• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Gerdemann

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
What do we expect from Gerdemann at the tour? will his proposed experiment go ahead? will he perform at his normal level? will he finish the tour?

I think this is about the only way to prove you are clean, good luck. Holding my breath...

May 6, 2009
Visit site
IIRC wasn't he working with Cecchini when he was at CSC? I don't believe that would be the case now, because if teams find out that you are working for him or Ferrari you are fired. Make of that what you will.

This is farcical.

It would have been nice to have Astana being followed like this at last year's Tour when they continually showed up 30-40 minutes late for their doping tests, so this in my opinion proves nothing and just makes the race not about racing but about doping.

It really doesn't help that Lynus is not a contender. He may finish, but that's about it. So what does it really prove? An anonymous rider can ride the Tour without dope, but it's the contenders who garner the most attention and where doping suspicions really are a major concern.

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
good on him for proposing the thing.
life as a clean, talented cyclist without amazing results must be enormously frustrating because of constant talk of doping.

Remember that Linus was implicated in the Freiburg mess or some sort when he was at T-Mobile, so it has a personal implication for him. Also, as arguably the nearest thing the Germans have to a GC rider right about now (there's still the likes of Tony Martin to develop of course), and with the reputation of cycling in the dustbin in Germany, there is a certain level of gain to be had in terms of rehabbing that. Plus, with Wegmann having just won Germany's biggest one-day race, if they can have even a half-decent showing at the Tour, and Gerdemann proving at least outwardly that he's clean, that could provide some pretty serious assistance to Milram's hunt for a sponsor.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
a cynic in me wants to laugh out the gerdenann's idea but on a second thought i see something else - a typically german overdoing mixed with the desperation for being heard out.

good luck to linus...ohh and don't forget to ask armstrong how he managed to completely discard a similar noble idea when it no longer served a pr value.

hope you do better than texas.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
galaxy1 said:
life as a clean, talented cyclist without amazing results must be enormously frustrating because of constant talk of doping.

+1

It's good to see a rider want to restore some credibility in the sport.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
"Remember that Linus was implicated in the Freiburg mess or some sort when he was at T-Mobile, so it has a personal implication for him."

He was never implicated in any mess as far as I know & you do him a disservice by stating that. Fair play to him if he wants to do that, if they all did we would be all up for it. Unbelievably yet probably not as this is the Clinic we have people ready to dismiss him even when the guy actually proposes 24 hour round the clock surveillance for himself.
I doubt this will happen just now but as an expermiment id have to have a lot of respect for it. Interesting.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
hereis the article. Sounds like an interesting idea, i think Race radio already suggested it a while ago, that riders have independent chaperones who will follow the rider anywhere and everywhere, at all times.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I reckon we should raise a collection to pay for it. I'll pledge £20.
However, not for Gerdemann. I don't much care about him. I would pay for someone high profile that I definitely suspect though like Valverde/Contador/Vino/etc

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
I guess I am somewhere between these two posts.
galaxy1 said:
python said:
a cynic in me wants to laugh out the gerdenann's idea but on a second thought i see something else - a typically german overdoing mixed with the desperation for being heard out.

good luck to linus...ohh and don't forget to ask armstrong how he managed to completely discard a similar noble idea when it no longer served a pr value.

Unfortunately because of the credibility of the sport, Gerdemann is 'forced' to offer this as a way to placate a skeptical German public.

It is a good idea - and one JV said before with Garmin, but I will wait until it actually happens before giving the guy kudos - in Pro cycling talk is cheap.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
karlboss said:
What do we expect from Gerdemann at the tour? will his proposed experiment go ahead? will he perform at his normal level? will he finish the tour?

I think this is about the only way to prove you are clean, good luck. Holding my breath...

Which normal level? The "normal" high level before the bio passport went into full operation or the "normal" crappy level afterwards?

May 3, 2010
www.ror-zone.com
well he performed better in 2009 24th than in 2007 when he was 36th. So we could say that if he continues with natural progression he should finish in the top 25 again this year at least. Will be interesting to follow.

Much doping is done during training periods, this kind of surveillance is probably only possible during the race therefore not that effective.

I would also assume that gynaecologist visits would be exempt.

The intention might be good, but in reality just a PR gimmick.

Straßenrennen said:
Mr.38% is Linus or someone associated closely with him? Quick to jump in with total defense as a new poster ^^.
Long time lurker. I used to train with him sometimes but I am in no way convinced that he or anyone is 100% clean (I don't really care either). Just commenting on the bull****.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
Which normal level? The "normal" high level before the bio passport went into full operation or the "normal" crappy level afterwards?

If he does it- good for him. One cannot do anything more, really.

Sure it's a media stunt. Better than nothing.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:

As far as I'm concerned the bio passport didn't go into full operation until it popped the recent guys. Either way the passport was in place for last years Tour and he placed 24...so lets say 24 is normal.

Bio passport or new team the big change?

I don't think it will happen. Honestly.

Last year and the year before went really bad for him. In 2007 he blew up after his effort in Le Gran-Bonnard that brought him a stage win, yellow and white. 2008 he crashed out of Tirreno-Adriatico's final stage with the overall win almost in his pocket. 2009 he messed up his winter and early season training (this happens if you believe in ergometer tests only...). 2010 I see him top 15 with at least "un jour sans".

And yes, he was introduced to Checchini in 2006 by my almost-namesake.

Oncearunner8

BANNED
Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
python said:

It shure beats those deouch bags over at Astana.

TRENDING THREADS