• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Geraint Thomas, the next british hope

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
Re:

SlickMongoose said:
Love this photo:

le-tour-france-2015-stage-20150716-162801-257.jpg

Even Froome is like..... wtf?

Thomas looks like he is laughing, or just laughing.
Froome doesnt look to be breathing hard at all.
Quintana suffering.
Contador suffering.
TVG suffering.
Valverde suffering.

Dont pisss on my leg and tell me its raining.

Re: Re:

Scott SoCal said:
SlickMongoose said:
Love this photo:

Great pic. I like this one too;

2rm1is4.jpg

Let's not forget Thomas had a pretty stellar spring and was definitely the strongest rider at G-W even after this crash.

I like the analogy to Sagan. This display today was not normal.

I would be far less surprised to see Sagan doing what Thomas did today than Thomas.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site

red_flanders said:
Scott SoCal said:
SlickMongoose said:
Love this photo:

Great pic. I like this one too;

2rm1is4.jpg

Let's not forget Thomas had a pretty stellar spring and was definitely the strongest rider at G-W even after this crash.

I like the analogy to Sagan. This display today was not normal.

I would be far less surprised to see Sagan doing what Thomas did today than Thomas.

OK, everybody has a round with those pics... so I join.
Actually, besides doping, I see cyclists suffering. That´s all. Thomas has a different grimace. But it´s not like he is laughing all the way up like another infamous doper did in Spain.

snccdcno

BANNED
Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Actually, besides doping, I see cyclists suffering. That´s all. Thomas has a different grimace. But it´s not like he is laughing all the way up like another infamous doper did in Spain.

Indeed, today's picture was great but still prefer this one

Chris-Horner-and-Vincenzo-Nibali-659x440.jpg

snccdcno said:
FoxxyBrown1111 said:

Ha, that's hilarious. Made me laugh.

Reminds of the Chicago Bears defense talking about Aaron Rodgers "That dude, he be having fun out there, he be laughing at you"

snccdcno said:
FoxxyBrown1111 said:

Not to say that Chris is clean or anything ridiculous like that, but that is his grimace.
TBF in the Thomas picture he is the only one not having water thrown up in his face. Again, doesn't explain the sudden superpowers, just the expression.

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
Hey G

“It’s not nice to hear that, but what can you do? It’s how people are. There will always be haters,” Thomas told reporters according to Velonews. “We just have to keep doing what we’re doing, and stay focused on the job. We’re having a laugh, and staying off Twitter and all that crap, and just enjoy it.”

Thomas would like that cycling should be treated the same as other sports: “It’s sad how the sport is at the moment, but you can kind of understand, considering its past,” he said. “It’s sad that when you ride well, you get accused of stuff. In tennis or football, you have a really good performance, no one questions that. I’m not saying they’re doing anything wrong, but you ride your bike well, and everyone thinks you’re cheating.”

If you read this, then you're lying.

That's always been the UCI and the dopers' fantasy. For cycling to be like other sports they are so jealous of those. You don't get accused for doing well. Even in the dopiest doped up sport of them all, the 100m, no one accuses Bolt of doping.

Still, I don't know why anyone who wants clean sport would want that. I think its really unfair on cyclists that only they get called out but if they weren't the sport would be in a bad place. Even wiggins aknowledged in 07 that its healthy for the champions to be greeted with scepticism. That's before of course he magically discovered his super climbing skills, got the 1 million pound salary he had been whinging about not having, and totally changed his opinion on the issue.

Re:

jalep said:
Love that picture - Froome looks concerned :p

Thomas probably wouldn't be allowed to podium this year. And Thomas/Froome probably would not be allowed to win TdF next year, but I think Thomas has shown to be a superior enough overall responder to do it. And anyway, if all this is as scripted and pre-determined as I suspect it is, a la WWF, Sky needs to take a year off next year anyway - two years in a row - don't risk it. This podium - it's just too obvious to put 2 riders on the podium, but I suppose it's tempting, as we saw at the Giro. At least Contador won that, not the 2 Astana riders. If I were directing this blockbuster sport performance and banking on the blind masses to continue to suspend disbelief: no Astana riders would win anymore this year, after the Giro. Tinkoff/Contador doesn't get le Tour - maybe the Vuelta.

Too much hubris to put 2 Sky riders on the podium for this act: Froome, Tejay, Quintana - sure, why not. Thomas has to wait it out - but I do like him more than Froome as a cyclist and as dopers go. Still cycling is messed up - too messed up to ever take seriously. A shame too, I love cycling in general. Pro cycling...not so much now. And yet, I watched the entire stage today and got involved cheering the underdogs on hahaha... Would like the script to fail completely somehow, some way.

they'll podium the Vuelta next year with Konig, and Thomas will try to podium the Tour. Froome? I dont know, he could go for Olympic TT or road race

Re:

red_flanders said:
My favorite part is the standard Paul Sherwen call, where someone ridiculous is just pounding everyone, and he starts reciting their palmares, knowing some explanation is required. "Thomas was 5th in San Remo this year and an Olympic champion..."
"And Chris Froome attacks on the Peña Cabarga! This is the winner of the Astronomic C*ck Race of 2009 and little else we're seeing here, stamping his authority on the race!"

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
Re:

red_flanders said:
My favorite part is the standard Paul Sherwen call, where someone ridiculous is just pounding everyone, and he starts reciting their palmares, knowing some explanation is required. "Thomas was 5th in San Remo this year and an Olympic champion..."

All I hear is the number of times Sherwen, Van De Velde, Roll, & the other guy (talking about US/NBC coverage) use the word "incredible" to describe "G" 's performance

They don't consciously know exactly what the word means, but the intuitive/gut reaction that keeps bringing that word to the surface is right on the money - in the split second that live TV gives them to find a word to describe what they are seeing they cannot find a better word, because there isn't one.

Saint Unix said:
red_flanders said:
"And Chris Froome attacks on the Peña Cabarga! This is the winner of the Astronomic C*ck Race of 2009 and little else we're seeing here, stamping his authority on the race!"
Being neither a Froome fanboy nor hater I thought you were kidding. But no. No you weren't. Definite, bona fide lolz.

Runner-up in '06, BTW.

TRENDING THREADS