• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 1191 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

hrotha said:
Now this is super weird. There are few ways to get a one-off boost that has no real impact on your subsequent performance.

You're right, I'm not aware of any doping methods that work for one day only.

I am aware of countless examples of riders who are not in the kind of form needed for a sustained GC challenge, burying themselves to win an important stage and then paying for it the next day.

So what we're saying is this shows he's not doping, Yeah? :D

Re: Re:

brownbobby said:
hrotha said:
Now this is super weird. There are few ways to get a one-off boost that has no real impact on your subsequent performance.

I am aware of countless examples of riders who are not in the kind of form needed for a sustained GC challenge, burying themselves to win an important stage and then paying for it the next day.
Of all those riders, how many managed to pull it off from the favourites' group instead of getting in a break for their one-off effort? Pantani in 2000? How many had really been trying their hardest and struggling every day to remain in contention, instead of easing up for a few days and then giving it a go? And how many were talking openly about how they were fine now and they were back in the GC race?

hrotha said:
brownbobby said:
hrotha said:

Of all those riders, how many managed to pull it off from the favourites' group instead of getting in a break for their one-off effort? Pantani in 2000? How many had really been trying their hardest and struggling every day to remain in contention, instead of easing up for a few days and then giving it a go? And how many were talking openly about how they were fine now and they were back in the GC race?

Agreed. The organisation gave him one “motor exemption” pass and Dawg used it on the Zoncolon :p

Goes to show RCS didn’t need to buy Froome for the race, they already had a great Giro with Yates & co.

Agreed that today's sudden reversion to pre-Zonc form for Froome is strange. Illness maybe? I think there could be non-doping, or non-mechanical-doping, explanations. Other contenders have suddenly been losing form in this Giro (Chaves, Aru). -- Not sure what it means, but it is interesting. After yesterday, I didn't think there was any chance of something like this happening with Froome.

wasnt this expected before giro? that froome will tone it down a notch,seems to me like whatever he is on,he is a few pegs below his usuall doping program,thats why he can do world class performances one or two times but will pay for it later as opose to being a machine for three weeks...just like Poels,who all of a sudden found his climbing legs on Zoncolan,only to look like a prime candidate for heart attack today

Re:

Forever The Best said:
Terrible at Osimo, world's best at Zonc, terrible again today.
I think this has something to do with mechanical doping.

Why would any governing body give cheaters the leverage against them by pretty much openly ignoring motor use?

If Froome is allowed to use a motor once, he is probably allowed to use it anytime he wants, because even a GT stage won with a help of a motor will have huge consequences for the governing body should it ever come to light.

roundabout said:
Forever The Best said:
Terrible at Osimo, world's best at Zonc, terrible again today.
I think this has something to do with mechanical doping.

Why would any governing body give cheaters the leverage against them by pretty much openly ignoring motor use?

If Froome is allowed to use a motor once, he is probably allowed to use it anytime he wants, because even a GT stage won with a help of a motor will have huge consequences for the governing body should it ever come to light.
I don't know, his peformance just looks very strange to me. It staggered me. I don't know how this is possible with normal doping.

red_flanders said:
Serpentin said:
I don`t get it how he could set that time on the Zoncolan and be crap today.

Fatigue? Not saying it isn't weird how he was so strong yesterday, but I don't find it weird that he fell back off today.
This. Yesterday was a huge effort for a rider who is getting towards top shape, but not quite there yet. Plus, Froome nearly always goes terribly when there is rain in the air.

Obviously everything about Froome is a bit ridiculous and massively suspicious, but a big effort followed by a drop off the next day, would actually be kind of what you would expect from a rider recovering naturally.

DFA123 said:
red_flanders said:
Serpentin said:

Fatigue? Not saying it isn't weird how he was so strong yesterday, but I don't find it weird that he fell back off today.
This. Yesterday was a huge effort for a rider who is getting towards top shape, but not quite there yet. Plus, Froome nearly always goes terribly when there is rain in the air.

Obviously everything about Froome is a bit ridiculous and massively suspicious, but a big effort followed by a drop off the next day, would actually be kind of what you would expect from a rider recovering naturally.

When you say "recovering naturally"... :D

I don't find anything about the guy natural.

DFA123 said:
red_flanders said:
Serpentin said:

Exactly right. The main action of most forms of doping is increased ability to recover and go again. The exact opposite of what we've seen from Froome over the last 2 days. So for once, there seems to be evidence that does the opposite of point to doping.

And the theory that Sky were given a one day pass to get the motorbikes out....seriously, have a word with yourselves :lol:

red_flanders said:
DFA123 said:
red_flanders said:
Serpentin said:

Me neither.

I just think that too often there is a scattergun approach regarding Froome and Clinic issues, looking to pin everything that happens to him on clinic issues, which murkies the water a bit and gives his apologists stuff to counter with and scream 'witchhunt'. There is more than enough hard data, contradictions, failed tests and other concrete stuff to bury him, without focusing on speculation about a slight dip in form the day after a huge effort.

brownbobby said:
hrotha said:

So what we're saying is this shows he's not doping, Yeah? :D
And important to note he pulled off his exploit on a stage they planned far in advance. https://youtu.be/DkKMH3DI3pw And still he only gained a fistfull of seconds.

DFA123 said:
red_flanders said:
DFA123 said:
red_flanders said:
Serpentin said:

Me neither.

I just think that too often there is a scattergun approach regarding Froome and Clinic issues, looking to pin everything that happens to him on clinic issues, which murkies the water a bit and gives his apologists stuff to counter with and scream 'witchhunt'. There is more than enough hard data, contradictions, failed tests and other concrete stuff to bury him, without focusing on speculation about a slight dip in form the day after a huge effort.

Agree with this 100%. I'm actually less convinced of Froome's doping and even a little bit sympathetic towards him since joining this forum. Some of the mud that gets slung at him is just ridiculous, as you say there's enough to be suspicious about for everyone to see, without all the nonsense that gets piled on top.

TRENDING THREADS