• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Geraint Thomas

Page 62 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Thomas’s big goal was the Giro while the Vuelta would always be a see how it goes. Or do you really think riding and finishing the second double of his career at 37 would go well?
Well as we have only seen an injured Thomas in La Vuelta, you and I will never know how he would fair under normal crash-free circumstances. I'm just saying he is the master at getting to required weight and fitness for a GT. 3rd in Tour last year, 2nd in Giro this year is about as good as any team is hoping for against Jumbo at the moment imo.

Reactions: awavey and SHAD0W93
FFS Sam, it's called a joke. We're not in the Clinic now, you don't have to leap into defence mode any time somebody says something mean about an Ineos rider here.
I didn't take it as mean, just thought you didn't know what you were talking about to be honest. More puzzling why Thomas keeps hitting podium each year and each year people seem to write him off being a contender to reach it, it's just illogical.

I don't actually doubt Thomas had some form. His 10th in the Worlds ITT may not look like much, but it requires a decent bit of form. Then he goes to the Vuelta, crashes, and gets 20th in the much weaker Vuelta ITT where he finishes 2 minutes down again in half the duration.

To be fair he had a dropped chain in that ITT last Wednesday & stopped pushing after that.

Thomas seems to have mentally zoned out tbh. He said in his podcast last week he considered just sitting there on the road after his second crash in this Vuelta (the big one where he bashed his knees against a wall after his teammate fell in front of him) & DNF, but he thought there was a risk Ineos might send him to the Tour of Croatia or something so he figured he'd finish the race.

One thing is certain, i.e. Thomas has a pretty good sense of humor.

Well as we have only seen an injured Thomas in La Vuelta, you and I will never know how he would fair under normal crash-free circumstances. I'm just saying he is the master at getting to required weight and fitness for a GT. 3rd in Tour last year, 2nd in Giro this year is about as good as any team is hoping for against Jumbo at the moment imo.
He's British, he usually doesn't race hard after July, has admitted to being out of shape because of drinking after his season's goals before, and the team's sending him to Spain in August, so I made a joke about him getting drunk in Benidorm because that's a stereotypical British summer holiday.

In what world is that a serious comment on racing form that needs to be taken as an insult to Geraint Thomas' racing history and rectified with a "WELL, AKCHUALLY" response? I even said "in a normal season", because he's historically targeted the Tour, which he isn't doing this season?

He's British, he usually doesn't race hard after July, has admitted to being out of shape because of drinking after his season's goals before, and the team's sending him to Spain in August, so I made a joke about him getting drunk in Benidorm because that's a stereotypical British summer holiday.

In what world is that a serious comment on racing form that needs to be taken as an insult to Geraint Thomas' racing history and rectified with a "WELL, AKCHUALLY" response? I even said "in a normal season", because he's historically targeted the Tour, which he isn't doing this season?

I'm even more confused now? Your initial reply to me re. explaining his Vuelta performance currently, was:

"To be fair, Thomas is in his usual (since climber transformation) September form"

You now say you were joking about his form and it is normal GT podium level? I agree it's impossible to know because the crashes have taken him out of racing GC, but to think he wouldn't be up there without the crashes is illogical when he routinely hits podium if he has a smooth run without injury or crashing the last few years in the GTs he enters. Maybe he cannot race two podiums in two GTs, but we really don't know, he's as yet not had the luck to be in a GC race twice in a year to test that theory out.

I'm even more confused now? Your initial reply to me re. explaining his Vuelta performance currently, was:

"To be fair, Thomas is in his usual (since climber transformation) September form"

You now say you were joking about his form and it is normal GT podium level? I agree it's impossible to know because the crashes have taken him out of racing GC, but to think he wouldn't be up there without the crashes is illogical when he routinely hits podium if he has a smooth run without injury or crashing the last few years in the GTs he enters. Maybe he cannot race two podiums in two GTs, but we really don't know, he's as yet not had the luck to be in a GC race twice in a year to test that theory out.
I didn't say why he was in his usual September form. Just that him being anonymous and irrelevant to the GC at this time of year is not out of the ordinary.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Thomas seems to have mentally zoned out tbh. He said in his podcast last week he considered just sitting there on the road after his second crash in this Vuelta (the big one where he bashed his knees against a wall after his teammate fell in front of him) & DNF, but he thought there was a risk Ineos might send him to the Tour of Croatia or something so he figured he'd finish the race.
True champions mentality, there's a reason he has a higher base salary than Roglic, Van Aert, Vingegaard, Evenepoel or MvdP

I was making a joke about that rather than making a serious comment about his form at the Vuelta.
Doncha know we're not supposed to joke about G, and we're especially not supposed to joke about G fanbois who are so blind they can't see who's being laughed at.

Personally, I think G should be given a slot every year in the ToB, the greatest pub crawl in the whole of the UK. He'd comfortably win the night stages, he's a master at that.

Reactions: veganrob
Doncha know we're not supposed to joke about G, and we're especially not supposed to joke about G fanbois who are so blind they can't see who's being laughed at.

Personally, I think G should be given a slot every year in the ToB, the greatest pub crawl in the whole of the UK. He'd comfortably win the night stages, he's a master at that.

I thought those had got knocked on the head after Wiggins last tour,which seems to go down more in folklore the more you hear the stories about it.

CN today: „Geraint Thomas: In the off-season you let yourself go“.

Can it be that riding or having ridden for Sky/Ineos makes people feeling the need to frequently talk… em… „weird stuff“? ;)

Firstly Froome talks about setup differences of centimeters, recently (called „BS“ by Rasmussen), now Thomas claims to let himself go in the offseason.

Never ever does Thomas let himself go in the offseason. There isn’t even something like an offseason for Thomas. And if he had/has an offseason, he never ever lets himself go.

He‘s a great character, and we all want to hear what he has to say, because he‘s smart and experienced and has a nice humour, but claiming letting himself go is rather… boring, and misguiding, and certainly wrong.

There’s time for this foolishness later. No time to win bike races later
What, races like the Tour, Dauphine, P-N, Romandie, Suisse, E3 and Olympic golds? He's a normal person, who needs to do normal things from time to time, which has still afforded him a stellar career. Pray tell, how should he have lived his life these past 20 years?

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan