• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 1060 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Its a real shame Froome and his fans didn't exist through the 50% rule era.

Imagine if Froome tripped that rule, by going twice over (so a 100% hematocrit to follow the comparison)
The comical defenses of - he hasnt tested positive for a banned drug. He did nothing wrong. Maybe the ultimate hypocrite would reappear again with "machine callebration error"

One of the guys in my old club is doing PhD research at Kent Uni and Richardson is his tutor. I've been to one of Richardson's talks. The guy really knows his stuff. They're working on areas of sports science, specifically cycling that simply wouldn't make sense for him to jeopardise themselves by fabricating a Froome asthma diagnosis. From the Richardson talk I went to, him and his research team will make more money from that, then they ever could even if Sky gave them their whole annual budget.

Re:

The Hitch said:

Imagine if Froome tripped that rule, by going twice over (so a 100% hematocrit to follow the comparison)
The comical defenses of - he hasnt tested positive for a banned drug. He did nothing wrong. Maybe the ultimate hypocrite would reappear again with "machine callebration error"
But froome hasn’t failed a drug test, he’s had an abnormal reading.. it’s up to sky/froome to explain themselves now

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
samhocking said:
One of the guys in my old club is doing PhD research at Kent Uni and Richardson is his tutor. I've been to one of Richardson's talks. The guy really knows his stuff. They're working on areas of sports science, specifically cycling that simply wouldn't make sense for him to jeopardise themselves by fabricating a Froome asthma diagnosis. From the Richardson talk I went to, him and his research team will make more money from that, then they ever could even if Sky gave them their whole annual budget.
What he would jeopardise? He can easily said he has done a mistake. Who has never done a mistake?

Re: Re:

rick james said:
The Hitch said:

But froome hasn’t failed a drug test, he’s had an abnormal reading.. it’s up to sky/froome to explain themselves now

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
I’ve seen the run up the ventoux mentionned above, did we ever know what happened to his broken bike when he started running and abandonned it? If he had a motor (which I’m quite convinced), it seems very dangerous to leave his bike which could be picked up by the fans laying around and expose his cheating. Anyway hopefully the French judges will get to him

Tbf most people thought he was doping, myself included. If anything, this whole salbutamol case has made me happy that it seems Froome and Sky just push the limits with biological doping, and less likely that they've been using motors (which is still possible but now seems less likely at least)

TourOfSardinia said:
rick james said:
The Hitch said:

not really, sure it would keep the clinic happy but the Dawg and the team are doing everything within the rules

Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Tbf most people thought he was doping, myself included. If anything, this whole salbutamol case has made me happy that it seems Froome and Sky just push the limits with biological doping, and less likely that they've been using motors (which is still possible but now seems less likely at least)
every athlete is pushing the limit....its what they do

Re:

Seriouslye="PremierAndrew"]Tbf most people thought he was doping, myself included. If anything, this whole salbutamol case has made me happy that it seems Froome and Sky just push the limits with biological doping, and less likely that they've been using motors (which is still possible but
now seems less likely at least)[/quote]
seriously. Froome gets caught with a massive dose of salbutamol. We no longer just suspect he's doping. And we know deep down he's taking other drugs and it will all come out eventually. It's over for Froome and it sure was good while it lasted
Serio

He's a doctor, if he's faked a patient diagnosis for asthma for performance enhancement reasons, instead of a riders health, that's the end of his research funding as he will be struck off by GMC I would imagine. He will make way more money from his research than signing off dodgy asthma certification. He's one of the world's leaders in sports science. I'm sure there's 1001 other doctors with less at stake to do that for Froome is all saying.

Re:

Merckx index said:
There has been some discussion about the parallels with the Contador case. There are some similarities, and there are also a lot of key differences. But here's a similarity that no one I'm aware of has mentioned, and which could be critical to the final judgment.

When Contador's positive was made public, he could have claimed it resulted from a contaminated supplement. As it happened, the final decision concluded it was. But Contador not only did not take that approach, he specifically denied that he had consumed any supplements at that time. He didn't say this because it was the truth--a rider in that position will say most anything that helps his case--but because he knew he would still likely receive a suspension if it was a contaminated supplement. By taking this off the table, he was gambling that he could get off completely, and he lost this gamble. While the final decision was indeed that it was a contaminated supplement, the CAS panel wasn't particularly confident of this, and since Contador hadn't given them any help in this sense, they gave him two years. Had he seized on the supplement explanation from the outset, admitting he had made a mistake, he might very well have gotten just one year. In that case, he still would have forfeited the 2010 Tour, and probably the 2011 Giro, but he could at least have raced the 2012 Tour, and would have been much better prepared for it than he was the the Vuelta that he ended up racing.
Not really. I doubt he would have been cleared by the Spanish if he had pleaded contaminated supplements, and in that case he wouldn't have ridden the 2011 Giro to begin with. De facto, his final ban was 6 months away from racing.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
samhocking said:
He's a doctor, if he's faked a patient diagnosis for asthma for performance enhancement reasons, instead of a riders health, that's the end of his research funding as he will be struck off by GMC I would imagine. He will make way more money from his research than signing off dodgy asthma certification. He's one of the world's leaders in sports science. I'm sure there's 1001 other doctors with less at stake to do that for Froome is all saying.

Dr Bonar was not struck off.

GMC not as straight as it would be hoped.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

rick james said:
its f*cking asthma treatment....not EPO....asthma treatment that transforms you in 2 weeks? sign me up, I'll have some of that

One treatment of the cocktail, plus a motor. ;)

I dont doubt that a couple of puffs of Ventolin will not transform you in 2 weeks, hence the allegation Froome is on a lot more that Salbutamol. :D

He is a pro cyclist and 5 time GT winner. It aint done on Bread, Water and a puff or 2......... :rolleyes:

movingtarget said:
rick james said:
I'm just pissed off as I have asthma and thyroid problems yet I can't get my **** up the Tak Ma Doon.....if I get it sorted I could be a TDF contender

You will probably live longer than many Tour De France contenders so there is that. It's not worth exploring the frontiers of Salbutamol abuse..........
I'm from Scotland, average life span is 40 years old :lol: