• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General Doping Thread.

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Benotti69 said:

A good piece. I agree with the statement;

"people who watch the stuff (sport) are beginning — just beginning — to replace their sense of passionate engagement with a shrugging indifference"

Cracks are showing but I don't think things will alter much. Most believers keep on believing, even in the face of daily revelations about sport. Attempting to convince a fan that their sport is dodgy is often like trying to convince a Scientologist their religion is bogus. (Pro) sport will never be allowed to die, there is too much money and power involved and I sincerely believe it's used as method to distract the general populous. Therefore, I expect things to be reined in soon.

Reda the guy who came an unlikely second when Nibali regained the tricolore last year
has been given an 8 year ban for EPO
- its his second offence.

bettiniphoto_0213443_1_originali-kwsG-U140640584194QgF-620x349@Gazzetta-Web_articolo.jpg

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
Pro Sport, an unregulated money-making exercise, fuelled by the naivety of fans who base their perceptions on religious levels of blind optimism and faith, biased further by nationalistic fervour and the fact that they think it’s all run on the same values the egg and spoon race was at school. What’s not to exploit? There seems to be a scandal on almost a daily basis at the moment, and what will change? The square root of FA that’s what. The tempo of revelations is actually (IMO) having the opposite effect to what it should, it’s becoming so routine that there is no ‘shock factor’. Rinse and repeat.

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

The Carrot said:
Benotti69 said:

"people who watch the stuff (sport) are beginning — just beginning — to replace their sense of passionate engagement with a shrugging indifference"

Cracks are showing but I don't think things will alter much. Most believers keep on believing, even in the face of daily revelations about sport. Attempting to convince a fan that their sport is dodgy is often like trying to convince a Scientologist their religion is bogus. (Pro) sport will never be allowed to die, there is too much money and power involved and I sincerely believe it's used as method to distract the general populous. Therefore, I expect things to be reined in soon.

Unfortunately this is exactly what will happen - people will continue to believe and ignore what is right in front of them

It is the same psychology that has created cults and radicalizes religion and causes sports fans to become ultra hard line and aggressive and even violent.

Human beings are programmed to believe that they ar correct and through a process of self fulfilling prophecy will continue to look at only those things that prove their belief and ignore all else.
When a conflicting argument is put forward the more people that are on their side makes the belief all the stronger.
You then bring in the need to belong and the tribal element of sport and following sport
Then add the reflective glory many humans get from the sports teams they follow to fill the void of any meaningful achievement in their own lives and you have the perfect cocktail of blind leadership that causes hooliganism, turf wars, gang affiliation and even the Nazis and the hitler youth. (which was after all just the second biggest youth club in history, behind the boy scouts, which was started by a confirmed facist and nazi sympathiser.)
So to get an individual to admit that all they hold dear and a large part of their external locus is actually false and nothing but a sham is always going to be nigh on impossible

Hence why corruption goes unabashed and why it is used as a distraction for the masses and has been since before the roman times. There is a reason that almost every civilization on earth has had a games of some sort throughout human history at least annually to distract the citizens.

May 14, 2010
Visit site

Rob27172 said:
The Carrot said:
Benotti69 said:

Unfortunately this is exactly what will happen - people will continue to believe and ignore what is right in front of them

It is the same psychology that has created cults and radicalizes religion and causes sports fans to become ultra hard line and aggressive and even violent.

Human beings are programmed to believe that they ar correct and through a process of self fulfilling prophecy will continue to look at only those things that prove their belief and ignore all else.
When a conflicting argument is put forward the more people that are on their side makes the belief all the stronger.
You then bring in the need to belong and the tribal element of sport and following sport
Then add the reflective glory many humans get from the sports teams they follow to fill the void of any meaningful achievement in their own lives and you have the perfect cocktail of blind leadership that causes hooliganism, turf wars, gang affiliation and even the Nazis and the hitler youth. (which was after all just the second biggest youth club in history, behind the boy scouts, which was started by a confirmed facist and nazi sympathiser.)
So to get an individual to admit that all they hold dear and a large part of their external locus is actually false and nothing but a sham is always going to be nigh on impossible

Hence why corruption goes unabashed and why it is used as a distraction for the masses and has been since before the roman times. There is a reason that almost every civilization on earth has had a games of some sort throughout human history at least annually to distract the citizens.

Sport is not entertainment. Grasp that point and you see all.

To me, these were the best two lines in the piece. But I agree with you, major sport's administrators and moneymakers will continue to administrate and moneymake as they do now, even in the face of declining interest, assuming interest does decline. And in that case they can always take their cues from a marginal sport like cycling: if your sport is so corrupt and compromised that it can no longer hold the interest of informed fans, seek new fans rather than reform.

Maxiton said:
Rob27172 said:
The Carrot said:
Benotti69 said:

To me, these were the best two lines in the piece. But I agree with you, major sport's administrators and moneymakers will continue to administrate and moneymake as they do now, even in the face of declining interest, assuming interest does decline. And in that case they can always take their cues from a marginal sport like cycling: if your sport is so corrupt and compromised that it can no longer hold the interest of informed fans, seek new fans rather than reform.
Globalize...

