• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 423 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
red_flanders said:
Quibbles about Nibali's strength or form miss the point. Froome just (again) wasted the entire field with ease and coasted to the top. Nibali was simply the last man standing. It's ridiculous watching it.

If there was any reason to believe this guy was just naturally the best, dope aside it would be watchable. But this is a joke.

This. So many of the Froome comments, if you could put them in a time machine and post them on any cycling forum 3 or 4 years ago, would cause mass consternation, hilarity, disbelief, and ridicule.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
RichieTheBest said:
naturally the best? do you have any 100% indicators to measure who is naturally the best?

I have a 100% indicator that Froome isnt naturally the best.

Its funny, Froome isnt just beating all the best clean riders in history, he is beating most of the dopers as well!

Still, people believe. Blows my mind really. I assume a positive test is the only thing that can make skyfans think Froome is doping.

RichieTheBest

BANNED
Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
the sceptic said:

Its funny, Froome isnt just beating all the best clean riders in history, he is beating most of the dopers as well!

Still, people believe. Blows my mind really. I assume a positive test is the only thing that can make skyfans think Froome is doping.

who should be on the top of GT cycling lawfully from your viewpoint? the problem is no matter who comes, fans will start stating 'hey, he beats obvious dopers, froome and contador. not normal'. there's no entrance from this state of things. i prefer to think all biggest stars use the same products otherwise its no use following cycling because if this is not thecase, cycling is a clownery, not a sport with the great history.

just for the record i think any podium gt finisher uses doping

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
red_flanders said:
Quibbles about Nibali's strength or form miss the point. Froome just (again) wasted the entire field with ease and coasted to the top. Nibali was simply the last man standing. It's ridiculous watching it.

If there was any reason to believe this guy was just naturally the best, dope aside it would be watchable. But this is a joke.

I get what you mean.

Remove the race numbers and kit and there's nothing unusual about 2 riders beating the field by a minute. It's a bike race. Someone is going to win and thereby waste 'the entire field'

You just don't believe that Froome, based on his pre 2011 performances can be that rider.

That's not unreasonable.

the sceptic said:

He's got a point though. We don't know who would be the best in a clean field. Afaic, it's about whether the rider dopes or not. In the case of froome and Contador, it's a clear yes, just like it was with Armstrong and ullrich back then. Later for who is the more talented. Nowhere near enough info to guess.

TailWindHome said:
I get what you mean.

Remove the race numbers and kit and there's nothing unusual about 2 riders beating the field by a minute. It's a bike race. Someone is going to win and thereby waste 'the entire field'

You just don't believe that Froome, based on his pre 2011 performances can be that rider.

That's not unreasonable.

It's partly that, it's partly how he does it. The ease is ridiculous. He's toying with people. I find it unwatchable.

TailWindHome said:
I get what you mean.

That's not unreasonable.
It's not just froome. Froome makes it more ridiculous, due to his past and due to skys lies and due to the fact that 2 other riders capable of this just happen to be his teammates, and due to the fact that he can do it for 6 months without exhaustion and can do it even coming of illnesses and due to the fact he is lying about Bilharzia.

But on the face of it any rider winning by a minute at those speeds is going to get some suspicion simply because doping has historically provided such a boost that those without it have never been able to beat those with it, in that manner.

red_flanders said:
It's partly that, it's partly how he does it. The ease is ridiculous. He's toying with people. I find it unwatchable.

I find Contador far more ridiculous to watch. When on "top form " he does multiple attacks whilst they are riding at near peak power outputs until he's dropped everyone - that's why he gets so much love from fans because he's so exciting to watch. Froome does one or two attacks, gets a gap and then TT's to the finish.

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
bigcog said:
I find Contadore far more ridiculous to watch. When on "top form " he does multiple attacks whilst they are riding at near peak power outputs until he's dropped everyone - that's why he gets so much love from fans because he's so exciting to watch. Froome does one or two attacks, gets a gap and then TT's to the finish.

That is because Froome's attacks are more deadly. There is no need to attack again.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:
He's got a point though. We don't know who would be the best in a clean field. Afaic, it's about whether the rider dopes or not. In the case of froome and Contador, it's a clear yes, just like it was with Armstrong and ullrich back then. Later for who is the more talented. Nowhere near enough info to guess.

I feel pretty certain that Froome would be nowhere near GT winning potential in a cleans field. I dont care much about the Lance/Ullrich debate, but those two were closer than Froome and Contador imo. Froome is just a ridiculous outlier. Even Riis looks normal in comparison.

red_flanders said:
I don't think that's silly at all. Riis was a far better rider throughout his career than Froome. I think people forget (or weren't around at the time).

I've never seen transformations like Froome or Wiggins. They're an order of magnitude more silly than Riis.
Wiggins is a perfect parallel for Riis.

Froome at least had the decency to transform while he was still almost young.

red_flanders said:
I don't think that's silly at all. Riis was a far better rider throughout his career than Froome. I think people forget (or weren't around at the time).

I've never seen transformations like Froome or Wiggins. They're an order of magnitude more silly than Riis.

Cycling is a relative technological backwater compared to the big money sports. It wouldn't surprise me that one team could steal a march on another team by purely legitimate means. It also wouldn't surprise me if that team stole a march on another by purely illegitimate means.

Unfortunately, you cannot apply a 'presumption of cleanliness' to a professional cyclist.

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
MarkvW said:
Cycling is a relative technological backwater compared to the big money sports. It wouldn't surprise me that one team could steal a march on another team by purely legitimate means. It also wouldn't surprise me if that team stole a march on another by purely illegitimate means.

Unfortunately, you cannot apply a 'presumption of cleanliness' to a professional cyclist.

I would disagree and say cycling has actually been ahead of big money sports in terms of technology.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Too sick to do Liege but the quick healing powers of Aigle/Switserland does this to our Chhris:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=rEKy83DuEw4#t=513

Yeah baby, I love it. He is worse than il Pirata. Cant help himself.

Unreal! That was actually better photo angles than I watched on French TV. Even more ridiculous.

Unbelievable! He absolutely has to be some sort of utterly unique human being, there is no other answer for this...

He's riding like Ricco, he crushes everyone so handily he has to sit up for a bit just to make a game of it.

Full F*cking genius.

TRENDING THREADS