• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro 2013: Stage-by-stage analysis

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Cult Classics said:
I'd like to see it but I can't see it. He does so much racing during classics season. He's more or less the only big name classics rider to do all the races (he skips Roubaix but he'll do most races from Omloop, Strade Bianche through to Liege), so it just seems unlikely he'd do the Giro too. Higher chance of either kicking back at the tour of Belgium or fulfilling some sponsor obligations in the rainbow at the tour of California I think.

He did it in 2009 though.

Ferminal said:
Roughly listing them,

Tour has:

Pailheres
Ventoux
Sarenne
Huez
Glandon
Madeleine
Semnoz

So 7 proper HC+ climbs.

Giro has:

Passo Cason di Lanza
Cenis
Telegraphe-Galibier
Gavia
Stelvio
Martello
Giau
Tre Croci-Tre Cime

In absence of the list @ Plataforma Recorridos:

Telegraphe-Galibier
Ventoux
Cenis
Tre Croci-Tre Cime
Gavia
Cason di Lanza

Madeleine
Stelvio
Sarenne
Pailheres
Giau
Semnoz
Huez
Glandon

Martello

Just a guess.

So around 5 of the hardest 6 are in the Giro.

Tour has 2 stages with 2 HC. Giro has 1 stage with 3 HC and 2 stages with 2HC. Which means the Giro has at least one HC on 4 stages whilst for the Tour it is 5.

Stelvio so low? They are taking the easiest side?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Boy would it be sweet to see Gilbert DNF,baring in mind how much **** Cav got last year from a certain poster because he was "not going to finish".

Gilbert almost always finishes GTs and unlike Cavendish actually races the real races in April. ;) Not every cyclist wins on the easy terrain.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Eshnar said:
And Costalunga is definitely an HC.
And we could argue whether Sestriere is on not.

CostalungaW.gif

i don't know where did you find this profile of costalunga, which looks wrong.
costalunga is long but quite easy.it is not an hard climb. it is a climb which is similar to many tour climbs and it cannot stand in gront of the true HC climbs of the dolomites, like giau or fedaia from caprile. it is easier than lavaze, san pellegrino and many others.
on costalunga, mountain domestique can make good rhythm and you can stay comfortably on the wheel. there are few steep sections.
personal experience , i climbed it.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I don't think BMC forces their star riders to do the tour of California unlike Cannondale. Evans never did California. Gilbert didn't this year too. I don't think it will be any different next year even though he is the world champion. Doing California will be a total waste of time for him.

profff said:
i don't know where did you find this profile of costalunga, which looks wrong.
costalunga is long but quite easy.it is not an hard climb. it is a climb which is similar to many tour climbs and it cannot stand in gront of the true HC climbs of the dolomites, like giau or fedaia from caprile. it is easier than lavaze, san pellegrino and many others.
on costalunga, mountain domestique can make good rhythm and you can stay comfortably on the wheel. there are few steep sections.
personal experience , i climbed it.
I know Costalunga isn't in the same league as other Dolomites but the profile seems true. On salite.ch there's this one that fits quite well.

http://www.salite.ch/I/costalu.gif

EDIT: And it IS a HC by tdf standards. In the Giro it'll probably be a 2nd category tho.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Eshnar said:
I know Costalunga isn't in the same league as other Dolomites but the profile seems true. On salite.ch there's this one that fits quite well.

http://www.salite.ch/I/costalu.gif

EDIT: And it IS a HC by tdf standards. In the Giro it'll probably be a 2nd category tho.

sorry, I did not want to look aggressive on you. I appreciate very much your very good work and your comment son stages.
i just wanted to outline that costalunga, as you said, is not in the same league of HC climbs of the giro. maybe in france, in july a climb like costalunga can stand in the HC group: french know how to hype everything about the tour.
but we definitely agree that costalunga ( that i suggest to every amateur going into the dolomites for the beautiful passage on the outstanding lago di carezza) will not be an unforgettable moment of the corsa rosa.

profff said:
sorry, I did not want to look aggressive on you.
You didn't :)
profff said:
I appreciate very much your very good work and your comment son stages.
i just wanted to outline that costalunga, as you said, is not in the same league of HC climbs of the giro. maybe in france, in july a climb like costalunga can stand in the HC group: french know how to hype everything about the tour.
but we definitely agree that costalunga ( that i suggest to every amateur going into the dolomites for the beautiful passage on the outstanding lago di carezza) will not be an unforgettable moment of the corsa rosa.
ofc, but the main point was comparing the amount of big climbs in Giro and Tour so I just pointed out that Costalunga should be an HC. That's all.

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
I posted this on another thread:

ernesto. said:
I just visited the Giro pages to look at the categorization of the climbs for the 2013 race, but they're still all "blue"! Does anybody know where the Giro stages might be posted with their categorizations? Or where the race programs might be posted? I previously read on this thread that:

Eshnar said:
Those profiles are still provisionals... Soon they'll make the final version, with all the changes they made to a few stages and the category of the climbs. Anyway, if you look at the "cronotabella" (=timetable), there already are the categories in the end.

ernesto. said:
but I can't see where I can find that - the cronotabella - for the current upcoming race on the 2013 site.

Just hoping someone here might have an answer! :) Thanks!