• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 573 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Anyone planning on following Tour of Poland and have any favorites for overall and today's first stage?

Eeh... due to some miracle (Danish TV paying some money I'd guess) it's actually gonna be shown live in Denmark.
However, I think they finish quite early, so I might not get home from work before they're done, and I'm definitely gonna prioritise the Tour anyway.
As for favourites: Who knows?

A cycling race has been shortened and rerouted due to Wales' 20mph default speed limit, organisers have said.

Three of the five stages of the Junior Tour of Wales, which starts on Friday, have been changed as support vehicles would not be able to keep up with the riders without speeding.

The race's finish has also been moved from Nantgaredig, Carmarthenshire, the home of three-time Olympic cycling medallist Emma Finucane.

The Welsh government said it had worked with organisers to make sure the race could go ahead safely.

"Even though there was only seven miles of 20mph across the whole 237-mile, four-day race, and even then split into a number of very short sections, we couldn't guarantee to manage all of them safely."

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
No Wiebes for the Worlds:
https://www.knwu.nl/nieuws/sterke-n...ite-vrouwen-en-junioren-naar-wk-weg-in-zurich
Selectie Elite vrouwen

Demi Vollering
Puck Pieterse
Marianne Vos
Riejanne Markus
Pauliena Rooijakkers
Shirin van Anrooij
Mischa Bredewold

Tijdrit

Demi Vollering
Ellen van Dijk / Riejanne Markus*

Is the course that hard that Wiebes would have no chance to win?
https://www.procyclingstats.com/ima...ionship-we-2024-result-profile-9933ef7f6c.jpg

It should be too hard for Wiebes, yes. They will presumably ride for at the EC in Belgium, which suits her a lot better.

Reactions: JR1012
The men's ITT of the Zürich World Championships is now confirmed to start on the Rennbahn Oerlikon

Capture-de%CC%81cran-2022-07-19-a%CC%80-08.48.07.jpg

No Wiebes for the Worlds:
https://www.knwu.nl/nieuws/sterke-n...ite-vrouwen-en-junioren-naar-wk-weg-in-zurich
Selectie Elite vrouwen

Demi Vollering
Puck Pieterse
Marianne Vos
Riejanne Markus
Pauliena Rooijakkers
Shirin van Anrooij
Mischa Bredewold

Tijdrit

Demi Vollering
Ellen van Dijk / Riejanne Markus*

Is the course that hard that Wiebes would have no chance to win?
https://www.procyclingstats.com/ima...ionship-we-2024-result-profile-9933ef7f6c.jpg
There's probably a reason Bredewold is the only (other) SD Worx rider on the team if they're backing Vollering.

Reactions: Monte Serra
No Civiglio in Il Lombardia

But no evidence that the routes currently shown in Tweets are anything other than "Well I guess this is an option in that case"

Edit: I see now that the newspaper article is three weeks old, so old news, but some Twitter activity over a La Flamme Rouge prediction last night:
GWVAmktWcAAaPTE

Last edited:
  • Wow
How is that better than the one in Armchair's tweet?

No climbing after Ghisallo seems too little for this race.
Yeah that race would just be a Pogacar 40km solo, but it is a shame not to have the Muro in the race and a triple ascent of San Fermo di Battaglia is quite boring.

Honestly, best option might be same route as normal but with no Civiglio. San Fermo isn't hard enough to wait for, but is hard enough for a final move, so there might still be action from Sormano and definitely from the Madonna del Ghisallo.

Sad news about Civiglio, but at least it's not a organiser choice and will be back once the road is clear.

How is that better than the one in Armchair's tweet?

No climbing after Ghisallo seems too little for this race.
1) it means it's firmly a climber's race rather than being closer to an Ardennes one, as Lombardia should be
2) it makes the finale about four times as long
3) there are actually some decent kickers after Ghisallo - that first hill is 850 metres at 9%
4) with a start in Bergamo, you can include more climbing before Ghisallo/Sormano/Ghisallo than in the profile

Of course, Pogacar is heavily favoured on any possible Lombardia route, but that doesn't mean you should go for 2014 levels of lame route.

1) it means it's firmly a climber's race rather than being closer to an Ardennes one, as Lombardia should be
2) it makes the finale about four times as long
3) there are actually some decent kickers after Ghisallo - that first hill is 850 metres at 9%
4) with a start in Bergamo, you can include more climbing before Ghisallo/Sormano/Ghisallo than in the profile

Of course, Pogacar is heavily favoured on any possible Lombardia route, but that doesn't mean you should go for 2014 levels of lame route.
You're right, sometimes my brain still lives in the early 2010s where such a route was much more likely to be a disaster than these days.

I still don't love it, though, because, yes, the finale would be long but if it's just an 80k Pog solo, then long does not equal exciting.

Reactions: Brullnux