• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 490 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I don't think having the Worlds in August is a problem, historically Worlds were placed in the second half of August until the 1995 calendar reshaping so it's almost a return to the original slot. The problem is fitting every single discipline in the span of 10 days, a pacing even worse than Olympics with more disciplines in less days (and Olympics are already really cramped) that basically prevent multidisciplinary riders from riding more than one or two events.

Historically, MSR and De Ronde were held on the same day, that doesn't mean it was a good thing.

Reactions: Sciatic
I don't think having the Worlds in August is a problem, historically Worlds were placed in the second half of August until the 1995 calendar reshaping so it's almost a return to the original slot. The problem is fitting every single discipline in the span of 10 days, a pacing even worse than Olympics with more disciplines in less days (and Olympics are already really cramped) that basically prevent multidisciplinary riders from riding more than one or two events.

I'm not sure it would be that much of a problem (other than riders having to train for multiple events). Track and CX for example could probably overlap without any issues. Same with any para-discipline with any able-bodied-discipline. Cyclo-ball and Cyclo-dance* probably aren't gonna cause issues with any of the more racing-based disciplines either.

*I know that's not the technical term!

Historically, MSR and De Ronde were held on the same day, that doesn't mean it was a good thing.
That was totally irrelevant because Ronde was just a local race in the 20s/30s when happened. And anyway there won't be any clash, they are giving to the Worlds the slot that this year is reserved for the Euros that probably will instead take the usual Worlds slot, the real problem is having all the other disciplines held in the same 10 days.

I'm not sure it would be that much of a problem (other than riders having to train for multiple events). Track and CX for example could probably overlap without any issues. Same with any para-discipline with any able-bodied-discipline. Cyclo-ball and Cyclo-dance* probably aren't gonna cause issues with any of the more racing-based disciplines either.

*I know that's not the technical term!
Do you really think that someone like Ganna could ride RR, ITT, IP and TP in ten days? Or someone like Pidcock RR, CX and XCO? Or someone like Hayter RR, ITT, TP, Omnium and Madison? They'll be forced to pick one or two maximum.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I was thinking more how it would effect other races; including the fall Italian races if fewer folks haven’t focused on being in top form for worlds as they typically would for a Sept or Oct worlds.

• Sad
Reactions: Red Rick
According to La Repubblica the Tour de France of 2024 will start in Firenze. Time to give the design of this edition into the hands of the course designer of Firenze 2013 and inventor of Strade Bianche. :imp:

For the first time since 1994, next year's World Championships will be held in August. The Glasgow road race will be held on August 13. The last time it was held so early was in 1972.
Also, it will be the first world championship since 1994, which again combines road and track. In addition, there will be cross country and a few other disciplines. Such a major world championship will be held every four years in the pre-Olympic season, starting next year.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
He was about the leave Movistar after that season. So I don't know for sure, who trolled who. o_O

I just think I remember some talk about whether Valverde didn't help Rodriguez (his teammate-for-the-day) because he didn't want to chase Costa (his usual teammate).
Looks like either way, Costa trolled, and Rodriguez got trolled. Valverde might even have trolled himself!

Reactions: Max Rockatansky
According to La Repubblica the Tour de France of 2024 will start in Firenze. Time to give the design of this edition into the hands of the course designer of Firenze 2013 and inventor of Strade Bianche. :imp:

For the first time since 1994, next year's World Championships will be held in August. The Glasgow road race will be held on August 13. The last time it was held so early was in 1972.
Also, it will be the first world championship since 1994, which again combines road and track. In addition, there will be cross country and a few other disciplines. Such a major world championship will be held every four years in the pre-Olympic season, starting next year.

I would love Firenze. I can get no Fauniera twice in a year.

When last year Prudhomme went there they proposed this stages:
*Firenze-Rimini
*Cesena-Bologna
*Modena-Piacenza
*Pinerolo-?

The organizing committee are the mayors of the cities that wants publicity so expect only landscapes with the race in the background.

When last year Prudhomme went there they proposed this stages:
*Firenze-Rimini
*Cesena-Bologna
*Modena-Piacenza
*Pinerolo-?

The organizing committee are the mayors of the cities that wants publicity so expect only landscapes with the race in the background.
There are some beautiful towns in that area, but the landscape between Rimini and Piacenza is the most dull of the whole country.

Reactions: Monte Serra
Would ASO even agree to a transfer from Piacenza to Pinerolo though?
To be fair I don't even know how much credible is this whole thing, just to make a resume of what I know: it's like 15 years that there is a push from Florence (they wanted the 2014 Grand Depart to celebrate Bartali's 100th birthday) but no one would pay the asked money (theoretically they easily could, before COVID the income of Comune di Firenze was around a billion, they could even pay to have the whole Tour doing loops around the city, but it's considered a waste of public money and general opinion would go mad) then some 4/5 years ago they took on board Bologna for 2022 but still would be too much and so they recruited other cities and the regional governments of Emilia and Toscana, this way they could get enough money from the sum every administration has allocated for touristic promotion and on paper is doable but that way there is no sport interest behind, it's just an attempt to have a giant advertising for tourist reasons, even more now that the pandemic has hit really hard tourism. Anyway a couple of year ago the mayor of Florence flew to ASO's headquarters in Paris for a meeting and last year Prudhomme flew to Bologna where they proposed to him the plan I mentioned above, nothing more come out and at the time I thought "after seeing three flat stages Prudhomme laughed and went away".

I really don't know why that story suddenly came out on national news now, I can see it working only with something like:
*Firenze-Firenze ITT
*Rimini-Bologna (San Luca)
*Cesena-Modena (hilly, using lower Appennines)
*Piacenza-Pinerolo (flat)
*Straight into the Alps (?), maybe with Massif on the second week and Pyrenees in the third

That will follow ASO's recent canvas to have early action, not three bunch sprints, but organizers would like?

Reactions: Devil's Elbow
Pais Vasco route is out.

FLJ3B11WUAQf4K-

FLJ3CwZXMAQuoxC

FLJ3DfRX0AcTmf5

FLJ3D8LXEAMjcbK

FLJ3VO4XMAcvbqu

FLJ3V3cXsAMMQxF

Critérium du Dauphiné 2022 with stages for sprinters. :hushed::hushed::hushed:

t6vd.jpg

cuxa.jpg

fr39.jpg