• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

I doubt this will work, but this is my effort to consolidate discussion about relative strength and ranking of GC riders so that it doesn’t take over the Remco thread then move to the Vingegaard thread then pop into Roglic, etc. This is about stage races, not classics.

Obviously, this will be a fluid thing, but my unscientific and potentially provocative post-2023 Tour / pre-2023 Vuelta ranking is:
  1. Jonas Vingegaard
  2. Tadej Pogacar
  3. Primoz Roglic
  4. Remco Evenepoel
  5. Geraint Thomas
  6. Jai Hindley
  7. Enric Mas
  8. Joao Almeida
  9. Adam Yates
  10. Carlos Rodriguez

I doubt this will work, but this is my effort to consolidate discussion about relative strength and ranking of GC riders so that it doesn’t take over the Remco thread then move to the Vingegaard thread then pop into Roglic, etc. This is about stage races, not classics.

Obviously, this will be a fluid thing, but my unscientific and potentially provocative post-2023 Tour / pre-2023 Vuelta ranking is:
  1. Jonas Vingegaard
  2. Tadej Pogacar
  3. Primoz Roglic
  4. Remco Evenepoel
  5. Geraint Thomas
  6. Jai Hindley
  7. Enric Mas
  8. Joao Almeida
  9. Adam Yates
  10. Carlos Rodriguez

I think this seems fairly reasonable except for Rodríguez who I don't think belongs. I would put Tao Geoghegan Hart in there. If he can get back to full strength. Maybe also Vlasov? Then again, maybe not.

Ayuso? Definitely above Rodríguez.

I would put Thomas and Hindley above Remco, if we are basing this on GC in the GTs. They have proved a lot more when it comes to that.

I would put S. Yates over Remco as well since he has won the Vuelta, finished on the podium in the Giro and 4th in the Tour. Six times in the top 10.

Bernal, Carapaz... and so on also.

Reactions: wheresmybrakes
I would put Thomas and Hindley above Remco, if we are basing this on GC in the GTs. They have proved a lot more when it comes to that.

I would put S. Yates over Remco as well since he has won the Vuelta, finished on the podium in the Giro and 4th in the Tour. Six times in the top 10.

I think it's supposed to reflect current level. A power ranking.

If it's about stage races and the season so far then Roglič should in my opinion be listed ahead of Pogačar. Roglič won Giro and on top of that has won two week long stage races. Almeida and Yates should likely move a place or two higher. And there is still more to come.
Oh please, Pogacar wipes everyone (including Vingegaard) in one week races and is far and away better than any of Roglic, Remco, Thomas etc. in GTs.

@Valv.Piti

Nop. It's not that. That is i personally believe that Roglič would be able to finish around 3 minutes ahead of Adam Yates at the Tour 23. And as he won Giro and two week long stage races this season. Considering he will still go for Vuelta. So sorry to your bias but so far he is ahead of Pogačar on both stats/results and in my opinion more subjective "power ranking". Spring classics, PN and potential WC RR and races such as Lombardia don't change much. As this is not what the subject of this thread is about.

• Haha
Reactions: Panda Claws

the same Hindley who finished 15 minutes behind Remco?

• Love
Reactions: Ilmaestro99
@Valv.Piti

Nop. It's not that. That is i personally believe that Roglič would be able to finish around 3 minutes ahead of Adam Yates at the Tour 23. And as he won Giro and two week long stage races this season. Considering he will still go for Vuelta. So sorry to your bias but so far he is ahead of Pogačar on both stats/results and in my opinion more subjective "power ranking". Spring classics, PN and potential WC RR and races such as Lombardia don't change much. As this is not what the subject of this thread is about.
As was said. Power. Ranking Is what it is about. As for Pogacar. Higher ceiling. Than Roglic. Who won Giro. But would finish. Below Pog. In Tour. As for spring classics. Not relevant. As this is GC ranking. Power ranking. That is. As for Roglic. If he beats Vingegaard in Vuelta. We can talk. As of now. He is 3rd. As it's power ranking. Not 2023 results ranking.

@Peyroteo94

Personally i feel that none of the mentioned cyclists with notable wins in the past will win all races when racing against each other. Furthermore if we are talking about peak form of any of them. That version in my opinion can beat others, when racing against each other. In regards to your question. Roglič for example has done that already in the past. As for fantasizing about all of them peaking at the same time in some stage race. In my opinion that won't ever happen.

And now back to the subject of this thread. Stage racing in regards to the season so far. Not past season and not future seasons. Here i will put Roglič ahead of Pogačar and in my opinion that is objective.

As was said. Power. Ranking Is what it is about. As for Pogacar. Higher ceiling. Than Roglic. Who won Giro. But would finish. Below Pog. In Tour. As for spring classics. Not relevant. As this is GC ranking. Power ranking. That is. As for Roglic. If he beats Vingegaard in Vuelta. We can talk. As of now. He is 3rd. As it's power ranking. Not 2023 results ranking.

So Roglič wouldn't finish 3 minutes ahead of Yates at this years Tour edition? If he would target that?

• Haha
Reactions: Ilmaestro99

I would look at it like this - in a balanced parcours with all 3 riders targeting the race as a primary goal who would you favour to win. He doesn’t yet have the runs on the board to borrow a cricket analogy but my money would be on Remco.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
I would look at it like this - in a balanced parcours with all 3 riders targeting the race as a primary goal who would you favour to win. He doesn’t yet have the rubs on the board to borrow a cricket analogy but my money would be on Remco.
What three riders are you asking about?

In this moment of time, I would put others before him. The ones I said. It doesnt mean I will in the future.

This was just a current ranking. Not discussing scenarios or if so and so happens.

So Pogacar wouldn't finish 15 seconds in front of Geraint Thomas at this years Giro edition? If he would target that?

Thomas is a nice benchmark indeed. He was third at last years Tour. And somehow we can assume Roglič is a notch above. Based on past performances. So i feel we could say both Roglič and Pogačar in a good form are capable of beating Thomas at a GT. But that ceiling you mention. That is to be determined. In regards to this season and stage races a Giro win and two week long stage races. And still doing Vuelta. Talking about the ceiling.

Guys lets not argue. I am happy we are now arguing if Rogla is third or second. At the beginning of the season he was for example listed at the bottom of top 10 by most experts and "experts" lists.

And there is still more to come in regards to stage racing. So currently i am happy with the trend. As for the true skeptics. For them it doesn't matrer anyway. If Rogla wins Vuelta or not. They have it figured out already.