• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 140 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
ramjambunath said:
TTT went as expected.
I read it in two different articles, the organisers have been very lax about disseminating information and the media in covering it. I've been trying to get a course profile for 2 days now. If it is flat it would be dumb because Eritrea have decent puncheurs and climbers and good hills.

Cycling organisers making dumb decisions... That must be a first. :p
It's frustrating with the lack of coverage African cycling gets, but for last year's championship I could at least find a profile. I don't remember where it was (and it probably only was a description of the route I then had to plot myself), but it was something.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Eritrea isn't known for being media-friendly so lack of info coming out is no surprise. And Patty has more important things to worry about whilst he's being wined and dined. Isn't where they racing at very high-altitude? That will have an effect on the racing even if the course is flat.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't bemoaning the lack of info from international media and I really can't for reasons that belong in the politics thread. At least the govt media could have released some tangible information instead of having 2 lines to describe a course in the middle of a different article. There was nothing about the altitude, so it's only flat as of now.

In any case, we're at least able to follow the race somewhat close to real-time, even if it's only a few lines on a website or a couple of tweets from a South African staff member.
A generation ago it would have taken days, if not weeks, to get a result list. If at all.
Sometimes it's good to remember the amount of possibilities we have today.

Asmara is at some 2300 m, so yes, the altitude will play a role. On the other hand, for all I know the last couple of African championships have always been a battle of attrition, with the winner coming in solo or in a very little group. It's just how racing is down there (and it would be awesome to follow on TV...), and this year probably won't be much different.
Kigali (2010) and Windhoek (2009) are at 1400-1800 m as well, but I've never done any cycling at altitude myself, so I don't know whether the difference between 1800 m and 2300 m is as significant as everyone says.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Fus087 said:
In any case, we're at least able to follow the race somewhat close to real-time, even if it's only a few lines on a website or a couple of tweets from a South African staff member.
A generation ago it would have taken days, if not weeks, to get a result list. If at all.
Sometimes it's good to remember the amount of possibilities we have today.

Asmara is at some 2300 m, so yes, the altitude will play a role. On the other hand, for all I know the last couple of African championships have always been a battle of attrition, with the winner coming in solo or in a very little group. It's just how racing is down there (and it would be awesome to follow on TV...), and this year probably won't be much different.
Kigali (2010) and Windhoek (2009) are at 1400-1800 m as well, but I've never done any cycling at altitude myself, so I don't know whether the difference between 1800 m and 2300 m is as significant as everyone says.

I agree that something's better than nothing but if the UCI really wants to globalise these events have to be promoted as they have a sense of belonging as it's a country against country battle.

Many races in Asia and Africa are like that. Small fragmented groups from start to end. The highlights can be brilliant. The race will hopefully be on youtube in a few days. Tour du Faso stages have 20-30 views each.:D

The Hitch said:
Didnt ONCE leave cycling because they had got the maximum they could out of it?

i don't think they will be back but maybe there is hope for a u-23 team backed by them and manolo will be their man.
manolo saiz brought to the world a lot of stars,the other ds's fished them all and sent manolo to the thrash.just because the old man did it in the old ways,didn't know shiit about changing phones and choosing people of trust to do some of his things.but he was a brilliant directeur sportif no doubt.vuelta 2005 was a masterpiece

ramjambunath said:
I agree that something's better than nothing but if the UCI really wants to globalise these events have to be promoted as they have a sense of belonging as it's a country against country battle.

I never believed that fully.
And after seing Mengis disqualified in the Worlds ITT for essentially not having the funds for a new bike, I'm convinced they don't want to globalise.
They want to spread to places with money. And even there they just bring over a bunch of Europeans to race, not promoting the local scene.
Events that bring together the local scene and European teams are left out there to die again, even when they suck up to the powers that be. :mad:

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
It's a culture of promoting Leopard Treks and suffocating FDJs in both teams and races, there are some serious races in Africa (La tropicale Amissa Bongo has been won by riders from FDJ and Europcar/Bouygues telecom only) and these are the races which need to be propped up not races which have proper sponsorships a la Tour of California. Its not just the UCI that's to blame here but also the ASO which runs one of the bigger races in Africa, the Tour du Faso, yet the race doesn't seem to require a website at all but the bull**** races like Qatar (while it was decent this year, is still generally crap) and Oman are on their main site.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Fus087 said:
I never believed that fully.
And after seing Mengis disqualified in the Worlds ITT for essentially not having the funds for a new bike, I'm convinced they don't want to globalise.
They want to spread to places with money. And even there they just bring over a bunch of Europeans to race, not promoting the local scene.
Events that bring together the local scene and European teams are left out there to die again, even when they suck up to the powers that be. :mad:

And it's not just the UCI, the 'holy' ASO also does the same by giving importance to races like Qatar and Oman ahead of a much older race which they organise in Africa- The Tour du Faso. There's no mention of it in their website since 2008 as far as I can see and makes me wonder if they even organise it anymore.

