• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro 2013: Stage-by-stage analysis

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I updated the analysis with the new profiles.

stage 1 is now a bunch sprint at 100%, and it's a lot shorter than before.
stage 3 is 10 kms longer, and one of the first climb have been changed.
stage 6 has a lap more than originally planned, but that doesn't change a thing.
stage 7 has a harder finish, I like.
stage 8 has been shortened by 800m :D but the final kick-up is still there.
stage 9 will not have the worlds circuit, but Fiesole will be climbed from the opposite side and the finale will be different and slightly uphill.
stage 11 is now an uphill spint on the Vajont.
stage 13 has a different set of hills and it's now the longest of the race... it should go to a breakaway anyway.
stage 14 is longer, but no significant changes
stage 16 has a different finale, with 8 kms of flat after a longer descent.
stage 17 is longer and the final climb slightly different.
stage 18 is 1.2 kms longer, now it's 20.6 kms long.

Example:

Original image of map

Original image of profile

Width 1000:
P1VerxJ.jpg

UKROwzX.jpg

Width 800:
P1VerxJ.jpg

UKROwzX.jpg

Eshnar said:
yes I'd say the width at 1000 is perfect... But seriously, I should resize around 50 images... :eek:
Given the amount of (very good) work you already have done, I wouldn't resizing them (and make them linking to the full size picture).

IF you deem them too big. If not, why bother? Although I normally resize pictures of other posters that are too big (or just change it to a link) I don't mind the width in this case.

Netserk said:
Given the amount of (very good) work you already have done, I wouldn't resizing them (and make them linking to the full size picture).

IF you deem them too big. If not, why bother? Although I normally resize pictures of other posters that are too big (or just change it to a link) I don't mind the width in this case.
I'll let them be for now... Maybe one day I'll resize them :D

Fantastic work Eshnar.

Nibali has to be the big favourite on this route! That stage 7 is Wiggo's worst nightmare (he could easily lose the Giro just on that stage) and that's before we even get started on the high mountain stuff...

Absolutely shocking route for the sprinters! I suppose at least there is the carrot of the first stage but Cav might as well go home after stage 6.

JRanton said:
Absolutely shocking route for the sprinters! I suppose at least there is the carrot of the first stage but Cav might as well go home after stage 6.
There will be 4 bunch sprints... If I were Cav I wouldn't go at all, but since he's going I guess he could even go all the way to Brescia. After all he did all the race last year even if all was lost after stage 18. He seems to really enjoy the Giro (and that's quite unusual for a non Italian sprinter)

serfla

BANNED
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've took a look at the route once again, and again I have impression it favors Wiggins.
Not only because of the tt(s), more due to the schedule of the stages.
If everything goes without unexpected loses, he's going to be in position where he'll know what (advantage) he'll have to defend, which is huge advantage keeping in mind Sky's (in comparison to other teams) advanced calculative approach.
Tre Cime really is the climb (and stage) where Wiggins could be cracked, but it's at the end, and anyone who has the jersey before the stage will dig very deep to keep it, escecially Wiggo with all logistics.
It would have been more fair to give a chance a piece to climbers and time trialists - to put climbers in position to defend in time trials, and not only to time trialists on climbs.
A Zoncolan (kind of) climb is what this route is missing with Nibali - Wiggins duel expected.

serfla said:
It would have been more fair to give a chance a piece to climbers and time trialists - to put climbers in position to defend in time trials, and not only to time trialists on climbs.
You can't "defend" in tts. Everyone does what he can. On the other hand, having a tt after the climbs means that during the climbs the gc will be relatively close, and people will be afraid to waste energy attacking and lose positions (we saw last year). The ITT of the last day is something I always hated for this reason.
Now, I have to say the last sprint stage sucks more :D there were better alternatives. But the ITT in the first week is exactly where it's supposed to be.

serfla

BANNED
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Eshnar said:
You can't "defend" in tts. Everyone does what he can. On the other hand, having a tt after the climbs means that during the climbs the gc will be relatively close, and people will be afraid to waste energy attacking and lose positions (we saw last year). The ITT of the last day is something I always hated for this reason.
Now, I have to say the last sprint stage sucks more :D there were better alternatives. But the ITT in the first week is exactly where it's supposed to be.
Off course you can.
We've seen numerous extraordinary tt performances when guys were in the leading jersey.
Defending in tt means the same what digging deep on climbs mean.

Edit
Maybe the mountain tt should have been the conclusive stage.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
If any balance in stage races design exists, it is the 2013 Giro! :) I wonder whether Nibali will take a risk to attack on hilly stages in the first week. Cool that a long time trial has a difficult profile. It enlarges a super time trialist's edge even more IMO