• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Froome Vs. Contador

Page 31 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will you cheer for?

• Neutral

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

Miburo said:
Escarabajo said:
So here we are at the Giro d'Italia and people are bumping this thread. Ooops I just did it as well. :eek:

The dauphine is already starting in 4 weeks. We're all hoping for this after all :p

dauphine14-st2-Froome-Contador-e1402328854661.jpg

Yes! I still go back and watch this stage often.

@Escarabajo - as soon as we reach stage 6, I'll be even more interested in the Giro. :)

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
Moved by mods from the Contador thread:

people are giving too much credit to Froome and his team

CF and his team looked strong but hardly at last years tour level and while G will be a huge asset , the tour for Alberto will not be won or lost solely based on Sky's dom's but on what type of form he is on .

Some posters have to stop acting like CF and his team are all on great form and already have a 3 min advantage so the rest of the field has to take huge risks to get time back . If Contador/Q have good form they can sit back and let the Sky train do there thing and wait for their opportunities , there's no reason to try a long range attack or any other high risk tactic until it's necessary .

Re:

red zone said:
Moved by mods from the Contador thread:

people are giving too much credit to Froome and his team

CF and his team looked strong but hardly at last years tour level and while G will be a huge asset , the tour for Alberto will not be won or lost solely based on Sky's dom's but on what type of form he is on .

Some posters have to stop acting like CF and his team are all on great form and already have a 3 min advantage so the rest of the field has to take huge risks to get time back . If Contador/Q have good form they can sit back and let the Sky train do there thing and wait for their opportunities , there's no reason to try a long range attack or any other high risk tactic until it's necessary .

dauphine is not created for any team or any rider looking at the tour level. that is a prep race afterall. ;)

Re: Chaves vs A Yates

Gigs_98 said:
First of all, no Froome hasn't shown he is better than Contador. Nobody said that before this tour but now Contadors crash somehow was the definite indicator how weak he has become ... :confused:

Anyway, I think this topic is actually very interesting. I think neither is a potential tour de france winner. A 4th place in the tdf with only 23 years is ofc. mightily impressive but the tdf field this year was just relatively weak and his performance in the 3rd week wasn't very promising. Depending on what he targets he might however be able to win the giro and the vuelta in the future. He is probably already in the top 10 of gc riders and will hopefully still improve a lot and be in the top 5 in a few years. Therefore I would understand it if he rides the giro next year because I think he would have a decent shot at winning it. Chaves however will probably never be more than a 2nd tier gc rider. The guy is 26 already and I fear he won't really improve that much in the future. Problem I see for him is that he will even hardly win a lesser gt. This year he was more or less on the same level as yates but I think that will change drastically in the next few years.
The question is therefore what OBE wants to achieve. Do they want a tdf win? Then Yates should probably try again in a few years but right now I don't think it's possible. Do they want a gt win? Then they should probably let yates try the giro-vuelta double while Caves can try top get a top 10 in the tour or go stage hunting. The problem about the whole thing is that Yates will probably want to ride the tour because it suits him better and Chaves will want to ride the giro because it suits him better but that way they might end up with two gc riders who are just that little bit too weak to win in their respective gt.

Head firmly in the sand

Re: Chaves vs A Yates

I know this is off topic but can you show me one race in the last years where both Froome and Contador were in top shape and Froome beat Contador?
I don't even want to say that I think Contador is better than Froome but it's simply wrong that Froome has shown he is better than Contador.

From another thread where it was off topic and I probably annoyed most people there with the topic.
viewtopic.php?p=1993588#p1993588

So, I want to make this clear. I never said Contador would have won the tour de france this year if he hadn't crashed. I even wrote in a few threads that I think Froome would have won anyway so I didn't want to underrate him. The only reason why I wrote the comment was because it was a response to someone who said "Froome has shown that he is better than Contador" and imo that is simply wrong. If someone says Froome has shown that he is stronger than Bernhard Kohl it's also wrong. We can be pretty sure that it's the case but he didn't show it anywhere.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Gigs_98 said:
From another thread where it was off topic and I probably annoyed most people there with the topic.

So, I want to make this clear. I never said Contador would have won the tour de france this year if he hadn't crashed. I even wrote in a few threads that I think Froome would have won anyway so I didn't want to underrate him. The only reason why I wrote the comment was because it was a response to someone who said "Froome has shown that he is better than Contador" and imo that is simply wrong. If someone says Froome has shown that he is stronger than Bernhard Kohl it's also wrong. We can be pretty sure that it's the case but he didn't show it anywhere.

Froome has shown he's stronger than anybody in current peloton, including Contador! It dates from 2012 until now. He's the dominant GT rider today, like Contador was 2007-2011, Armstrong 1999-2005, Indurain 1991-1995, etc...

Mr.White said:
Gigs_98 said:

Froome has shown he's stronger than anybody in current peloton, including Contador! It dates from 2012 until now. He's the dominant GT rider today, like Contador was 2007-2011, Armstrong 1999-2005, Indurain 1991-1995, etc...
¨
Heard, heard.

