• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Giro 2017, stage 15: Valdengo – Bergamo 199 km

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Irondan said:
Netserk said:
That is highly debatable.
How is that debatable? Am I wrong?

Well I've watched this sport for 50+ years. There is some precedent for waiting for a rider in the Leaders Jersey. But even that was/is observed on a case by case basis. Personally IMO there is more waiting now then in the 'good old days'.

It was a class move by Major Tom but there should be no expectation of treatment in kind.
 
Mar 13, 2015
2,637
0
0
Visit site
Re: Re:

TommyGun said:
Irondan said:
TommyGun said:
Moviefan1203 said:
Quintana clawed back a few seconds. Dumoulin needs to be aware of every second.

Exactly, Dumoulin's arrogance will cost him so much next week, cannot wait for Tuesday.
How was that arrogant?

It was not only the sprint, it was the waiting for Quintana when he crashed, as if he was already sure that Quintana would never make back the time loss.

He waited how long, 5sec? Quintana was immediately back on his bike, he was in the main group whole time. Don't make a big deal out of it.
 
Re: Re:

Carols said:
Irondan said:
Netserk said:
That is highly debatable.
How is that debatable? Am I wrong?

Well I've watched this sport for 50+ years. There is some precedent for waiting for a rider in the Leaders Jersey. But even that was/is observed on a case by case basis. Personally IMO there is more waiting now then in the 'good old days'.

It was a class move by Major Tom but there should be no expectation of treatment in kind.
I think Sunweb just didn't want to use up loads of energy drilling on the front for 30km when there is a very good chance Movistar - especially with the assistance of all the team cars - would have got Quintana back into the peloton pretty easily. They're going to need to save every bit of strength they have for this final week.
 
Re: Re:

Carols said:
Irondan said:
Netserk said:
That is highly debatable.
How is that debatable? Am I wrong?

Well I've watched this sport for 50+ years. There is some precedent for waiting for a rider in the Leaders Jersey. But even that was/is observed on a case by case basis. Personally IMO there is more waiting now then in the 'good old days'.

It was a class move by Major Tom but there should be no expectation of treatment in kind.
Thanks Carol!

I have not been following pro cycling for 50+ years so I can't speak for what they did in the old days before I started watching races back in the early 90's. I understand it's a case by case basis and perhaps I was a little too liberal with the term "custom" than I should have been. My point is that in the past, when the race wasn't in full gas finale mode riders would wait for their GC rivals to get back on when something happened that could affect a 'mano a mano' race to prove who's the strongest. I get it that it was case by case and not all situations necessitated a rider to wait for his competition, but today was a throwback to times when guys waited for each other because of some "unwritten rule" or something to the effect.

I thought it was classy. :)
 
Re: Re:

Mr.White said:
TommyGun said:
Irondan said:
TommyGun said:
Moviefan1203 said:
Quintana clawed back a few seconds. Dumoulin needs to be aware of every second.

Exactly, Dumoulin's arrogance will cost him so much next week, cannot wait for Tuesday.
How was that arrogant?

It was not only the sprint, it was the waiting for Quintana when he crashed, as if he was already sure that Quintana would never make back the time loss.

He waited how long, 5sec? Quintana was immediately back on his bike, he was in the main group whole time. Don't make a big deal out of it.

The stupidest thing of all was where the Movistar vehicle stopped. That was idiotic.
 
Re: Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Armchair cyclist said:
But when Quintana dropped back to get a more suitable sized bike, Bahrain-Merida did drive on.
Well it's not like Nibali ever showed any moral ethics when opponents fall or get a flat tire. That's Nibali for you

There was a Quickstep rider in front of them and Nibali was looking around like Dumoulin but you can't be expected to stop every time Quintana has an issue. Dumoulin is the one in pink not Quintana and usually such treatment is only given to the leader. So Dumoulin was more than fair. If Cancellara was there there would have been all sorts of hand wringing and pleas for mercy ! A go slow at least.
 
Re: Re:

Irondan said:
kingjr said:
webvan said:
rick james said:
Nairo gets bonus seconds

Nice way of repaying TD for waiting for him
That's what I meant by poisoning the race. Was Quintana supposed to just roll in at the finish and throw away bonus seconds as if Dumoulin were his only opponent?
No way, and I'm almost certain that Dumoulin would not expect that anyway.

That's the thing to remember.. TD did what he choose to do: wait. In so doing he made sure there would be a race at the finish and race there was. How the sprint unfolded for each of the GC contenders made it exciting to watch . In the end Pinot, Nairo, TD and Nibali all got a chance to take something from each others and that is great racing for us to enjoy
PS for Carol: I have followed cycling since 1954. Gosh, i am so old now... over all these years i can say we have seen all types: those who waited and those who didn't and i can't remember which of those are the most
 
Jul 12, 2013
981
0
0
Visit site
Re: Re:

starlord said:
silvergrenade said:
Voodoo charm is strong. Already 2 GC men down
What are these voodoo posts all about?

let me ask a question for you to figure it out yourself.

What do:
Tour 2014 stage 5
Tour 2014 stage 10
Giro 2016 stage 10 and
Giro 2016 stage 19
have in common?
 
Re:

Netserk said:
It was more common in the older days to attack when your rival was vulnerable. One thing is that it happened, a whole other thing is for waiting to be the norm and something you could expect.

This....take every advantage you could when you could was much more normal than waiting. But there were instances of waiting for the Jersey wearer.
 
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Good stage by Konrad and Polanc, both finishing in the first group. Both are pretty interesting prospects.


I think Polanc is an underrated all rounder. Not to the Valverde levels, but who knows, in a couple years he could be. Already has two Giro stage wins and I think he could snag another one before this year's edition comes to a close. I am interested to see how serious he becomes about GC ambitions and going for the GT podiums/wins.
 
Re: Re:

Dedelou said:
Irondan said:
kingjr said:
webvan said:
rick james said:
Nairo gets bonus seconds

Nice way of repaying TD for waiting for him
That's what I meant by poisoning the race. Was Quintana supposed to just roll in at the finish and throw away bonus seconds as if Dumoulin were his only opponent?
No way, and I'm almost certain that Dumoulin would not expect that anyway.

That's the thing to remember.. TD did what he choose to do: wait. In so doing he made sure there would be a race at the finish and race there was. How the sprint unfolded for each of the GC contenders made it exciting to watch . In the end Pinot, Nairo, TD and Nibali all got a chance to take something from each others and that is great racing for us to enjoy
PS for Carol: I have followed cycling since 1954. Gosh, i am so old now... over all these years i can say we have seen all types: those who waited and those who didn't and i can't remember which of those are the most

Wow someone older than me (66)!!!! Hopefully they don't reduce the GTs to 2 weeks while we're still alive!