Maxiton said:
Rob27172 said:
The Carrot said:
Benotti69 said:

Sport is a business and in business everything goes as long as you are not caught

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

The Carrot said:
Benotti69 said:

by your sense of cynicism and skepticism, I take it you dont believe in muscular christianity and Gordonstoun? why not shall i ask? do you not believe in Redgrave neither, he is a fine upstanding citizen. What about Oxbridge? What about Stephen Fry?

folks, could you please spell Gordonstoun corrent, its about due respect.

and it is pronounces, Gor DONs toon, okay?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

The Carrot said:
Pro Sport, an unregulated money-making exercise, fuelled by the naivety of fans who base their perceptions on religious levels of blind optimism and faith, biased further by nationalistic fervour and the fact that they think it’s all run on the same values the egg and spoon race was at school. What’s not to exploit? There seems to be a scandal on almost a daily basis at the moment, and what will change? The square root of FA that’s what. The tempo of revelations is actually (IMO) having the opposite effect to what it should, it’s becoming so routine that there is no ‘shock factor’. Rinse and repeat.

paradoxically, the more they catch, the more the common folk thing everyone else is clean/not doping.

only the dopers* are doping

but everyone is a dope

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

Irondan said:
Maxiton said:
Rob27172 said:
The Carrot said:
Benotti69 said:

Globalize...

good posts. and did not Godwin game the system too. As in, the verb, to game. rig

he made internet debate and tropes so unsatisfactory

#Godwin #FTW

Godwin>Huxley

this symbol >
this symbol
>
the symbol "better than", ">". superior to

Godwin > Huxley

Godwin superior to Huxley

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site

blackcat said:
The Carrot said:

paradoxically, the more they catch, the more the common folk thing everyone else is clean/not doping.

only the dopers* are doping

but everyone is a dope

Sad, but true.

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site

blackcat said:
The Carrot said:
Benotti69 said:

by your sense of cynicism and skepticism, I take it you dont believe in muscular christianity and Gordonstoun? why not shall i ask? do you not believe in Redgrave neither, he is a fine upstanding citizen. What about Oxbridge? What about Stephen Fry?

folks, could you please spell Gordonstoun corrent, its about due respect.

and it is pronounces, Gor DONs toon, okay?

What about Stephen Fry? :confused:

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

The Carrot said:
What about Stephen Fry? :confused:

see I knew you did not believe in Stephen Fry.

you dont believe in Gordonstoun.

nor muscular christianity.

what are you, a cynic Carrot? <emphasis on question mark cynic>

<I gotta find me an emoji for carrot, a gestalt of cynicism, nutrition, and good eyesight>

plus carotene

A Los Angeles-based cyclist has pleaded guilty to procuring performance-enhancing drugs from Europe and China and selling them online to professional and amateur athletes, according to court papers.

Nicholas Brandt-Sorenson entered his plea Wednesday in a downtown federal courtroom, admitting to a misdemeanor count of introducing a misbranded drug into interstate commerce, according to court records.

In his plea agreement, Brandt-Sorenson admitted to selling a vial of erythropoietin, or EPO, to an athlete in Boulder, Colo., for $631.

What really caught my eye was the name of his business:

Brandt-Sorenson gained customers through a website he ran, Anemia Patient Group, which claimed to offer information about various performance-enhancing drugs, according to court papers.

The Anemia Patient Group website advertised substances banned by the World Anti-Doping Agency, such as EPO and chorionic gonadotropin, according to his plea agreement.

Also on the site was Actovegin, a derivative of calf's blood that is not approved by the Food and Drug Administration. The website claimed the substances were for "research purposes," according to court papers.

The USADA previously suspended Brandt-Sorenson for two years beginning Sept. 4, 2011, after he tested positive for Efaproxiral, which artificially enhances delivery of oxygen to the tissues.

Brandt-Sorenson now runs an eponymous clothing line for cyclists, according to a biography published on the clothing line's website.

Doesn’t George have a clothing line? It seems to be a good backup business for former dopers.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I think this is a very good comment

The P in PED@vayerism
2h
I love it when people try to "figure it out" it's very simple. Sport can't be fixed. Because, it isn't broken. Its operating as designed.

....it isn't broken. Its operating as designed

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site

The Carrot said:

That's pretty much where I'm at. I used to believe that most athletes found doping abhorrent, and that testing would effectively catch the ones who didn't. I was wrong on both counts. I don't much care about sports these days. Although I do feel bad for those athletes who refuses to dope and are thus getting shafted by the cheaters.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

arcus said:
WADA declares Spain and Mexico non-compliant with anti-doping code..........

https://www.wada-ama.org/en/media/news/2016-03/wada-statement-on-compliance-of-watch-list-national-anti-doping-organizations

While the Spanish NADO has been declared non-compliant, WADA recognizes that there is currently no sitting government in the country, and therefore understands the difficulties the country is facing with resolving its outstanding issues at this time.

Handy for those based in Girona............ :rolleyes: