• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 528 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Do you really think it was Adam Hansen who didn't want to do the stage ? He was merely the UCI rider's representative at the Giro and did the negotiations with the organisers on behalf of the riders. Anyway, hopefully, RCS have learned it is silly to have a pan-flat 250+ stage in stage 18 or 19 - Actually it's silly to have this type of stage full-stop.
It really doesn't matter that much. 250km flat stages are not hard for the riders at all. Riders do under 200W in the peloton for 1 full exta hour boo hoo

It's really about the precedent. Riders don't want to race in the rain so they flatout refuse to race the parcours set out by the organiser? Please.

Reactions: Sandisfan
It really doesn't matter that much. 250km flat stages are not hard for the riders at all. Riders do under 200W in the peloton for 1 full exta hour boo hoo

It's really about the precedent. Riders don't want to race in the rain so they flatout refuse to race the parcours set out by the organiser? Please.

I doubt there would have been an issue if the stage was 150 or 170kms.

Reactions: saunaking
I doubt there would've been an issue if riders didn't refuse to do their job that day.

If you're invited and selected for a race, don't undercut that race by refusing to race. It can harm the organiser to organise that race in the future.

Rain isn't part of the EWP. Dealing with weather is part of being a cyclist.

Well, many people like me think that long races and stages are still an essential part of the sport. If cycling overall agrees it's not that way anymore, okay, than viewers like me have to deal with it and decide whether it is still the sport they like. (It is also part of the "myths" and the "epicness" which cycling is so proud of.) Anyway, as long as it is a part of the cycling and such a stage has been known to be in a race for months, riders should not just be like "oh no, I don't think it's worth it today", and cancel the racing during the day. It ridicules the sport and is disrespectful towards the fans.
Now the way I understood it, there were other issues at play behind the scenes, and a long stage in the rain was more like the final straw that broke the camel's back than the actual problem. But overall riders should have a real reason to refuse to ride in the middle of a race, not just "not worth it, not interested, not in the mood".

I doubt there would've been an issue if riders didn't refuse to do their job that day.

If you're invited and selected for a race, don't undercut that race by refusing to race. It can harm the organiser to organise that race in the future.

Rain isn't part of the EWP. Dealing with weather is part of being a cyclist.

I have also heard a good few riders regret what happened that day, feeling embarrassed.

Every now and then, we make a bit of noise about the need for riders to have a strong union, the need for riders to not be powerless.

One of the few bits of power available to any worker is the right to protest. And the best kind of protest - the impactful kind of protest - is going to be well timed and designed to inconvenience someone.

In a bike race, the only time for that really is the day of a race.

Sometimes it is necessary to put a race organiser in danger in order to make them listen. That's been understood for a long time and in cycling is best shown in the story about the riders' protest in Valence d'Agen during the 1978 Tour.

we make a bit of noise about the need for riders to have a strong union
Who is this "we"?

One of the few bits of power available to any worker is the right to protest. And the best kind of protest - the impactful kind of protest - is going to be well timed and designed to inconvenience someone.
The best kind of protest has credible escalation options that it doesn't need to use. Compare the means and the results of labour unions in Denmark and France.

Because at the end of the day, conflicting interests is not a zero-sum game. Resolving conflicts, working out comprises, is usually the winning strategy.

Last edited:
I have read 2 things about the take away from the first few races including the Cycling news story.. My take away is that coaching wise Pogocar saw what his weak points were, worked on them and in doing so fixed what was wrong and as a byproduct has a decent @100 meter jump.. Not the top speed of the current best sprinters but tree stump pulling torque when he stands up and stomps on the pedals.
All others look to be going well..but don't have the depth of confidence that Popocar currently has..

I think its daft to admit to wearing it when there is no concrete evidence - Anyway according to reports the sensor on the monitor was not connected to her phone during the race - We need to understand the context that Faulner ( for unknown reasons ) was not originally selected for Strade Bianche and was a last minute replacement.
There are multiple photos of her wearing it.

The faux outrage from people like Jose Been and Orla Chennaoui is laughable. The rules are clear, so its her and the teams fault for wearing one. Yes it seems they offer little advantage if any at all, but the rules are clear.

FWIW I think Faulkner has handled it well, shes got a DSQ lets move on. I enjoyed her last season in the Tour de Suisse and Giro so hoping so see more of her this season.

The faux outrage from people like Jose Been and Orla Chennaoui is laughable. The rules are clear, so its her and the teams fault for wearing one. Yes it seems they offer little advantage if any at all, but the rules are clear.

If a rule is stupid, the proper action to take is to contact the people in charge of said rule, and convince them to change it.

There are multiple photos of her wearing it.

FWIW I think Faulkner has handled it well, shes got a DSQ lets move on. I enjoyed her last season in the Tour de Suisse and Giro so hoping so see more of her this season.

Except that the monitor was not connected to a phone app and so there was no data. Once that was determined the UCI then found another provision in their rules to disqualify Faulkner - I have an idea - Assuming these monitors are so easy to detect why aren't the commissionars checking each rider before a race to see if they wearing a monitor.

From what I understand, part of the issue was that

1: She had not originally been scheduled to race.
2: She had - obviously - already put it in, and they're quite hard to remove/can't really be reinserted.
I am going to be confused as if there was a monitoring app running on her head unit on her bike.. or being monitored by team car..think it's all kind of petty.. I see it this way... It's just plastic piece unless you are using it to get some kind of bio feedback during the race..

Help me out here
People "helped you out" with their answers about 4 weeks before you asked the question.
Stage 3 doesn't look too hard, I think it's mainly down to the final 500m. Hills on stage 5 look very short.

Very underwhelming route
This looks dangerously close to being a one-day race for the GC. Replacing the TT with a second sprint opportunity (the last thing Itzulia should be about) is especially horrible.