SRM files! My god cycling has changed.

Valverde had cramps on Sunday and that's why he told Quintana to stop attacking.

Yea publishing SRM files not to show how clean he is, but to show how over the top Froome is. Good move by Valverde.

How is he doing it ?

How's the Timeline looking on all of this ??

Froome is about to be dropped in 2011 by Sky. He's been there since 2010. Sky have a Team doping program.. so was Froome not on it ?

How did he do so well in the Vuelta ? did he get on his own program ?

Is he doing his own doping ? or is he on Sky's program ?

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:
How's the Timeline looking on all of this ??

Froome is about to be dropped in 2011 by Sky. He's been there since 2010. Sky have a Team doping program.. so was Froome not on it ?

How did he do so well in the Vuelta ? did he get on his own program ?

Is he doing his own doping ? or is he on Sky's program ?

Sky was nothing special really in 2010 and a big part of 2011. Then the Vuelta began and Froome found his inner super talent lol... Then from the beginning of 2012 Sky started owning about every stage race they start it.

Seems pretty clear what happened.

TRENDING THREADS