• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 1352 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
How much are they paying you, Rick?
giphy.gif

Reactions: fmk_RoI
Froome announced last week that he would be at the Satsuma Criterium. I would challenge the CN headline saying he'd like to compete again this year, they're bloody exhibition races, no competition.

Funny thing, how the criterium season is evolving. Hein Verbruggen tolled its death knell when he moved the Vuelta and tried to fill in the gaps in the August calendar with races, now ASO are taking over and moving it to the real end of the season and not just the end of the Tour.

Why are the twitterati claiming he faked his crash/injuries? whats the rationale here? Do people actually believe this or is it one big in joke I've missed?
Clearly you would be surprised, but some people clearly do beliieve it. It's a bit like thinking the Americans never landed on the moon. Some people think they can justify it must in the eyes of most of us they fail.

Froome announced last week that he would be at the Satsuma Criterium. I would challenge the CN headline saying he'd like to compete again this year, they're bloody exhibition races, no competition.

Funny thing, how the criterium season is evolving. Hein Verbruggen tolled its death knell when he moved the Vuelta and tried to fill in the gaps in the August calendar with races, now ASO are taking over and moving it to the real end of the season and not just the end of the Tour.
Probably should be "take part" but journos' use of English is not what it was.

So, taking all these divergent views into account, do any of them justify cynics immediately jumping to the conclusion that Froome's high speed collision with a wall was intended and was a put-up job with some hidden advantage?

Yes, there are some who jumped to that conclusion, but others are merely sceptical. I have a lot of sympathy for the guy, crashing like that would be horrible, and the mental toughness he has shown (along with other athletes who come back from serious injury) in order to make a comeback is truly inspirational, regardless of whether he's doped in the past or not.

However, given the number of lies Sky have fed cycling fans, you can't blame someone for being slightly sceptical, and this is coming from a Froome fan

Froome was the second pro cyclist to break his femur this season. The first was Nathan Earle.

Earle returned to (proper) racing 110 days after his crash. The Saitama Crit is 137 days after Froome's crash.

A lot of people's suspicions (in the world in general) arise when reality doesn't match their own ignorance.

Last edited:
Froome was the second pro cyclist to break his femur this season. The first was Nathan Earle.

Earle returned to (proper) racing 110 days after his crash. The Saitama Crit is 137 days after Froome's crash.

A lot of people's suspicions (in the world in general) arise when reality doesn't match their own ignorance.
A broken femur is only one of the list of Froome's injuries reported.

Froome crashed into a wall at 37mph in the French town of Roanne last Wednesday, leaving him with multiple broken bones including a fractured neck, a fractured right femur, a broken hip and fractured ribs.
(link)

...recovering from multiple fractures and losing four pints of blood in the accident which saw him placed in intensive care for a number of days.
(link).

His recovery is quite remarkable. I don' t buy into the conspiracy theories, but the comparison isn't valid unless Nathan Earle suffered similar and equally severe additional injuries. I'm not familiar with Earle's crash details. I don't think a comparison which ignores the extent of Froome's injuries is going to reduce suspicions or quash silly conspiracy theories. I think one needs to start with being accurate about what was claimed.

Reactions: Angliru
His recovery is quite remarkable. I don' t buy into the conspiracy theories, but the comparison isn't valid unless Nathan Earle suffered similar and equally severe additional injuries. I'm not familiar with Earle's crash details. I don't think a comparison which ignores the extent of Froome's injuries is going to reduce suspicions or quash silly conspiracy theories. I think one needs to start with being accurate about what was claimed.
Do those other injuries take longer to heal than a broken femur? What's the cumulative effect of those injuries on recovery time compared to standard recovery?

Was Earles a compound fracture? That's a little more complicated than a break. Just Sayin
It's not a lot different. The bones are still made of the same material.

The point is Earle got back to full racing a month faster than Froome will return to an exhibition ride. Which is a better indication of recovery rate for a broken femur than your guesswork.

For another example, Luke Rowe returned to full racing just 6 months after breaking his leg in 20 places.

(And they're all lightweights compared to Billy Monger)

TRENDING THREADS