• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 119 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
armchairclimber said:
It gets trickier when there are products which do much the same thing as AICAR that aren't on the WADA banned list. If it's not banned, it's not doping?

del1962 said:
Which products are you alluding towards?

One example - Telmisartan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telmisartan; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22130396)

There are other examples.

When one looks at the WADA list, you can see that they are trying to also include practices that show an intention to dope ... but that can be much harder to prove.

The Hitch said:
Es had a piece on froome yesterday's. Apparently since his time as a neopro froome has improved "steadily",:rolleyes: but his goal was always to win the tour de France.

Yep just like Wiggins who's goal was always to win the tour de France even back when he said he didn't know if he would even ride it again.

It's called re-writing reality. It's pretty sad actually.

I'm not even sure that writing propaganda like pieces end up damaging reporters' reputations.

Edit: I'm not sure about Stephen Farrand's writing background ... but not too terribly impressed.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
armstrong showed the peleton how to do it. and the silly anglophone media bought it hook like sinker

I say this as kindly as possible.

Walk into any university in any anglo country and the one group of people you can bank on being able to trust as far as you can throw them are the comm students. They are also known as Communication Students. Journalists, Sports Journos, Advertising...TM's are cool but (Theatre Media).

My rule at uni was 70% are never to be trusted, the other 30% are cool. The 30 percent is mostly TM's and double degree students who had a solid study to fall back on the. The 70 percent group are in my experience the biggest group of fake, fraudulent, posers, wannabe's and hypocrites running around. They'd do anything to get ahead and sell anything if it brought attention to themselves.

Not to be trusted. So the media...yeah they're dumb and corrupt. A few bright sparks, but not many. I had to sit through a uni bar trivia with sports journos who didn't know what the Webb Ellis trophy is. They're not bright people. Not bright at all.

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Ripper said:
One example - Telmisartan

Please not again that same old BS. The study is just a marketing gag of the producer who would like to sell more Telmisartan and influence doctors to prescribe Telmisartan instead of other Sartans.

What also speaks against it is the fact that the hypotensive effect lasts a good day. So yes you could get a benefit of its ppar gamma/delta agonism but for the price of beeing dizzy the whole day. And i doubt that the metabolic benefit like with the GW 1516/Aicar seen in mice could be achieved with a normal dose of 40 to 160 mg. Maybe they pop Telmisartan on the restday for fun..

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
JimmyFingers said:
The devil? Doping is a pretty sordid affair, but there are far more evil things afoot in this world

It's an expression - "devil" in context. Doesn't necessarily mean 'evil'. In the case of doping is for a single reason, not for the nobility of the sport or the overall good of the sport. But for an investment to make money or profit from that rider winning and a given team, which is highly organised, controlled and managed.

There may well be more evil things in the world, but keep in mind though, young men do die doping, so it has not been without human tragedy and sacrifice.

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
JimmyFingers said:
The devil? Doping is a pretty sordid affair, but there are far more evil things afoot in this world

It's an expression - "devil" in context. In the case of doping it is for a single reason, not for the nobility of the sport or the overall good of the sport, but for an investment to make money or profit from that rider winning and a given team. The doping being highly organised, managed and controlled.

There may well be more evil things in the world, but keep in mind though, young men do die doping, so it has not been without human tragedy and sacrifice.

Alpechraxler said:
Please not again that same old BS. The study is just a marketing gag of the producer who would like to sell more Telmisartan and influence doctors to prescribe Telmisartan instead of other Sartans.

What also speaks against it is the fact that the hypotensive effect lasts a good day. So yes you could get a benefit of its ppar gamma/delta agonism but for the price of beeing dizzy the whole day. And i doubt that the metabolic benefit like with the GW 1516/Aicar seen in mice could be achieved with a normal dose of 40 to 160 mg. Maybe they pop Telmisartan on the restday for fun..

Hey, go ahead and attack one link to one example. BTW, tell us more about how this study, which talks about the risk of the med being abused, is such a marketing gag? Not perhaps the best way to get family physicians to prescribe it more frequently. Do you work for the competition? ;)

There's more evidence than this of other drugs that one could dope with, and I think you are quite aware of that. I think (hope) you are also aware that you would not use that particular drug during a major race, but during a weight loss phase of training.

Or are you just trying to obfuscate matters?

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
look some chinese scientist come up with a paper that states Telmisartan has PPAR gamma/delta agonism and lowers HbA1c to ... % lowers lipids.... prevents weight gain etc etc. So the producer goes on and says that it might be benefical in patients with diabetes due to its PPAR gamma/delta agonism. There are a lot of people with hypertension and type 2 diabetes. So there is a lot to sell. And the chinese scientist are not expensive...

Thats the way the whole pharmaceutical industry works.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Es had a piece on froome yesterday's. Apparently since his time as a neopro froome has improved "steadily",:rolleyes: but his goal was always to win the tour de France.

Yep just like Wiggins who's goal was always to win the tour de France even back when he said he didn't know if he would even ride it again.

Fancy that a cyclist with a goal of winning the tour de France .Whatever next Footballers wanting to win the world cup

leon7766 said:
Fancy that a cyclist with a goal of winning the tour de France .Whatever next Footballers wanting to win the world cup

Froome spent most of his pro career paperboying up climbs and hoping he did not get left behind by the autobus. To think he had a goal to win the Tour as ludicrous as thinking Ivan Quaranta had a goal to win the Giro.

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
leon7766 said:

There is this thing called realism. Wiggins saying he wanted to win The Tour before his meteoric rise would have been like a footballer from Ireland saying they wanted to win the world cup.

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
I'm just going to get my Tour prediction out of the way here: I think the Dawg pulls a Chicken no later than Stage 18.

Of course I've probably jinxed it now...

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
webbie146 said:
Froome has been dieting :D

et0.jpg

TRENDING THREADS