• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Geraint Thomas

Page 64 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
You gotta take what Thomas says at face value. Cmon.

I doubt he drinks for three months straight or is an alcoholic.

In reality... he probably has 4-5 weeks off like any normal person. Have a few beers every now and then during those weeks, like you do on vacation. Maybe doesnt think too much about what he eats. Then it is back to work, just like for a normal person.

GTs is where he can compete these days. Why would he train super-hard during the off-season to be in great shape for an early race like Algarve? Those races are a young mans game anyway and he has more than proved himself already.

He is better off going all in for a Giro or the Tour. Maximize his chances at a great result.

This stuff is just click-bait.
Guess to close all this, G was back in training last week and is now in LA to do his usual big volume training camp with Wurf.

A lot of riders freely admit to going on a bender on occasion, but there's a very big difference between having the occasional party in the off season and enjoying the holidays and never being competitive before Trentino/Dauphine.

Roglic is also definitely not one of those guys known for being a teetotaller
We saw him a few times in the Malibu hills and you don't really want to take a hangover with you. That said, very few pros that train and race GTs can tolerate more than a few drinks. The purists always seem to find that to be sacrilege in the eyes of the cycling deities. I doubt Geraint would be racing this long if he was an outright Puritan and I'd question the balance of anyone that doesn't break ranks once in a while. Mental perspective is fairly important; particularly when you can see the end of career approaching.

This will be a puzzle for me.. Midday temps are always pretty reasonable but up in the mountains near Los Angeles pretty cold ..Angeles National Forrest has great offerings but it's cold to me!! San Diego county has good stuff but not much altitude.. Don't think anyone has more coffee shops than LA!! Los Angeles also has a few thousand flavors of craft beer.. Can't wait to see him eat Mexican and Korean food!!!The grades going up to Big Bear are nice but that's pretty far if you are living in greater Los Angeles..

This will be a puzzle for me.. Midday temps are always pretty reasonable but up in the mountains near Los Angeles pretty cold ..Angeles National Forrest has great offerings but it's cold to me!! San Diego county has good stuff but not much altitude.. Don't think anyone has more coffee shops than LA!! Los Angeles also has a few thousand flavors of craft beer.. Can't wait to see him eat Mexican and Korean food!!!The grades going up to Big Bear are nice but that's pretty far if you are living in greater Los Angeles..
The daylight is short so you need to start your rides early. If you ride East from Delmar you can climb Mt Palomar, descend and return via Carlsbad on Elfin Forest. At least you could years ago and then get back to Delmar at dusk. This time of year you're not really trying to kill it and this type of ride ends well with a hard dash to the Coast. Then pizza and beer. You can spend days climbing up and down the canyons above PCW from the Malibu area and North. The locals know each route and best time of day, too so Geraint should have worthwhile efforts. The descents down Tuna and other roads are legendary and can be fatal. There are alot of rich tools with Lambos that love to race up the hills.

I'm assuming you're not talking about the frozen desert. Unless you* have a habit of putting interesting stuff in those in the UK...

*I'm right that you're in the UK, right?

I am yes :) and as others have said it's an old cockney slang word, that migrated around the UK, or at least as far as the Eastern seaside parts where many Londoners holidayed, for any alcoholic drink really though beer would be the most common use.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Highly recommend his podcast with Kuss. Don't know if there's room for G as a commentator but I'd like to hear him call the Tour.
Please dear God no.

Not to do with Thomas himself, I actually think he'd make a pretty good pundit, he's affable and relaxed in his delivery, seems like he has a sense of humour and I think could do a reasonable job as long as he could show enough objectivity, plus regardless of my opinions of his career as a GC rider, the English-speaking punditry team could do with somebody better equipped to cover that side of the sport rather than the troops of sprinters, leadouts and domestiques that have largely carried the load in recent years.

But I am absolutely terrified of just how cringey and embarrassing the rest of the sycophantic Grenadiers Cycling Network alumni will get when "my mate G" finally enters the commentary booth or the punditry studio with them, and they can all fight over who can gush over him most and which one of them gets him to do the best awkward fake laugh at their attempts at humour.

And if I never have to hear that stupid nickname again it'll be too soon.

Please dear God no.

Not to do with Thomas himself, I actually think he'd make a pretty good pundit, he's affable and relaxed in his delivery, seems like he has a sense of humour and I think could do a reasonable job as long as he could show enough objectivity, plus regardless of my opinions of his career as a GC rider, the English-speaking punditry team could do with somebody better equipped to cover that side of the sport rather than the troops of sprinters, leadouts and domestiques that have largely carried the load in recent years.

But I am absolutely terrified of just how cringey and embarrassing the rest of the sycophantic Grenadiers Cycling Network alumni will get when "my mate G" finally enters the commentary booth or the punditry studio with them, and they can all fight over who can gush over him most and which one of them gets him to do the best awkward fake laugh at their attempts at humour.

And if I never have to hear that stupid nickname again it'll be too soon.
Wiggins on a moto, comes to mind.

• Wow
My god...

Geriant.jpg

Yep. He said on his podcast he’s riding the giro to win. And the tour for fun
The Tour for fun? Rodriguez I guess will be Ineos GC hopeful, so G will be "protected rider #2" or will he be just doing a cycing holiday in France (and Italy of course next year)? Maybe he could combine some wine and food reporting on his travels as G does like a tipple now and then, I believe.

I thought he wanted to do the Olympics for fun or was that all shooting the breeze?

So now we know why G lost out to Roglic at the Giro - he got a hankering for a sarnie! I'm guessing cheese and Branston pickle, although it might be some Welsh speciality

https://cyclinguptodate.com/cycling...e-change-in-critical-monte-lussari-time-trial
Poels saw his old teammate Geraint Thomas on his way to the overall victory, until he lost pink to Primoz Roglic in the final time trial. "I really hoped that G would win. I was surprised at the slow bike change. He was making a sandwich and eating it and only then did he continue!"

• Wow
G saying what Rigoberto said also about how things have changed. It's not surprising that a bunch of youngsters race like, well a bunch of youngsters!
https://cyclinguptodate.com/cycling...-the-established-hierarchy-within-the-peloton
“It’s completely different. It’s kind of like as if it’s junior or under-23 racing now,” says the former Tour de France winner via Red Bull’s Just Ride podcast. “There’s less respect for each other. Everyone just goes where they want, chopping each other up, whereas before you’d fight for position but it would be a bit more calm. Whereas now it’s just bonkers.”
“It used to be more chilled, but these days it’s basically full-on from kilometre zero, from the start until the end,” the INEOS Grenadiers stalwart continues. “You see it as four or five hours of concentration. You used to be able to have a chat with your mates or whatever, but now you’re in the zone for four or five hours, and then you chat afterwards. That’s just the way it is.”