• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 179 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
auscyclefan94 said:
Yep, BMC have confirmed it to me that he is along with Taylor Phinney!

I'd imagine that the team for the Giro would be

Ballan
Pinotti
Phinney
Hushovd
Santambrogio
Santaromita
Tschopp
Blythe
Wyss
Hushovd will probably leave the race when they leave Denmark. Like he did in ToC last year, another race he was forced to race against his will.

Didn't expect BMC to act so unprofessional, I thought such behaviour was entitled to teams like Katusha...

maltiv said:
I have no idea, but that might be the plan. Giro-Tour has never worked particularly well for him before. Obviously it makes sense though that he starts the Giro when it it's in Denmark (will probably increase the amount of Norwegian spectators by 30000 or so) but sending him against his will is just ridiculous. A rider like Hushovd should be able to choose his own schedule.
Well, maybe not choose it, but at least know about it ;)

Sounds very American, BTW. "Hey, the Giro starts in Scandinavia, we have someone from Scandinavia on our team!" Not even Breschel will ride the Giro...

El Pistolero said:
Funny how you can have a great field with only Spanish climbers present :D

If Contador doesn't get banned he'll win Tirreno-Adriatico, Catalunya and Pais Vasco. This is the reason why Riis suggest Contador to start his season in San Luis, to be really sharp by March-April. He'll probably enter some Ardennes classics as well in good shape.

Didn't contador already say he was not doing classics?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Didn't contador already say he was not doing classics?

He already revealed his full calendar until the Tour. I don't remember it exactly, but I remember noticing there were no classics.

That said, his calendar changed in mid-march last season, so it may change again.

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
maltiv said:
Hushovd will probably leave the race when they leave Denmark. Like he did in ToC last year, another race he was forced to race against his will.

Or maybe they have a plan? A good prologue by Thor, finish with the bunch the next 2 stages. Then nail it in the TTT, and you have the man in pink for the next 8 stages.

The same sceneario could happen with Phinney, but now they have 2 opportunities.

Justin Pain said:
Or maybe they have a plan? A good prologue by Thor, finish with the bunch the next 2 stages. Then nail it in the TTT, and you have the man in pink for the next 8 stages.

The same sceneario could happen with Phinney, but now they have 2 opportunities.

Cav is likely to get at least 20 if not 24 28 or 40 from bonuses. Thor can maybe get 30 in the prologue but do you see bmc beating sky?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
I'm surprised BMC isn't doing the Tour of Norway. But I agree, a rider of Hushovd's standing does deserve to have a say in what he races.
Thor said in his interview at the training camp that he would sit down with Lelangue and discuss if he is actually doing the giro or not. His exact schedule is not known after Roubaix so it isn't really a certainty that he is doing il Giro.

The Hitch said:
Cav is likely to get at least 20 if not 24 28 or 40 from bonuses. Thor can maybe get 30 in the prologue but do you see bmc beating sky?
Sky probably won't send a very good TTT squad to the Giro so it's probably possible. Hushovd, Phinney and Pinotti alone make an extremely good base for a TTT squad. Particularly the likes of Phinney and Hushovd are the most valuable types of riders one can have in a TTT. They are both big guys (which is more important than you'd think - the difference between drafting behind a 80 kg rider and a 50kg rider is huge) who are incredibly strong in prologues and have exceptional bursts of speed.

However, it doesn't seem as if it's certain that Hushovd will go to the Giro just yet, because in the latest interview with Aftenposten he says that the plan is not finalized yet and that he still thinks it will be too hard of a program. Interestingly he also says that the BMC management seemed to think that he had a "too light" program between P-R and TDF, which is why they want him in the Giro. Quite weird that they would think that given how Hushovd has been in his absolute top shape the latest years at the TDF with his usual schedule. The years in which he rode the Giro he hasn't been nearly as strong in the TDF.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
How many times has Hushovd actually done the Giro? I know he did in 2007 and he got a stage win with a top class lead out by Julian Dean. You know the year when Boonen was actually a factor in TDF sprints.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Gloin22 said:
Must be some kind of record fail by cyclingnews with this photo :p

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tour-de-san-luis/stage-5/photos/205198

Was very hard to resist posting this here, sorry :p

It misspells the name of the rider they think it is, it horrifically misspells the name of the team they think it is, it's very obviously not that rider or that team in the picture.

Wow, that must be some kind of record.

The kicker is that the rider has "CAJA RURAL" written 4 times on him, and he looks NOTHING like Schumacher

Here's a picture of Schumacher for comparison

blofeld-cat.JPG

Gesinks program up till the Tour de France:

19-23 feb - Vuelta Andalucia (Ruta del Sol)
26 feb - Clasica Almeria
3-4 mar - Vuelta a Murcia
19-25 mar - Volta Catalunya
2-7 apr - Pais Vasco
15 apr - Amstel Gold
18 apr - Fleche Wallone
22 apr - Liege Bastogne Liege
9-17 jun - Tour de Suisse
30 jun-22 jul - Tour de France

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Gesinks program up till the Tour de France:

19-23 feb - Vuelta Andalucia (Ruta del Sol)
26 feb - Clasica Almeria
3-4 mar - Vuelta a Murcia
19-25 mar - Volta Catalunya
2-7 apr - Pais Vasco
15 apr - Amstel Gold
18 apr - Fleche Wallone
22 apr - Liege Bastogne Liege
9-17 jun - Tour de Suisse
30 jun-22 jul - Tour de France

I don't remember his last year program, what changes?

TRENDING THREADS