• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 408 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

GenericBoonenFan said:
StephenC2020 said:
Um, that can't be legal can it?

Iirc, there's some law here in Belgium having to do with hair in the workplace, dating back to the Industrial Revolution when women would often get their long hair stuck in the machines and therefore there was a only a certain length allowed.

Oh, right. Is it common for workplaces to require their employees to shave then?

StephenC2020 said:
GenericBoonenFan said:
StephenC2020 said:

Iirc, there's some law here in Belgium having to do with hair in the workplace, dating back to the Industrial Revolution when women would often get their long hair stuck in the machines and therefore there was a only a certain length allowed.

Oh, right. Is it common for workplaces to require their employees to shave then?

In many countries, the military and police have restrictions on facial hair. In some navies you might be able to request to wear a beard of a certain, traditional type, or a sensible moustache - and even then you might be turned down. If that rule applies in the state sector, why not in the private sector?

GenericBoonenFan said:
StephenC2020 said:

Wouldn't a rider need to have a pretty long beard for safety to be an issue? I suppose you could potentially get your beard (hair) stuck in parts of the bike, but those parts aren't really where the head usually is when you're riding your bike.

RedheadDane said:
GenericBoonenFan said:
StephenC2020 said:

Wouldn't a rider need to have a pretty long beard for safety to be an issue? I suppose you could potentially get your beard (hair) stuck in parts of the bike, but those parts aren't really where the head usually is when you're riding your bike.

I think it's one of those ancient laws we have (like our mayonnaise law who we just modernized). I think it just allows the employer to prescribe certain rules about hair. (Again I could be completly wrong on this)

BTW: Neo-pro Emiel Planckaert who will join them says he'll shave his beard.

I like Walter Planckaert, if only for his career as a rider but this looks like Czar Peter the Great or Mustapha Kemal Attaturk. :p Being irresistably modern at the detriment of traditional freedoms. :Neutral: I know that cycling has attractiveness problems but this is not the right measure to take, I think.

There were two historical Planckaert clans with no relation to one another. Recently there's been a third one, though with no relation to the two former.

The Planckaert's of Nevele were represented by the brothers Willy, Walter and Eddy. The most famous lineage, multiple classic winners. They had racing children as well Francesco and the infamous Jo.

The Planckaert's of Zwevegem were represented by André and Jozef. Jozef was the most famous. Winner of Liège-Bastogne-Liège

and now the Planckaert's of Kortrijk are represented by Baptiste, Edward and Emiel. All three are Ignace Planckaert's children, an average rider in the eighties.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site

GenericBoonenFan said:
I think it's one of those ancient laws we have (like our mayonnaise law who we just modernized). I think it just allows the employer to prescribe certain rules about hair. (Again I could be completly wrong on this)

Mayonnaise law? Do tell.

Beech Mtn said:
GenericBoonenFan said:

Mayonnaise law? Do tell.

In Brief, there was a law saying that every single branch of mayonaise in Belgium had to contain atleast 80% of fat. Sauces with a lower amount of fat were illegal. Absurd right?

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site

GenericBoonenFan said:
Beech Mtn said:
GenericBoonenFan said:

Mayonnaise law? Do tell.

In Brief, there was a law saying that every single branch of mayonaise in Belgium had to contain atleast 80% of fat. Sauces with a lower amount of fat were illegal. Absurd right?

:D

qmJkqtc.png

GenericBoonenFan said:
Beech Mtn said:
GenericBoonenFan said:

Mayonnaise law? Do tell.

That is the most belgian thing I've ever heard.

Alongside with those another law got withdrawn: Foreigners in Belgium are now allowed to keep Pidgeons.
And one we kept: The military can take your horses and oxen to pull military vehicles in times of need. Also technically our own flag isn't conform with our constitution. The constitution says our flag is red-yellow-black while every flag in this country is black-yellow-red.

Back to cycling now: That Turkey field looks rather weak.

GenericBoonenFan said:
Beech Mtn said:
GenericBoonenFan said:

Mayonnaise law? Do tell.

Well, you can't both eat mayonaise and watch your fat-intake. If you wanna eat mayonaise you better commit to eating that mayonaise, and therefore the manufacturers can't help you cheating by having a low-fat option!

:p

Re:

yaco said:
The field is better than it looked 2 months ago with only one or two WT teams - Not helped by the Tour of Guangxi having a surprisingly loaded field.

"Events registered on the UCI WorldTour calendar for the first time in 2017 and thereafter shall ensure the participation of a minimum of 10 UCI WorldTeams in their events," the rules now state. "In case of failure by one of these events to ensure the participation of 10 UCI WorldTeams during two consecutive editions, the registration of the said event shall be withdrawn from the UCI WorldTour calendar."

So they might get back to 2.HC soon.

According to Sporza UCI has some new guidelines for next season:

-Ignoring the red lights at a railroad crossing will get you suspended for a month and a fine up to €4300. Same punishment goes for riders hanging onto a teamcar.

-Missing the time limit will result in loss of all points in the minor classifications if the jury decides not to kick you out.

These seem like decent measures. I hope they'll enforce them. Ignoring stoplights at a railroadcrossing is incredibly stupid and a horrible example for society.

Re:

Breh said:

-Ignoring the red lights at a railroad crossing will get you suspended for a month and a fine up to €4300. Same punishment goes for riders hanging onto a teamcar.

-Missing the time limit will result in loss of all points in the minor classifications if the jury decides not to kick you out.

These seem like decent measures. I hope they'll enforce them. Ignoring stoplights at a railroadcrossing is incredibly stupid and a horrible example for society.

Seems decent. I guess giving time penalties wouldn't do too much for those finishing outside the teme limit.

While browsing Twitter during the last few days, I noticed the speculations about Kigali/Rwanda as a future host of the world championships spreading again. I remember this being the case during last year's worlds taking place in an empty desert, while the Tour du Rwanda was celebrated by huge crowds.
Do you think this is just pure speculation by some who are taking themselves too seriously or is there a chance? Even the Rwandan Minister of Sports got involved and stated that Kigali had the necessary infrastructure to organise an event like that.
There have never been Road World Championships in Africa, so regarding the globalisation of the sport it seems like a logical step. With the new UCI president in mind the chances might be bigger than before, after all Lappartient looks like he wants to bring more passion into the sport again especially regarding the Qatar fiasco.
How do you rate the chances of this happening in the next, say, five years?

Having seen those pictures from the Tour of Rwanda I really hope they can get it some day. However, and this might be extremely prejudiced, I dunno if they can afford it. If not, then maybe the richer national federations should lend them a hand.

Red Rick said:
Breh said:

Seems decent. I guess giving time penalties wouldn't do too much for those finishing outside the teme limit.

I honestly found myself wondering why your placing in the GC wouldn't be affected... :rolleyes:
My brain's a bit behind.