• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Froome Vs. Contador

Who will you cheer for?

• Neutral

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Froome and Contador are looking like the 2 #1 favorites for the Tour. So who will come out better? Plus who is the better cyclists? Who is the best in top form? And all comparison in between.

Been a lot of discussion/arguing on this in the Contador thread which has lead to a lot of mean spirited talk in the thread (on both sides). So this thread can serve as a place for it instead (the discussion on Froome/Contador comparisons). That way more discusstion and news can be posted in the Contador thread that is on Contador.

I'll even include a poll. ;) Because polls are fun.

I think if Contador Time trials like he did in the Dauphine he has no chance. If he loses 1-2 minutes, he has a chance because he is a winner and will attack anywhere, climbs, descents etc.

However, Froome looks super strong, in my opinion Froome will win. Very solid time trialler, and arguably the best climber in the tour. Barring any accidents I just can't see him being beat.

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Afrank said:
Froome and Contador are looking like the 2 #1 favorites for the Tour. So who will come out better? Plus who is the better cyclists? Who is the best in top form? And all comparison in between.

Been a lot of discussion/arguing on this in the Contador thread which has lead to a lot of mean spirited talk in the thread (on both sides). So this thread can serve as a place for it instead (the discussion on Froome/Contador comparisons). That way more discusstion and news can be posted in the Contador thread that is on Contador.

I'll even include a poll. ;) Because polls are fun.

Contador will come out better for me purely because from tactical reasons. In terms of raw power this season Froome takes it, but the tour is a different animal and Alberto knows that. From an purist view Alberto is a classier rider. Christopher is all over the bike. I also think Froome needs to be very careful in the first week one crash could wreck his chances.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Taxus4a said:
It would be better IMO a thread to talk about the TDF coming, and all his favourites, but this is better than Contador thread for that.

Contador for his career, and Froome for his performances this year and last year Tour are the main favourites.

But there are anothers very important. For me this Tour wont be a Froome vs Contador.

We have that thread, the "who will win the tour?" thread.
http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=20882

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Afrank... what you think being discussed side up and side down in the Alberto thread for weeks now? Do we really need a new one, I don´t think anything new will surface.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
xrayvision said:
Afrank... what you think being discussed side up and side down in the Alberto thread for weeks now? Do we really need a new one, I don´t think anything new will surface.

Well people have stated they don't like all the Froome/Contador talk being in the Contador thread. So this thread can serve as a place for that talk. No, nothing new is likely to surface, but this thread can also serve as a thread for all kinds of general talk concerning both Froome and Contador, both now and in the future.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Taxus4a said:
That is a poll for me, a thead focused in the winner, but of course you tell me there is another for top ten.. for me those are polls... I would like a thread to talk about the coming tour (route, favourites, riders options, teams,...)

But is OK :)

There's a thread for most of those things. Threads aren't strictly only for talk on the threads original question. More general talk on the Tour and it's favorites and other things can be discussed in them.

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Afrank said:
Well people have stated they don't like all the Froome/Contador talk being in the Contador thread. So this thread can serve as a place for that talk. No, nothing new is likely to surface, but this thread can also serve as a thread for all kinds of general talk concerning both Froome and Contador, both now and in the future.

Does anyone in here believe that possibly Froome will go too far into the red on a stage and end up loosing big time? Either that stage, or the following day?

Bexon30 said:
Does anyone in here believe that possibly Froome will go too far into the red on a stage and end up loosing big time? Either that stage, or the following day?

Is Mr. Power Meter likely to go into the red? Personally if there are guys going off the front left and right IMO his hubris will cause him to try and follow all of them. Eventually it will take it's toll :)

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Carols said:
Is Mr. Power Meter likely to go into the red? Personally if there are guys going off the front left and right IMO his hubris will cause him to try and follow all of them. Eventually it will take it's toll :)

I think so also, thing to do is isolate him early enough from Porte to test him or break him. That ADH stage when Alberto forced the hand of Evans,TommyV and Andy with an attack with 90km should do the trick.However, it could backfire and Froome could leave everyone in his wake. I think Sky would be scared to go into a situation like that but that never say die all out approach can work wonders. Isolation is key for Saxo.

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Afrank said:

Ok, point taken.

I won´t predict who will win it, all I can say is I hope they both show up in best possible shape and we will have an epic battle.
What I could imagine is if SKY gets to dominant, then we will probably see a Spanish armada with Piti, Purito and AC. And it´s not only AC that Froome have to keep his eyes on, 3 very aggressive riders who loves to attack, Froome will have his hands full.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
with all the who will win polls we already know who people think will finish higher.
This would have been a good opportunity for a - who will you be cheering for/ against poll. Which camp are you in.

That would have been better, if it's possible for a mod to change the poll question please do.

Well, I consider Froome favourite for this Tour, he deserves already, but he must deserve it on the road.

Things that could go againts him:

If he wasted too much energy along the season trying to win the leadership of the team. In that case he could be be a little tired at the end of the Tour. Other way, the end of the Tour will be his best moment.

Mistakes SKy could make, and they used to do it if the race in a mess and tactic.

Contador with a difference of level with him like in Oman or Tirreno, Contador attackig, with the help in differents days of Purito, Valverde, Rui Costa, Quintana, Pinot, Andy, Evans, TVG, Hesjedal, Mollema, Anton... etc...

I think Froome will win, but with that, maybe Contador doesnt win as well, but Froome could lose the race and any other take advantage.

SKY is a strong team, but not so strong as last year. Thomas is going to climb as never before, they have strong domestiques as Kiriyenka or Kosta, López is a good climber that have finished with Movistar in the top ten of Pais Vasco and other importants races, and he will have beside him Porte, likely one of the 10 strongerst riders of the race, but he will need two Portes, as Wiggins last year, to control a situation like that .

So Froome is the favourite, but it is going to be difficult for him.

The Hitch said:
with all the who will win polls we already know who people think will finish higher.
This would have been a good opportunity for a - who will you be cheering for/ against poll. Which camp are you in.

I think this will come out through the discussion anyway...

Moving back to the topic, AC is proven while Froome is yet to be (at the highest level), despite the hint of his attack last year. Stronger, yes, but AC is more tactically and GT savvy, which at le Tour counts for a lot.
Evans showed that you need to be both strong and astute in 2011, and that where and when you use/show your strength matters more than just being strong.

TRENDING THREADS