Mr.White said:
Gigs_98 said:

When I bring up the argument "Froome has never shown he is stronger than Contador because they never faced off when both were in top shape" you can't just counter the argument by saying "Froome has shown he is stronger than anybody". Discussing doesn't work like that. As I wrote in the other thread, show me one example where both were in top shape and rode against each other. There just isn't one.

Re:

Pantani Attacks said:
Dauphine '14 and Vuelta '14 are the closest we've gotten, and Contador spanked Froome in both.
I also don't want to use those results since Froome crashed in the Dauphine 2014, and in the Vuelta that year both came back after an injury so we don't know how good they were.
Edit:
del1962 said:
Pantani Attacks said:
Dauphine '14 and Vuelta '14 are the closest we've gotten, and Contador spanked Froome in both.

He only beat Froome in Dauphine after Froome was effected by a bad crash, the Vuelta 14 was where both effected by crashes

Dauphine 2015 Froome beats Contador
Dauphine is only a preparation race. Contador also lost there in 2009.

TDFs:

Froome 3 vs. Contador 2

The only stat that really matters.

There is a huge gulf between how Lemond or Bobet are remembered and someone like Fignon (despite a giro win) and other two-time winners.

Also the vuelta and giro really have nothing to do with the TDF, nothing, they don't even come close, ask the riders, the managers, everyone.

Lemond will always be remembered as a far greater rider than Gimondi - for instance, who won 1 TDF and 3 Giros (and had to compete against Merckx) and has a much greater palmares. Like it or not, the number of TDF victories separates the icons from the good riders. It's why Contador has wanted so badly to win his third (particularly since he is winless since 2009). He knows that to cement a real legacy he will need that third victory - particularly since it will come after the 2010 DQ.

And can we stop with the dauphine 2014 and 2014 season bs. Froome beat Contador at the dauphine prologue. Then beat him again in the first MTF when despite attacking constantly, Froome still out-sprinted him. The idea that contador was somehow unbeatable that year comes solely from the fact that Froome wasn't able to DROP him (like he had in 2013).

There is absolutely no reason to believe that contador would have beaten froome in the 2014 TDF had neither crashed.

In fact, there is little reason to think that contador would have beaten nibali - considering he had already given up close to three minutes, nibali's stunning form that year, and the fact that contador was likely to lose more time in the ITT. The cobbles stage was an indicator of who had the raw flat land power and nibali would have put even more time into contador. I do not see contador taking 4 minutes out of that year's stunning nibali...

Re: Re:

del1962 said:
Pantani Attacks said:

He only beat Froome in Dauphine after Froome was effected by a bad crash, the Vuelta 14 was where both effected by crashes

Dauphine 2015 Froome beats Contador

So should Contador defeat Froome in this years Vuelta we can say that it was an even match with both at the same level? I really don't think you are going to co-sign that one.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Gigs_98 said:
Mr.White said:
Gigs_98 said:

When I bring up the argument "Froome has never shown he is stronger than Contador because they never faced off when both were in top shape" you can't just counter the argument by saying "Froome has shown he is stronger than anybody". Discussing doesn't work like that. As I wrote in the other thread, show me one example where both were in top shape and rode against each other. There just isn't one.

Froome beat him quite more often then other way around in these past 5 years, and in more important races. That's your answer, and that only matters for this discussion. 5 years is a long period and it is easy to establish who has the upper hand in that rivalry. And all this "who was in top shape and who wasn't" bull*** really doesn't matter, cause five years is a long period, as I said, and Contador if he is really a match for Froome would showed that on the greatest scene for both, which is the Tour de France. He failed there miserably, and no Vuelta or any other race can fix that for him!

Froome vs Contador debate depends upon what the question is.

If it who has the better palmares and is more stylish then its Contador.

If it who would have been the best at there prime then it's impossible to tell. We can all have our own opinions, personally I think Froome would have been.
In 2013,15 & 16 a lot of people within cycling were tipping Contador or Quintana.
But Froome each year has constantly improved whilst others haven't.
Each time he has defied expectations and overcome the entire peleton.

Since 2011 i think Froome has been the best GC rider in the peleton, let me explain.
2012 Tour without Froome on Sky, and with Froome racing against Wiggins I don't think Brad would have won the Tour instead with Froome winning.

2012 Vuelta, Froome is Tired post Tour and Olympics and he comes up against a fresh Contador. (Not a head to head battle.)

2013 Tour Froome dominates the race and Contador.

2014 Tour both crash. People forget Contador has crashed a lot recently but is considered a much better bike handler than Froome.

2014 Vuelta wasn't perfect prep for either race. But fair enough Contador was just better.

2015 Giro Contador Wins against one of the weakest Giro fields in recent years.
Aru hasn't proved he is a top 5 GC rider yet and Andrey Amador was in 4th in that Giro.

2015 Tour Contador is tired and Froome wins. (Like the 2012 situation)

2016 Tour Contador crashes twice. (the first time was his own fault)
But in the Dauphine in 2016 Froome was dominant.

Since Froome was a GC rider, overall I think he has been the better all round rider.

Since 2011:
Froome has:
Tour: 3* 1st & 1*2nd
Vuelta: 2*2nd

Contador has:
Tour: a 4th & 5th
Giro: 1*1st
Vuelta 2*1st &

Both have 3 GT wins but we all know the Tour is harder to win.

TRENDING THREADS