• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 181 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
webbie146 said:
Sky was nothing special really in 2010 and a big part of 2011. Then the Vuelta began and Froome found his inner super talent lol... Then from the beginning of 2012 Sky started owning about every stage race they start it.

Seems pretty clear what happened.
Wiggins was very strong in 2011 and would likely have podiumed the Tour had he not crashed. The transformation was between 2010 and 2011. That's also when Leinders got on board.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
hrotha said:
Wiggins was very strong in 2011 and would likely have podiumed the Tour had he not crashed. The transformation was between 2010 and 2011. That's also when Leinders got on board.

And that lovely interview where Wiggins says for 2010 he's had too many people telling what to do and how, and now he's just going to do it his way.

Then in early 2011 Brailsford suggests they may relax their zero tolerance policy a tad.

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
hrotha said:

Well that's true indeed Wiggo went good already that year.

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
sprenten said:
I am not saying Froome is clean, he definitely sits at the top of the segment between definitely not doped and definitely doped. However, 3-6 minutes is not a huge lead when you still have 5 HC climbs left in the tour and you are bound to lose fitness, not improving it or keeping it if you are clean. I suspect a huge attack will come on Ventoux when they reach 1200-1400m and I am positive one will come as they reach the summit of Le Alpe the first time and on the Glandon at around 1600m. If Froome is doped then Ventoux ascent records (minus the time trials) are in peril.

VO2 requirements at sea level and altitude are two entirely different things. I don't try to confuse VO2 and power outputs, some guys are maxed on muscle power output but not on VO2 at sea level primarily because they don't do enough lowland training. They need a steep hill, crazy gear ratios, and altitude to bring them into balance because that happens to be a substansial portion of their training.
But Froome will not be required to go any faster than others who assail him. They have all shown themselves on AX3 to be found wanting and their performances were at or below baseline performances from 2008 to present. Froome on the other hand was 4.5% above that level and 1.9% above 2002-2007 levels. He is the anomaly in the Tour. Take him out and the race is wide open. He will not need to set record times if the others are merely at or below baseline GT levels. It does not matter ... uphill, downhill or flat, the other GC riders are losing huge chunks of time. Like I said Saturday, this thing is over ... and after just 38km of hard riding. Valverde has it right, know when you are beaten.

sniper said:
in all the talk about clean cycling, this cannot be stressed enough.
a similar poll was done ca. 1 year ago in germany among professional athletes, with very similar results.

anybody suggesting that a mentality change (or some increased sense for fair play) in the peloton is the cause for slower speeds should be locked up in a cell.

That is pretty sad indeed. :(

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Very pointed

Contador interview on Eurosport was very telling. If someone has a rough translation it would be very interesting. He called Froome out based on his performance.

LaFlorecita said:
Alberto Contador: "All the riders were very surprised that Chris Froome got so close to Tony Martin in the ITT"

Surprised...? I think Alberto fully expected it and fully understands it as well. I wonder what Mick had to say about it during dinner.

He really said this? When? If so it's not about "being surprised" but rather there's something wrong here.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Alberto Contador: "All the riders were very surprised that Chris Froome got so close to Tony Martin in the ITT"

Surprised...? I think Alberto fully expected it and fully understands it as well. I wonder what Mick had to say about it during dinner.
It looks kinda sloppy when you dont give your source.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:

Had he not crashed when he did, he would have crashed in any of the two downhill finishes where Contador attacked. IIRC it was raining in Col de Manse :D

No_Balls said:
One must love how the Skyborgs dismiss science in their holy crusade. They´ve probably has reached the point where they would dismiss Mr. Froome himself if he ended up saying he injected and published pictures and results of it.

Remember, you would need a team of scientists to interpret power data.

Coggan and Simmons - sorry guys, you need a team. All the work you've done to date is for naught! :rolleyes: :p

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
i was wondering if froome turned off the gas at the end of the itt to avoid a test, but the first place stage and overall tour leader and two random riders are tested each day.

if froome is doping he's also being tested each day, right? is pharma producing new drugs that are hidden from the testing currently in place? if that's the hypothesis are samples of these riders blood being stored securely for future retesting?

A few ifs ...

If Froome:
- Has had badzilla
- Is Autologous BD
- Is micro with other products that may or may not be banned

Then I would not be surprised if he was a super, super responder. If someone had a condition that ate up red blood cells and then he did a combo of treating said condition and 'helping' up his performance, then it stands to reason that the results would be magnified compared to a 'normal' doper.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
finchna said:
i was wondering if froome turned off the gas at the end of the itt to avoid a test, but the first place stage and overall tour leader and two random riders are tested each day.

You answered your own question. Puts to bed this conspiracy, hopefully...

finchna said:

if froome is doping he's also being tested each day, right? is pharma producing new drugs that are hidden from the testing currently in place? if that's the hypothesis are samples of these riders blood being stored securely for future retesting?

Probably Vroome turned down the gas because we was told or rather yelled at. Even so he almost took the stage. As for testing, LA was the most tested rider in history.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
The TT flattened out, which Martin handles much better, being almost 10 kgs heavier than Froome. This makes more sense than just guessing, as long as we don't have any power files.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Rollthedice said:
Probably Vroome turned down the gas because we was told or rather yelled at. Even so he almost took the stage. As for testing, LA was the most tested rider in history.

A few days ago after the Ax-3 stage, I read an interview with Knaven. Apparently the Sky DS's shouted at Froome to slow down, but he wouldn't respond. The explanation was that Froome was just trying to prove himself as a worthy leader. Froome does whatever he wants.

TRENDING THREADS