• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 381 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Red Rick said:
Is there any news on the European Championchips for next year? If Sagan is getting a jersey I'd assume they're planning on organizing it continuously.

Though I do like the idea, I don't think it should be as late as it was this year, I think it can be in the slot of the ORR in non-Olympic years. I don't want to see big championchips too close to each other
I think it normallly is for the Women, U23 and Junior catorgories.

Re:

Red Rick said:
So next year Sagan will be riding around in a euro jersey until suddenly noone is?
Depends, it's hard to say what will happen, whether they keep it open next year or they return it to espoir level or what (of course, if Sagan wins in Doha it ceases to be of any relevance). Van der Breggen is wearing one at the moment, for the record, like the podium ones - white with a blue band with stars across the middle, so strangely different to the all-blue one that Niewiadoma has been wearing all season (the next question will be, since she won the U23 version of the jersey, and defended her title thereby, does she get to keep it even though Anna VDB won the actual race?). But then, I don't recall Zorzi or Stultiens wearing the European champion's jersey all season the way Kasia did, although it may come down to the individual teams (Stultiens won it with Rabo then moved to Liv for 2015, so she may have worn it for a couple of day's racing in late 2014, I haven't seen that though).

Or, if it's not going to be held every year for the elites and will instead be done biennially or every four years or whatever, does that mean Slovak Barbosa gets to wear the jersey for more than a year, however long it takes for a new elite European RR champ to be crowned, since they've commissioned one?

Re:

DNP-Old said:
It would be fecking amazing if Manzana Postobon managed to get a PCT-license.

Looks like they will. They are on the list of applications received by the UCI and, unlike some existing teams, apparently had their paperwork in order.

I think the issue is less whether they get the PCT licence and more if they have the money to travel to many races.

EroicaStradeBianche said:

tl;dr: Nibali's fault for not winning he should've offered Henao money to pull back Majka, these deals are common like in Zolder 2002 (flattest course ever other than Doha) when italy offered a team that didn't have any sprinters some money to help pull the peloton to assure the sprint

GuyIncognito said:
EroicaStradeBianche said:

tl;dr: Nibali's fault for not winning he should've offered Henao money to pull back Majka, these deals are common like in Zolder 2002 (flattest course ever other than Doha) when italy offered a team that didn't have any sprinters some money to help pull the peloton to assure the sprint
Cipollini also stated that Henao is nothing but a follower and implied he can use the money and cannot do anything with an olympic gold vs Nibali can make a lot so offering Henao over $100k should have been sufficient for Henao to take on Majka and leave the gold for Nibs. Always a classy guy that Cipollini

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
I see a problem with that, something along the lines of 'Majka was clear because Nibali had broken his collarbone and ended up not finishing the race, you attention-seeking moron'.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news...ered-henao-money-help-win-olympic-gold-289455
also cyclingweekly reports.
I read the original interview and like always the article distorts some passages. For example "Henao is no longer just an average" is a wrong translation. He says that Henao is a domestique therefore a victory wouldn't have changed anything for him.
I find strage the part about the WC that he won. Who worked for him that day? Very strange declarations by Cip, I don't know at what is he really referring or where he wants to arrive...