• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 524 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is it?
Original proposals were pure fantasyland stuff like 2000m high hollow building with skiing slopes and the entire shebang.

70m isn't much more than the 'let's cover this trash heap and put a single lane road on it' stuff we already have with the VAM berg.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Original proposals were pure fantasyland stuff like 2000m high hollow building with skiing slopes and the entire shebang.

70m isn't much more than the 'let's cover this trash heap and put a single lane road on it' stuff we already have with the VAM berg.
Small step for a man, giant step for society. If this succeeds, you can set your clock to it that the likes of Thijs Zonneveld and other inbreds will jump out of the woodworks to demand more. Die berg komt er.

I didn't know where to post this without starting a new thread, which didn't seem proper, except here. In this CN article you will find the distances and winning average speeds of all the Paris-Roubaix races from 2018 back to the editio princeps in 1896. https://www.cyclingnews.com/races/paris-roubaix-2023/race-history/

I was quite struck, to say the least, with this ride in 1900, presumably on a fixed-gear bike that weighed 15 kg or so, with no technical support for flats/mechanicals and, in addition to the pave, the roads were unpaved throughout (or so I would imagine): Emile Bouhours (Fra) 268 km (37.352 km/h).

We are for all intents and purposes in the Stone Age of cycling, yet compare Bouhour's time with these slower ones: 1973 Eddy Merckx (Bel) 272 km (36.370 km/h); 1978 Francesco Moser (Ita) 263 km (36.494; km/h); or early EPO era 1994 Andreï Tchmil (Mda) 270 km (36.160 km/h). Even though a bit faster, we're still talking about 2001 compared to 1900: 2001 Servais Knaven (Ned) 254.5 km (39.19km/h).

Considering the differences in machines, road surfaces, team organization and support, or such other factors as weather conditions and wind direction/speeds (which I frankly don't know) over comparable distances; it's absolutely incredible that in 1900 Bouhours could put up a time faster than Tchmil in 1994. Back in those days, moreover, I imagine he would also have been out in front solo or with very little company for at least 150 km.

He must of been really freekin strong is all I have to say.

Last edited:
I didn't know where to post this without starting a new thread, which didn't seem proper, except here. In this CN article you will find the distances and winning average speeds of all the Paris-Roubaix races from 2018 back to the editio princeps in 1896. https://www.cyclingnews.com/races/paris-roubaix-2023/race-history/

I was quite struck, to say the least, with this ride in 1900, presumably on a fixed-gear bike that weighed 15 kg or so, with no technical support for flats/mechanicals and, even if the pave were not yet introduced, on unpaved roads throughout nonetheless (or so I would imagine): Emile Bouhours (Fra) 268 km (37.352 km/h).

We are for all intents and purposes in the Stone Age of cycling, yet compare Bouhour's time with these slower ones: 1973 Eddy Merckx (Bel) 272 km (36.370 km/h); 1978 Francesco Moser (Ita) 263 km (36.494; km/h); or early EPO era 1994 Andreï Tchmil (Mda) 270 km (36.160 km/h). Even though a bit faster, we're still talking about 2001 compared to 1900: 2001 Servais Knaven (Ned) 254.5 km (39.19km/h).

Considering the differences in machines, road surfaces, team organization and support, or such other factors as weather conditions and wind direction/speeds (which I frankly don't know) over comparable distances; it's absolutely incredible that in 1900 Bouhours could put up a time faster than Tchmil in 1994. Back in those days, moreover, I imagine he would also have been out in front solo or with very little company for at least 150 km.

He must of been really freekin strong is all I have to say.
He didn't ride over the cobbles, he rode between them. Later they would rearrange the cobbles so that this was no longer possible.

Or possibly in 1900 they used GPS technology that is still being used in the Giro to this day.

But seriously, i'm going with inaccurate time/distance measurements. Or the guy took a train somewhere.

He didn't ride over the cobbles, he rode between them. Later they would rearrange the cobbles so that this was no longer possible.

Or possibly in 1900 they used GPS technology that is still being used in the Giro to this day.

But seriously, i'm going with inaccurate time/distance measurements. Or the guy took a train somewhere.
We'll, officially at least, he rode the whole distance and again there were no asphalted roads, so even if he could have ridden between the cobbles, the general conditions must have been extremely arduous, And these true pioneers of the sport rode on machines like this and in such aero positions, handlebar baffi with it!

https://it.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:1896Josef_Fischer.jps

PS. Wikipedia, at least, confirms his time:

Last edited:
There are some cautiously optimistic words in media that the "Tour of Austria" (under this new name instead of Österreichrundfahrt) will really take place this July. The Austrian continental teams have joint forces to get it organized again after all the chaos of the past years.

It's not (or even far from?) fully financed yet, as far as I understood, but I guess it's the last chance. The designated route looks like this:

• E1: Vorarlberg (Dornbirn – Dornbirn)
• E2: Tirol (St. Anton – Innsbruck)
• E3: Osttirol – Salzburg (Sillian – St. Johann/Alpendorf)
• E4: Salzburg – Oberösterreich (St. Johann/Alpendorf – Steyr)
• E5: Niederösterreich (Ybbs an der Donau – Sonntagberg)

Until 2027, they want to extend the race to nine stages to visit all nine states of Austria.

There are some cautiously optimistic words in media that the "Tour of Austria" (under this new name instead of Österreichrundfahrt) will really take place this July. The Austrian continental teams have joint forces to get it organized again after all the chaos of the past years.

It's not (or even far from?) fully financed yet, as far as I understood, but I guess it's the last chance. The designated route looks like this:

• E1: Vorarlberg (Dornbirn – Dornbirn)
• E2: Tirol (St. Anton – Innsbruck)
• E3: Osttirol – Salzburg (Sillian – St. Johann/Alpendorf)
• E4: Salzburg – Oberösterreich (St. Johann/Alpendorf – Steyr)
• E5: Niederösterreich (Ybbs an der Donau – Sonntagberg)

Until 2027, they want to extend the race to nine stages to visit all nine states of Austria.
So the St. Johann/Apendorf stage is probably the classic one over the Großglockner.
A Dornbirn circuit has the potential to be crazy with a Bödele + Lorenapass loop.
Curious to see what they do with St. Anton - Innsbruck, since it's rather short and you can put multiple shorter climbs in it, one could even go over the Kühtai Sattel or even better, Silzer Sattel + Kühtai before a short hill near Innsbruck.

Curious to see what they do with St. Anton - Innsbruck, since it's rather short and you can put multiple shorter climbs in it, one could even go over the Kühtai Sattel or even better, Silzer Sattel + Kühtai before a short hill near Innsbruck.
the so called "stage concept" mentions "shorter stages", "finishing circuits" and "well known routes, including passages of Bundesligarennen and Radmarathons". So maybe that gives an indication?

There's also talk of a "prologue inside the Igler Eiskanal", but I don't think that's an idea for this year.

• Wow
I take it that is a bobsleigh track? Downhill ITT with steeply banked sides and sharp turns: I think I am more scared at the prospect than excited.
the "Bobbahnsprint" in Igls already exists as an annual race. It looks less spectacular than it sounds

• Wow
the "Bobbahnsprint" in Igls already exists as an annual race. It looks less spectacular than it sounds

Looks like the taller riders might need to mind their heads. Though, it's possible it's a race where teams would favour climbers anyway, so no really tall riders.