• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 468 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
So the route for the 2021 Mont Ventoux Challenge has been revealed, and it's the toughest one yet. It's shorther than the first two editions, but with two ascents of the Ventoux it has more elevation gain. It has obviously been modeled after the 11th stage of this year's Tour, which also features the Ventoux double.

The organisers has also announced plans for a women's race to be held alongside the men's in 2022. Now that La Course has moved away from the mountain stages they had in 2017 and 18, it'll be great to have a similar one-day race on their calendar too.

VoGjYkisY9MPGwt5JRTQFU-970-80.jpg.webp

Ventoux challenge for women is great

Or if one of the men just hangs on to someone like van Vleuten for a lot of the race. ;)
But of course the same rule as always applies in ITTing should still apply here; not sitting in wheels!

Having someone in your sights to pace you would still help you. But I don't think it would work, cause they would either have to start early/finish late or have a reduced peloton. But I agree that would be interesting to see such a race.

Having someone in your sights to pace you would still help you. But I don't think it would work, cause they would either have to start early/finish late or have a reduced peloton. But I agree that would be interesting to see such a race.

Would the need for that have been greater than if it had been a regular case of "first one group, then the other"? However, the I actually don't think the idea of having a reduced "peloton" (however much you can talk about pelotons in an ITT) is that bad, especially since it could open the door for more of the "lesser teams".

Would the need for that have been greater than if it had been a regular case of "first one group, then the other"?

That would depend on the lengths of the road races and the ITT. But it may not be that different.

However, the I actually don't think the idea of having a reduced "peloton" (however much you can talk about pelotons in an ITT) is that bad, especially since it could open the door for more of the "lesser teams".

I guess they could have 18 or 20 men's teams and the same for the women with 3 to maximum 6 riders from each. Then it would obviously be easier for a lesser team to make a result, when they wouldn't have to compete with 14 riders from INEOS and SD Worx, for instance.

Oh, I thought we were talking about just an ITT.

Ah ok, I thought you were refering to a normal road race, where they started seperately, my bad. If it's an ITT anyway, it obviously doesn't make a difference, if they start mixed or divided. My initial point was that if they started an MITT with around 300 riders (either men and women together or seperately), it would take a long time to finish it. But with a reduced peloton it could work fine, probably.

300 riders a minute apart with the whole ascent taking 1 hour for the last rider(s) lasts for 6 hours in total. So shorter time than the longest one-day races. So you could have the last 20 riders (10 men and 10 women) 3 minutes apart.

I guess I could just have tried to do the math :laughing:
6 hours is still a lot of time for an ITT though. I wouldn't watch it all that's for sure.

TRENDING THREADS