• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 526 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Guys we are all just hypocrits for our lack of protesting game hunting, and we should all be extremely grateful to Netserk for exposing our flaws.
I don't think that makes anyone a hypocrite, but it does reveal that the line isn't drawn at shooting animals for fun. You could make a distinction between justified and unjustified killing of animals for fun, but I responded to an unconditional statement.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I don't think Trek will fire Tiberi, but they temporarily suspended Simmons for not displaying what the team wants to stand for, and this obviously can be the case here as well.
I think Trek knew about this since it dates back to June 2022 but of course the media interest might bring different consequences.
Also, I'm not sure this was translated, he used a pellet gun.

I don't think that makes anyone a hypocrite, but it does reveal that the line isn't drawn at shooting animals for fun. You could make a distinction between justified and unjustified killing of animals for fun, but I responded to an unconditional statement.
Your point would be a lot more compelling if recreational hunting wasn't already hugely controversial, and quite likely to be frowned upon by most people tearing Tiberi a new one for what he did

Your point would be a lot more compelling if recreational hunting wasn't already hugely controversial, and quite likely to be frowned upon by most people tearing Tiberi a new one for what he did
Recreational hunting is controversial in Europe? Wow the US really is different from Europe in terms of that kinda stuff. BTW, there should be more punishment for Tiberi.

Hugely so? Say 20 % of some population would want it outlawed, do you think all activities that had such a numerous opposition should be described as hugely controversial?
I, too, love pulling numbers out of my *** to defend someone murdering a cat.

Fwiw, actual polls consistently show far greater opposition to (recreational) hunting (especially in Europe), whether in the US, in Canada, in France, in the Netherlands, and so on. I would link an Italian poll as well considering it's an Italian rider we're discussing, but I can only find those by hunting or animal rights organisations, which naturally differ wildly.

Fwiw, actual polls consistently show far greater opposition to (recreational) hunting (especially in Europe), whether in the US, in Canada, in France, in the Netherlands, and so on. I would link an Italian poll as well considering it's an Italian rider we're discussing, but I can only find those by hunting or animal rights organisations, which naturally differ wildly.
I’d be really Interested in how people see hunting as worse than animal farming and slaughter, as long as the animals are being eaten. I think the rate of vegetarians/vegans is less than 20% of the population so wouldn’t make sense for a higher percentage than that to oppose hunting, unless people really are hypocrites. I guess I just answered my own question then.

Your first links says 26 % affirms "Do you think hunting animals for sport is wrong and should be prohibited by law". I can think of many activities where an equal portion of the population would want it outlawed, yet few here would describe that as hugely controversial.

And I clearly phrased the 20 % as merely representing whatever plausible number. My question wouldn't have been different if I wrote 26 %.

I’d be really Interested in how people see hunting as worse than animal farming and slaughter, as long as the animals are being eaten. I think the rate of vegetarians/vegans is less than 20% of the population so wouldn’t make sense for a higher percentage than that to oppose hunting, unless people really are hypocrites. I guess I just answered my own question then.
Veering very far away from cycling here, but the Canadian poll I linked has 14% for and 81% against hunting for sport, 62% for and 32% against hunting for meat, and 72% for and 22% against the consumption of meat. And fwiw there are issues with hunting, even for meat, that don't apply to the wider meat industry, mainly the fact that people - including non-hunters - can be accidentally killed by hunters.
Your first links says 26 % affirms "Do you think hunting animals for sport is wrong and should be prohibited by law". I can think of many activities where an equal portion of the population would want it outlawed, yet few here would describe that as hugely controversial.
...and a further 33% disapprove of hunting but also disapprove of a ban, but apparently that combination of views doesn't count towards the controversiality of the issue?

You're focusing on the least important bit, presumably because you feel like arguing over nothing. Whether or not it can be described as "hugely controversial" in your book, it is controversial, and there's no hypocrisy involved when the imaginary people you're calling out for not being against recreational hunting are more likely than not also against recreational hunting.

You're focusing on the least important bit, presumably because you feel like arguing over nothing. Whether or not it can be described as "hugely controversial" in your book, it is controversial, and there's no hypocrisy involved when the imaginary people you're calling out for not being against recreational hunting are more likely than not also against recreational hunting.
I didn't accuse anyone of hypocrisy, nor did I call anyone out. I probed @search's views.
you need to be a proper *** to shoot any kind of animal for fun
Is hunting game not for fun?
It wasn't obvious to me that hunting game would deem one as a proper ***.

Tiberi shot the cat in the skull from close range to test his air-rifle, and killed it. It's a disgusting behaviour and is not that of a mentally sound person.

It's bizarre that you are even trying to debate this. You must have not a lot going on this morning

"Another study showed that individuals who abused animals were 500 percent more likely to be arrested for a violent crime and 300 percent more likely to commit crimes related to drugs when compared to individuals who lived in the same area and who were the same age and gender."

https://www.hg.org/legal-articles/a...ate-the-potential-to-commit-other-crimes-8011

Just a few from the long list......

Ted Bundy,

Richard Chase,

Carroll Edward Cole (linked with 35 murders and executed for 5),

Jeffrey Dahmer (who killed and cannibalized his victims),

Albert DeSalvo (the Boston Strangler who killed 13 women),

Dennis Rader,

Gary Ridgeway

"Another study showed that individuals who abused animals were 500 percent more likely to be arrested for a violent crime and 300 percent more likely to commit crimes related to drugs when compared to individuals who lived in the same area and who were the same age and gender."
It's unsurprising that an act of violence is an indicator for other acts of violence, but surely it matters more to what degree it's causal.