• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 776 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

Rollthedice said:
the sceptic said:
The myth of The Dawg..

The word first began to spread about a talented white kid from South Africa* when I was riding with British Cycling’s academy in Tuscany.

He was racing as part of the UCI’s [Union Cycliste Internationale] team set-up at the World Cycling Centre in Switzerland, an academy for riders from lesser-known cycling countries. Coming up against him, two things were immediately obvious: this lad’s got a huge engine, but he handles a bike like he sat on one for the first time a week ago. He was a lovely chap – friendly, fiercely determined and as innocent as a schoolgirl. He knew nothing of cycling’s history. He knew nothing of cycling’s present. At dinner during the Tour Méditerranéen we were chewing over the day’s stage. ‘Who’s that Cofidis guy? He looks pretty good.’ ‘Yup, that’s David Moncoutié. Lots of big results. And he won it.’ ‘Oh.’ The Tour of Oman, 2013, first stage. ‘Who was that Astana guy? He’s quick!’ ‘Mate, it’s [Vincenzo] Nibali.’

It was rather endearing. Even now you can confuse the hello out of him by talking about Jérôme Pineau and Thibaut Pinot. One spring I found him looking somewhat put out. ‘I can’t believe I’m having to do this Roubaix thing. There’s a race in Portugal I really fancy.’ ‘You want to miss the biggest one-day race in the world?’ ‘Why? Where’s that?’ So Froome was different, in his background, his development, his outlook. Over dinner he would casually tell me stories about being chased by hippos and being locked by his brother in a pen full of angry ostriches. That doesn’t happen in Cardiff.

I was both amazed by him and seriously concerned. He would always totally commit to the team, try to do what was asked and more. In the manic sprints of the Tour Down Under he’d do a long, strong pull at the front and swing over. Then, two kilometres later he’d suddenly be back, dive-bombing most of his team-mates to get on the front and help again. ‘Froomey, good job but leave it to us now.’ At times it was like watching a Clio with the engine of a Ferrari. There was the sense when you rode with him that anything could happen, that all of that raw talent could be blown through some daft accident.

I assume this is written by the future Tour winner, Thomas? We want more stories about being chased by hippos.

correct. Can't wait to read the rest of that book.

Re:

the sceptic said:
The myth of The Dawg..

The word first began to spread about a talented white kid from South Africa* when I was riding with British Cycling’s academy in Tuscany.

He was racing as part of the UCI’s [Union Cycliste Internationale] team set-up at the World Cycling Centre in Switzerland, an academy for riders from lesser-known cycling countries. Coming up against him, two things were immediately obvious: this lad’s got a huge engine, but he handles a bike like he sat on one for the first time a week ago. He was a lovely chap – friendly, fiercely determined and as innocent as a schoolgirl. He knew nothing of cycling’s history. He knew nothing of cycling’s present. At dinner during the Tour Méditerranéen we were chewing over the day’s stage. ‘Who’s that Cofidis guy? He looks pretty good.’ ‘Yup, that’s David Moncoutié. Lots of big results. And he won it.’ ‘Oh.’ The Tour of Oman, 2013, first stage. ‘Who was that Astana guy? He’s quick!’ ‘Mate, it’s [Vincenzo] Nibali.’

It was rather endearing. Even now you can confuse the hello out of him by talking about Jérôme Pineau and Thibaut Pinot. One spring I found him looking somewhat put out. ‘I can’t believe I’m having to do this Roubaix thing. There’s a race in Portugal I really fancy.’ ‘You want to miss the biggest one-day race in the world?’ ‘Why? Where’s that?’ So Froome was different, in his background, his development, his outlook. Over dinner he would casually tell me stories about being chased by hippos and being locked by his brother in a pen full of angry ostriches. That doesn’t happen in Cardiff.

I was both amazed by him and seriously concerned. He would always totally commit to the team, try to do what was asked and more. In the manic sprints of the Tour Down Under he’d do a long, strong pull at the front and swing over. Then, two kilometres later he’d suddenly be back, dive-bombing most of his team-mates to get on the front and help again. ‘Froomey, good job but leave it to us now.’ At times it was like watching a Clio with the engine of a Ferrari. There was the sense when you rode with him that anything could happen, that all of that raw talent could be blown through some daft accident.
Yay, more revisionist history :rolleyes:

Smacks of the Armstrong/Argentin BS from "It's not about the bike"

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Gung Ho Gun said:
What an odd coincidence that someone who doesn't know a thing about cycling and can't ride a bike turns out to be one of the most talented cyclists ever
Are you joking? What has knowing something about cycling or not got to do with talent? You are born with talent it doesn't appear. There are plenty of people out there who know lots about bikes but have zero talent as well there are hundreds of people out there with the talent to win the tour who don't know it. Froome was just lucky to discover his talent.

Re:

the sceptic said:
The myth of The Dawg..

God give me strength.

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site

Ramon Koran said:
Gung Ho Gun said:
What an odd coincidence that someone who doesn't know a thing about cycling and can't ride a bike turns out to be one of the most talented cyclists ever
Are you joking? What has knowing something about cycling or not got to do with talent? You are born with talent it doesn't appear. There are plenty of people out there who know lots about bikes but have zero talent as well there are hundreds of people out there with the talent to win the tour who don't know it. Froome was just lucky to discover his talent.

Too bad it wasn't discovered untill his mid-to-late twenties. One can only dream of the things he could have achieved, had his GT-winning talent been discovered early in his career. :rolleyes:

The Tour of Oman, 2013, first stage. ‘Who was that Astana guy? He’s quick!’ ‘Mate, it’s [Vincenzo] Nibali.’

In 2013 Froome didn't know who Nibali was?

Vincenzo+Nibali+Le+Tour+de+France+2012+Stage+N-1DZ4Uak_il.jpg

pic298112546_600.jpg

Nevermind how many races they rode together before where Nibali was fighting for the win so Froome would have heard about him.

Eg Nibali wore the jersey, won a stage and finished on the podium of the 2010 Giro where Froome was disqualified. Nibali also was the defending champion and pre race favourite for the 2011 Vuelta. Froome's job was to crack Nibali there.

Never heard of him though :eek:

The Hitch said:
Ramon Koran said:
Gung Ho Gun said:
You are born with talent it doesn't appear.
Nice choice of words :D

Good work Hitch, looks like these books are following the Walsh blueprint.

It appears they are trying to map Froome into being green and that's why he didn't win many races before he became super Dawg. Even when he started going fast he still had a lot to learn. Nothing to do with drugs or anything else, he just had to learn to ride a bike properly.

The lies keep coming. I guess Sky has a department dedicated to this, codenamed "The whole truth and nothing but the truth"

“Worried? Not really, to be honest,” Froome said. “Yeah, it was hard at the end of a long day, it hurts, but Brad and I both know they [Nibali’s attacks] weren’t really going anywhere. We were quite within ourselves there at the end.”

Nibali now sits safe in third overall by just over three minutes on Van den Broeck.“He’s in a good position,” Froome said. “He’s obviously now securing his third position a lot better by having dropped a lot of the other favourites. So, it was in our interest to work together and just keep it going."

thehog said:
The Hitch said:
Ramon Koran said:
Gung Ho Gun said:
You are born with talent it doesn't appear.
Nice choice of words :D

Good work Hitch, looks like these books are following the Walsh blueprint.

It appears they are trying to map Froome into being green and that's why he didn't win many races before he became super Dawg. Even when he started going fast he still had a lot to learn. Nothing to do with drugs or anything else, he just had to learn to ride a bike properly.

One of the original explanations was that froome had insane test results but for some unknown reason that even the great scientist Dave brailsfraud couldn't work out, was never able to do it on an actual bike.

Would be interesting to hear how not knowing who Nibali is, stopped him from riding bikes fast in races but did not impede him in training.

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
For starters of course Froome knew who nibali was, the point is that he wasn't following cycling so didn't know he'd transferred to Astana. Know froome knows what everyone is doing what training, where and that gives him an idea on who to look out for during races a huge advantage imo. Along with froome only starting to race at a high level in Europe in 2007 so didn't know tactics. Basically froome breakthrough in 2011 was only 4 years after turning full time pro. So really he wasn't 26 cycling years but 22 so normal. So yes froome is unusual because he come from different background and is probably the best talent out there. To go from dirt roads in Kenya to winning the tour is one of the greatest sporting stories achievements and it really isn't cool to permanently without solid evidence accuse him of illegal methods regardless of what you think of him.

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Everybody knows that races are won by the rider with the most knowledge about the history of the sport. Imagine when Froome learns about that Italian dude Coppi.

This also explains why French riders can never win anything of importance. They know to much about the history of the sport at a young age, so they have no room for improvement in their mid-twenties.

snccdcno

BANNED
Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Putting aside that I don't think that is actually particularly helpful why would he have a huge advantage? Because everyone else isn't paying attention to any of that stuff as they are drinking coffee or whatever.

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
Re:

snccdcno said:
Putting aside that I don't think that is actually particularly helpful why would he have a huge advantage? Because everyone else isn't paying attention to any of that stuff as they are drinking coffee or whatever.
No but before hé didnt pay attention now he does hence he personnaly improves. Of course contador and nibali pay attention to rivals but they have been doing it for years. That's maybe why froome catch up. Of course I don't know if it is a huge advantage but definitely a little advantage a "marginal gain" if you want

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
I'm not suggesting it improves physical capacities of course not, however it will imo help you use your physical capabilities better, and thus it does make a difference after all cycling is tactics as well as pure power otherwise might as well do it in a lab.

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
I am not *100%* sure but I'd say most pros only turn pro at 21-22. So Froome is not that different.

I would say that at that time Froome knew how to ride a bike (kind of) but not really how to race to any consistency. Contador, for comparison, also turned pro at 21 but he had been racing in Europe since he was 15 and I think he was already quite developed in terms of a racing brain and knowing tactics by the time he turned pro. Nibali too was on a similar path. Froome was more like a headless chicken pointed forward and then just told to keep going until he learned how to race more effectively.

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Dear Wiggo said:
lollercopters.

People who have never thrown a leg over a top tube telling us all about the strageties and the tic tacs.

trollercopters.
No I'm not, I'm just using commons sense knowing about your opponents is useful in a race I believe but maybe you know otherwise.

TRENDING THREADS