• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 62 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
auscyclefan94 said:
Well I think he could get some form up at down under and then have a good shot at some stages in Oman & Qatar. BMC now have some guys that will be able to give him a proper leadout. If i was a pro, it would be more beneficial to be racing instead of training in miserable weather.

Ya, and as a sprinter it's not too horrible to have lots of races since you can often take it fairly easy on thougher stages. It's not like there are any huge mountains to climb in most of those races.

Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
according to belgian media (including the paper Het nieuwsblad, who are usually well informed) quickstep will make a statement today regarding the future of the team.

They will announce that zdenek bakla (a czech multimillionaire) has bought himself in into quickstep and has by this insured the future of the team until at least 2013.

It would also explain why zdenek stybar is such a big target for quickstep

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Four Portugese teams in 2011: Barbot-Efapel (ex-Siper Barbot), CC Tavira (ex-Palmeiras Resort-Prio), LA - Rota dos Moveis and Onda (ex-Madeinox Boavista). In 2006, there were 10 teams in number. :(

Didn't see this posted anywhere else in this thread and it is a bit old news but:

Saur-Sojasun to ride Time bikes in 2011

Also Vacansoleil Ridley:
76715_10150092382170792_714685791_7831291_5383187_n.jpg

Devolders Ridley Helium
76715_10150092382175792_714685791_7831292_4194828_n.jpg

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
new Katusha team bike

KatushaTeamBike.jpg

Here’s a sneak peak at the beautiful new Focus Izalco that Pippo Pozzato and Team Katusha will be riding in 2011. I don’t know about you, but I hope they make it available to the public! Notice the co-sponsors–it looks like SRAM’s bagged another Pro Tour squad!

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
DAOTEC said:
Cameron Meyer just elected Aussie rider of the year :confused:

pic21_600.jpg

evans was 'road' rider of the year tho, 5th year in a row i believe.
Meyer certainly got the award for his track performance. he also got track rider of the year.

1st F-W
3rd Tirreno
5th Giro
yellow jersey holder.

vs

Road TT National Champ
Multiple 1st places at World champs and Commonwealth Games (Although I think the road race is useless at the com. games, track is a little more significant with GBR providing heavy competition).

I'm biased towards road, but I still appreciate cam had a good year, although I'm still very unconvinced he will be big on the road. That being said he still focuses a lot on track.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
evans was 'road' rider of the year tho, 5th year in a row i believe.
Meyer certainly got the award for his track performance. he also got track rider of the year.

1st F-W
3rd Tirreno
5th Giro
yellow jersey holder.

vs

Road TT National Champ
Multiple 1st places at World champs and Commonwealth Games (Although I think the road race is useless at the com. games, track is a little more significant with GBR providing heavy competition).

I'm biased towards road, but I still appreciate cam had a good year, although I'm still very unconvinced he will be big on the road. That being said he still focuses a lot on track.

Have to agree and you have even missed some results. Though the track at the comm games has less competition than on the road imo. And about Cam's future, he made a comment on Bike Shorts that he would like to become a rider like Brad Wiggins or Michael Rogers. He was talking about just making the transition from the track to the road but I personally think that he is interested in becoming a guy who rides for overall in stage races and grand tours. I personally see a lot more in Bobridge than I do in Cam. Bobridge imo could become a cobbled classics rider and I personally think he will do very well.

btw, i met the australian road rider of the year today.:):):):)

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Have to agree and you have even missed some results. Though the track at the comm games has less competition than on the road imo. And about Cam's future, he made a comment on Bike Shorts that he would like to become a rider like Brad Wiggins or Michael Rogers. He was talking about just making the transition from the track to the road but I personally think that he is interested in becoming a guy who rides for overall in stage races and grand tours. I personally see a lot more in Bobridge than I do in Cam. Bobridge imo could become a cobbled classics rider and I personally think he will do very well.

btw, i met the australian road rider of the year today.:):):):)

wow, sounds as a very good day for you!!

But to be honest: If Meyer wants to be like Wiggins and Rogers, road racing must be way bigger then track... If a multiple world champion wants to be a like an average weeklong stage racer or a guy who on a good day can win a TT if the best TT'ist in the world are not their, then track medals aren't that high valued...

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Ben Gastauer (LUX/AG2R) will ride his first GT next year, the Giro; after having tackled Pais Basque and FW/AGR/LBL, among other things:

17-23 janvier : Tour de San Luis (Arg/cat 2.1)
9-13 février : Tour Méditerranéen (Fra/cat 2.1)
19-20 février : Tour du Haut-Var (Fra/cat 2.1)
26 février : GP Dell'Insubria-Lugano (Sui/cat 1.1)
27 février : Gp de Lugano (Sui/cat 1.1)
2 mars : Grand Prix Samyn (Bel/cat 1.1)
4-6 mars : Trois Jours de Flandre Occidentale (Bel/cat 2.1)
20 mars : Cholet - Pays de Loire (Fra/cat 1.1)
23 mars : À travers la Flandre (Bel/cat 1.1)
26 mars : GP E3 (Bel/1. HC)
2 avril : GP Indurain (Esp/cat 1.1)
4-9 avril : Tour du Pays basque (Esp/Pro Tour)
17 avril : Amstel Gold Race (PBS/Pro Tour)
20 avril : Flèche wallonne (Bel/Pro Tour)
24 avril : Liège-Bastogne-Liège (Bel/Pro Tour)
7-29 mai : Tour d'Italie

http://www.lequotidien.lu/les-sports/17869.html

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
No surprise tonight in the crowning of Luxembourg's sportsman of the year: Andy Schleck took the title with 477 votes, Fränk Schleck came in second with 247 votes, while Laurent Carnol (swimming) got third with 182 votes.

Women:

1. Marie Muller (Judo): 378 votes
2. Mandy Minella (Tennis): 353 votes
3. Ni Xia Lian (Table Tennis): 212 votes

http://www.wort.lu/wort/web/sport/artikel/2010/12/130274/xxx-ist-sportler-des-jahres.php

Since 2003, cyclists have dominated the vote: Kim Kirchen has won 5 times, Fränk Schleck once and now Andy Schleck twice. Junior ITT world champion Bob Jungels got the "Prix du jeune espoir", while the Organizers of the Tour de Luxembourg received a "Prix d'honneur"

TRENDING THREADS