• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 564 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Actually, they are wasting time selecting a domestique in Hoole - You need three riders who have a chance to win. Ideally, two with a strong chance and one with a minor chance. It was a no-brainer to take Kooij.

No, that wouldn't make sense. They have the biggest favourite, they need someone who can control it for a while. Then Mathieu can take matters into his own hands.

I'm with yaco. This isn't a Giro stage where the break is 4 second tier riders and the peloton has multiple top tier domestiques to keep them in check. The break (or breaks) will be large, with multiple potential winners but, great, Daan Hoole will chase everyone down for 250km.
Their women's team has 4 riders and they didn't bother wasting a spot.

I'm with yaco. This isn't a Giro stage where the break is 4 second tier riders and the peloton has multiple top tier domestiques to keep them in check. The break (or breaks) will be large, with multiple potential winners but, great, Daan Hoole will chase everyone down for 250km.
Their women's team has 4 riders and they didn't bother wasting a spot.
The women's team has Ellen van Dijk who could probably do the job for the men as well if needed.

That he's capable to get in the break, doesn't mean it will happen. In case it doesn't happen it's good to have someone like Hoole on the the team.
As a person who watches a bunch of bike racing, the statement that MvdP can't force a breakaway is incorrect. In current professional bike racing he is one of a few riders that can cause, create a separation on flat ground if he wants to.. Can it be sustained. Different subject, but through speed and power, pain threshold, he can cause a break.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
As a person who watches a bunch of bike racing, the statement that MvdP can't force a breakaway is incorrect. In current professional bike racing he is one of a few riders that can cause, create a separation on flat ground if he wants to.. Can it be sustained. Different subject, but through speed and power, pain threshold, he can cause a break.

I think I'll preface all my messages with 'As a person who watches a bunch of bike racing' henceforth.

It's good for people to be able to distinguish between those posters who do watch cycling and those who don't here on the Cyclingnews forum.

I think I'll preface all my messages with 'As a person who watches a bunch of bike racing' henceforth.

It's good for people to be able to distinguish between those posters who do watch cycling and those who don't here on the Cyclingnews forum.
You know what I mean ( lol)!! This year you see a physiological difference in Pogacar and typically in Van der Poel..if either guy puts in a 100% -110% effort few can hold their wheel and after going deep into some deficit that KO other racers they sit down and recover. If there was professional wood fired pizza eating, I would be a dominant force.. One of my idols!!

Something interesting I saw on PCS for the CdD stage today. Pogacar is dominating points and prize money.

Most prizemoney scored by rider this season.
# RIDER AMOUNT
1 POGAČAR Tadej
2 MARTÍNEZ Daniel Felipe
3 MERLIER Tim
4 MILAN Jonathan
5 VAN DER POEL Mathieu
6 THOMAS Geraint
7 KOPECKY Lotte
8 PHILIPSEN Jasper
9 PEDERSEN Mads
10 VOLLERING Demi
11 O'CONNOR Ben
12 WIEBES Lorena
13 VOS Marianne
14 VAN EETVELT Lennert
15 LONGO BORGHINI Elisa
16 TIBERI Antonio
17 COSNEFROY Benoît
18 EVENEPOEL Remco
19 MCNULTY Brandon
20 AYUSO Juan
21 VINGEGAARD Jonas
22 ALAPHILIPPE Julian
23 KOOIJ Olav
24 BENNETT Sam
25 JORGENSON Matteo

Reactions: Sandisfan
Lady cap thrower at Paris-Roubaix is given options ... (I suppose they could n't do a Seinfeld and make her MvdP's maid or something ... :rolleyes:)
https://cyclinguptodate.com/cycling...ither-meet-three-conditions-or-face-a-lawsuit
The union wants her to acknowledge that she threw a hat at Van der Poel. ... In addition, the woman must join 'Les Amis de Paris-Roubaix' as a volunteer ... the riders' union wants [the] woman to be involved in a new campaign on safety that will be broadcast to the international cycling public. In that case, the woman also has to show her face and will therefore be extra in the spotlight.
Do these 3 things or face a lawsuit ... shall we have a poll?

Original article at https://wielerrevue.nl/artikel/6083...ervolgd-maar-er-zijn-drie-strenge-voorwaarden

Lady cap thrower at Paris-Roubaix is given options ... (I suppose they could n't do a Seinfeld and make her MvdP's maid or something ... :rolleyes:)
https://cyclinguptodate.com/cycling...ither-meet-three-conditions-or-face-a-lawsuit

Do these 3 things or face a lawsuit ... shall we have a poll?

Original article at https://wielerrevue.nl/artikel/6083...ervolgd-maar-er-zijn-drie-strenge-voorwaarden
I’m sure giving her even more of a spotlight will make sure nobody ever tries it again.

Whatever.

As soon as a person attends a bike race and does more than sit idly by the roadside, they seem to be idiots in your estimation.

You can stand still, off the tarnac, and cheer for the riders.
Unfortunately, some spectators seem to think they are the important ones.

But I suppose if you waste several hours of your life, standing by a roadside, while missing most of the action in the race you're supposedly "watching", drinking a few too many beers, you might get a little drunk by the time your reason to be at the location finally arrives...

I was watching Heylen Vastgoed Heistse Pijl and this giant dude went off the front w a Visma rider, the two were working great together, didn't have luck .
The rider in some green kit was 2 meters something tall and an absolute beast, really strong, freakish. What was weird was he had the position I thought was outlawed, bars were about @34 w flaring and his seatpost was triathlon.. and stem was @120 -130 with a massive extension like a crazy mountain bike stem from the 1980s..
I have not seen that position before in a mass start race and it was if he had the narrowest bars I can remember. Because he was absorbed before the end didn't get to see what it looked like when he sprints..

I think the guy's name is Van Schip
Jan Willem van Schip. Currently rides for Park Hotel Valkenberg but in the past rode at pro conti level with Roompot, while also being an endurance track rider mainly in the madison I think. In the past he's had other handlebars to put him in an aerodynamic position but they've been banned and he was disqualified from the Tour of Belgium for using them. The current ones he has circumvent the uci's minimum bar width by the bottom of the drops being 35mm but they flare out to this from where the hoods are, which is around 32mm. Interestingly after Heiste Pijl he was disqualified (potentially for the bars) while another rider with the same bars but in a different conti team won a stage in the Tour of Malopolska in the same day.