• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 318 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
There's more to sports than just doping.
A lot of people (maybe most here) would agree that it's not possible to win the TdF without some serious doping, or most races.
That doesn't mean that if you don't perform you are not doping. They are partially human after all :)

Benotti69 said:
Those who have a winning mentality needed to win GTs dont have 'not caring' in their suitcases of courage in a competitive event.

I would think Froome was extremely embarrassed watching the peloton full of guys who finished hours down on him in July, but no dout comforted himself by saying he will blow them away in Tuscany.

Well established that form can be turned on and off like a light switch.

Froome

Having watched the first stage of the race in UTAH, have to say that I have never seen a tour winner get shot out the back so easy in any race !!!!

Looked like an average club rider in a 3rd cat race !!!!!

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
I hear it a lot as well.

I think it’s a way of explaining why someone can go from sideways to full ***.

You just say “oh, he has a big engine”

There's also the interesting epiphenomenon that big engines often cluster in one particular team. Sometimes over periods of several consecutive years.

If I had been training for 8 months straight I'd want a break too. Especially when you want to win the Worlds, the lads probably visited the bank before they crossed the Atlantic. Good rest and start from a low base with a month of intense training. Might work, might not.

Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
JimmyFingers said:
So if Froome wins everything he races in this is an indicator of doping, but if he doesn't that is too?

Gotcha. Think I'm getting the hang of this lark now.

Not even Merckx won every race he entered.

That Froome is riding poorly now doesn't mean squat, so both his defenders and his accusers may as well ignore it instead of rushing to cry 'dopers fatigue!' or 'see, he's not so good now, that proves he's clean!'. He still alien'd the entire field during the Tour. He can be slower than a snail crossed with a turtle for the rest of time and that still won't change the almost certainly correct perception that between the 2011 Vuelta and the 2013 Tour he has been doped to ridiculous levels.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Completely agree, yet we have people crowing because he gets psat out the back on a climb. The old adage is racing to train, conveniently ignored in favour of a good laugh at the rider.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
JimmyFingers said:
Completely agree, yet we have people crowing because he gets psat out the back on a climb. The old adage is racing to train, conveniently ignored in favour of a good laugh at the rider.
And we were told last year SKY train to race, the revolutionairy concept...

SKY are there just for the red blood cells, but seeing the Tour de France winner 18 minutes down in a stage does look strange. Or might we read in a couple of days he will be needing the badzillah pills again? Remember, januari to august is seven months.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
And we were told last year SKY train to race, the revolutionairy concept...

SKY are there just for the red blood cells, but seeing the Tour de France winner 18 minutes down in a stage does look strange. Or might we read in a couple of days he will be needing the badzillah pills again? Remember, januari to august is seven months.

Well we'll see. We know the sponsors put pressure on riders to participate in certain events, and we know in lesser races doms get the chance to go for the overall, as thank yous for the work done and in search of world tour points.

But fine, Froome's performance is obviously him going back to being a donkey, and as such more evidence of his nefarious means to win. Then presumably he'll be back on the bags in time for the Worlds.

Alphabet said:

That Froome is riding poorly now doesn't mean squat, so both his defenders and his accusers may as well ignore it instead of rushing to cry 'dopers fatigue!' or 'see, he's not so good now, that proves he's clean!'. He still alien'd the entire field during the Tour. He can be slower than a snail crossed with a turtle for the rest of time and that still won't change the almost certainly correct perception that between the 2011 Vuelta and the 2013 Tour he has been doped to ridiculous levels.

-------------
Riding poorly is one thing, but really, any given tour-winner would look suspicious if he suddenly went from a strong tour-victory, to getting his *** kicked by 100+ riders in a race with a far weaker field.

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Can't you see that marginal gain by froome taking it easy ? By riding slower in Colorado during the stages he can stay longer on higher altitudes.

I'm not sure if his girlfriend would be happy with a "bank visit" :)

Alphabet said:

Correct answer. Being a donkey doesn't indicate doping.

Going from donkey to racehorse overnight late in the career and immediately dominating the biggest stage races is almost as bad as being caught with a needle in the arm.

And then the parasite cover story: Hilarious.