• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 459 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Something different for a change. It seems that the dictator of Turkmenistan really loves cycling. At least he held a parade in the capital around a bicycle sculpture with a fancy bike-themed pop song being performed ;) But enjoy yourself:

The 2021 track cycling world championships will be held in Ashgabat so maybe that celebration has something to do with that.

That was the proposal made by the italian federation at the beginning of may when other federations started to postpone national championships due to the sport events and crowds limitations in many countries but UCI don't want to move the national championships weekend so Sanremo will likely be the 15th in the spot left vacant by London-Surrey Classic.
Latest change in calendar:

1st August: Strade Bianche
5th August: Milano - Torino
8th August: Milano - Sanremo
12th August: Gran Piemonte
15th August: Lombardia

This makes a lot of sense: Sanremo requires closing large portions of the Aurelia, which doesn't look like a great idea on the 15th of August. Lombardia should be more managable.

Reactions: Mayomaniac
Flanders Classics changing some parts of the courses of their races. There won't be a Muur this year and the Ronde.

Can you tell more? Or link something? :blush:

Lombardia / Dauphiné is not great, but I suppose the Giro riders will now use it for preparation and can stay in Italy the whole time? At the end of october most of the skinny climbers would probably not have ridden Lombardia anyway. :p

Hamburg seems to be on, to my surprise, and if it happens I think I might visit.

By the way, I wanted to have a discussion about which companies can benefit the most from sponsoring cycling and thought there probably was already a thread, but I could not find a definite one. Does anyone from the more experienced users or mods know one that I should use?

Last edited:
Can you tell more? Or link something? :blush:
https://sporza.be/nl/2020/06/12/dit...ders-classics-wijzigt-parcours~1591978781483/

Brabanste Pijl, Gent-Wevelgem, Scheldeprijs and the Ronde will be shortened this year to make sure riders will have enough rest during the busy schedule. After the first ascent of the Oude Kwaremont in the Ronde, the riders won't go to Tenbosse and the Muur, but instead they will go to the Valkenberg. The total distance of this years Ronde will be 241km, about 30 km less than last year.

You would expect a greater focus in the future on Spanish riders or those from Spanish speaking countries, though this may have to wait to 2022 - In saying that the team should be chasing Cortina.

From the sounds of it (from Spanish articles and a few people who know the organization in Spain) it sounds like the changes will start slowly in signings for 2021, but the bigger changes will start with 2022 and after.

I suspect if they keep the women's team there will be less changes with it.

Last edited:
From the sounds of it (from Spanish articles and a few people who know the organization in Spain) it sounds like the changes will start slowly in signings for 2021, but the bigger changes will start with 2022 and after. Also found out they currently have a Spanish U-23 team, so they could start pulling riders from that team.

I suspect if they keep the women's team there will be less changes with it.

They are definitely keeping the women's team - MS women's team is in the top 3 teams in the world - Anyway it's great to see another Spanish Tour in the WT.

Reactions: claude cat
They are definitely keeping the women's team - MS women's team is in the top 3 teams in the world - Anyway it's great to see another Spanish Tour in the WT.

True, and it would be dumb to eliminate that team. I don't think they will do much to make it more "Spanish" other than maybe try to to add 1 or 2 Spanish cyclists to it, but I suspect for the most part that team will be left alone.
I agree it's nice to see another Spanish WT team. My friends over there seem to be very excited that they will have a second WT team.

Latest change in calendar:

1st August: Strade Bianche
5th August: Milano - Torino
8th August: Milano - Sanremo
12th August: Gran Piemonte
15th August: Lombardia

This makes a lot of sense: Sanremo requires closing large portions of the Aurelia, which doesn't look like a great idea on the 15th of August. Lombardia should be more managable.
I like this, this plus Tirreno-Adriatico from the 7th to the 14th of September seems like a nice block of racing in Italy.

True, and it would be dumb to eliminate that team. I don't think they will do much to make it more "Spanish" other than maybe try to to add 1 or 2 Spanish cyclists to it, but I suspect for the most part that team will be left alone.
I agree it's nice to see another Spanish WT team. My friends over there seem to be very excited that they will have a second WT team.

MS has strong Spanish roots - A couple of backroom staff are Spanish while Matt White has lived in Spain for 15 years while most of the team live in Spain and Andorra - I'll be interested to see their new budget.

TRENDING THREADS