TTT Times still not out.

Lupetto said:
Looks like Contador will do San Luis next year. And it looks like Christina Watches will be there, too. So everything is ready for a Tour 2007 revenge between Contador and Rasmussen. :D

http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=44803

looks like it will be a strong start of the season.how much money those argentinians have?caja rural with andre cardoso,tavira with mestre,serpa who always peaks in the first 4 months of the year.
this year's was great too with tondo :(,serpa and arriagada.

how many of you think that contador goes there for the win?:p

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
looks like it will be a strong start of the season.how much money those argentinians have?caja rural with andre cardoso,tavira with mestre,serpa who always peaks in the first 4 months of the year.
this year's was great too with tondo :(,serpa and arriagada.

how many of you think that contador goes there for the win?:p

I do, he always races FTW

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Highlights of the African Continental Championships TTT (35 minutes)
http://tesfanews.net/archives/4985

Only 10 minutes of highlights. Some very large crowds there.

One of the South African staff (I think Barry Austin) said that they didn't take into consideration the altitude and that was the difference between them and Eritrea. If we take that at face value, will it change their altitude preparedness for tomorrow relative to Eritrea in the ITT or in the RR later.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Argentina is "famous" for its big animal farms. All the meat you eat at Macdonalds, etc comes from Argentina because its low quality and cheap. The big landowners basically bought all the land where the caddle grazes for nothing because they bought it of small farmers who did all the work for them like cutting the woods, etc.

Wouldn't be surprised if anyone who goes to Mcdonalds and is tested, would test positive for Clenbuterol and the likes.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
TTT times are up now

Eritrea 0:42:44.52
Natnael Berhane (Eri)
Freqalsi Debessay (Eri)
Daniel Teklehaymanot (Eri)
Jani Tewelde Weldegaber (Eri)

South Africa 0:01:25.50
Herman Fouche (RSA)
Reinardt Janse Van Rensburg (RSA)
Louis Meintjes (RSA)
Jacobus Venter (RSA)

Morocco 0:01:33.13
Reda Aadel (Mar)
Adil Jelloul (Mar)
Mouhcine Lahsaini (Mar)
Abdelati Saadoune (Mar)

Algeria 0:02:09.44
Abdelbaset Hannachi (Alg)
Abderrahman Bourezza (Alg)
Azzadine Lagab (Alg)
Abdelmalek Madani (Alg)

Egypt 0:03:34.48
Alsayed Ali (Egy)
Osama Asran (Egy)
Ahmed Mahmoud (Egy)
Add Alla Mohamed Mohamed Sherif (Egy)

Rwanda 0:05:38.13
Joseph Biziyaremye (Rwa)
Nathan Byukusenge (Rwa)
Nicodem Habiyambere (Rwa)
Gasore Hategeka (Rwa)

Tanzania 0:08:54.03
John Kitivei (Tan)
Richard Laningo (Tan)
Hamisi Mkona (Tan)
Juma Sato (Tan)

Ivory Coast 0:09:08.53
Issiaka Cisse (CIv)
Issiaka Fofana (CIv)
Bassirou Kante (CIv)
Koume Lokossue (CIv)

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Argentina is "famous" for its big animal farms. All the meat you eat at Macdonalds, etc comes from Argentina because its low quality and cheap. The big landowners basically bought all the land where the caddle grazes for nothing because they bought it of small farmers who did all the work for them like cutting the woods, etc.

Wouldn't be surprised if anyone who goes to Mcdonalds and is tested, would test positive for Clenbuterol and the likes.

ya that why people who eat Mcdonalds alot have reduced fat and increased muscle mass :p

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
El Pistolero said:

Did you hear about the U17 football world cup in Mexico, where half of the players tested positive for clenbuterol?

TRENDING THREADS