• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro 2017, stage 15: Valdengo – Bergamo 199 km

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Irondan said:
TommyGun said:
Irondan said:
TommyGun said:
Moviefan1203 said:
Quintana clawed back a few seconds. Dumoulin needs to be aware of every second.

Exactly, Dumoulin's arrogance will cost him so much next week, cannot wait for Tuesday.
How was that arrogant?

It was not only the sprint, it was the waiting for Quintana when he crashed, as if he was already sure that Quintana would never make back the time loss.
Waiting for a fallen GC rival is an old pro cycling custom, not arrogance. It would seem arrogant if it never happened before, but believe it or not, that's something that GC riders used to do, but not these days.

Now if you don't go full gas when your rival crashes it's looked upon as weak and arrogant. :confused:

As for the sprint the intelligent thing to do would give up the bonus seconds to make sure you make it to the line unscathed in a hectic sprint. If the Giro comes down to six seconds between a win and loss there will be a dozen other places to find the time he lost before you get to the bonus seconds.
That is highly debatable.

Irondan said:
TommyGun said:
Irondan said:
TommyGun said:
Moviefan1203 said:

Exactly, Dumoulin's arrogance will cost him so much next week, cannot wait for Tuesday.
How was that arrogant?

It was not only the sprint, it was the waiting for Quintana when he crashed, as if he was already sure that Quintana would never make back the time loss.
Waiting for a fallen GC rival is an old pro cycling custom, not arrogance. It would seem arrogant if it never happened before, but believe it or not, that's something that GC riders used to do, but not these days.

Now if you don't go full gas when your rival crashes it's looked upon as weak and arrogant. :confused:

As for the sprint the intelligent thing to do would give up the bonus seconds to make sure you make it to the line unscathed in a hectic sprint. If the Giro comes down to six seconds between a win and loss there will be a dozen other places to find the time he lost before you get to the bonus seconds.

Well maybe I am biased, but I still think they should have moved on at the same pace (not drill it, mind you). On French TV they blamed a lot Dumoulin on this move, as well. It kind of ruined the finale, since it gave a small breather for everyone at a critical moment.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

sir fly said:
movingtarget said:
Ricco' said:
movingtarget said:
Horrible crash by Kangert. Be a miracle if he didn't break his arm.

Broken elbow confirmed by Astana. DNF.

Ah that is sad as he was riding well.
Hoped he'll get away without broken bones, but it really was too much to expect after such a spectacular tumble.
As long as it's just the bone and no nerve damage, that looked nasty.
Rolland's cornering is crappy, a veteran like him should do better.

Hugo Koblet said:
Cance > TheRest said:
Hugo Koblet said:
I think that Pinot could have won that stage pretty easily, but he seemed very scared in the sprint.
Not if Konrad had regained contact. By far the best sprinter in the first group, but he just got back a little bit too late.
Didn't notice him at all, but nice stage by him if he finished close to the favorites.

Nibs actually pulled throtthle when he noticed he won't get away and all guys left were GC contenders. He probably knew he won't get bonus in sprint and tried to slow the group down to allow better sprinters getting into mix. Almost pulled it off with Konrad, but Jungels was clever enough to monster pull another 500 meters right after Nibs stopped.

TommyGun said:
Irondan said:
TommyGun said:
Moviefan1203 said:

How was that arrogant?

:lol:

Mayomaniac said:
sir fly said:
movingtarget said:
Ricco' said:
movingtarget said:
Horrible crash by Kangert. Be a miracle if he didn't break his arm.

Broken elbow confirmed by Astana. DNF.

Ah that is sad as he was riding well.
Hoped he'll get away without broken bones, but it really was too much to expect after such a spectacular tumble.
As long as it's just the bone and no nerve damage, that looked nasty.
Rolland's cornering is crappy, a veteran like him should do better.

Rolland has never been good on descents. Very unconvincing but the guy never stops trying. I wouldn't mind seeing him take a stage.

I think it was a good move from Quintana. He was tactically spot on and he gained 6 seconds. Obviously that's not a lot, and it probably won't matter in the end of the Giro (win or lose), but he's at least trying to do something and animating the race. Last time I checked, that's what everyone wants to see, an animated race, right? So many have complained throughout this Giro that it's been boring and nobody's doing anything significant to shake up the race, well, now that we have had a few ripple effects the past couple stages, all of a sudden people people don't appreciate that? You can't have it both ways. "Oh what a boring snoozefest of a race!" Somebody attacks: "Oh wow, why did he attack? It was a meaningless attack!"

Also don't see any arrogance in Dumoulin waiting for Quintana.

I had a sneaky feeling that a result like this, where the GC men are most, if not all of them, are attentive and the stage result is made up of those particular men. I think the high speed softened things up today, and the aggressive riding throughout the day made it possible for those with GC aspirations-aka more endurance men-to stay up front and possibly challenge. The tough final part of the stage was also going to play into the hands of riders like Jungels. I actually thought Dumoulin could have another go today, but he is obviously thinking big picture.

webvan said:
rick james said:
Nairo gets bonus seconds

Nice way of repaying TD for waiting for him
Yes, it is, as a matter of fact. It shows Dumoulin didn't wait for naught.

Sport is entertainment. The point is to put up the best show for the fans. If the race leader (or a serious contender) crashes hard at the start and then the other teams proceed to smash it to the finish on a flat stage, it takes a big player out of the show without any payoff for the fans. It doesn't matter if he crashed because he was doing a wheelie and fell over. If the fans wanted to see a death match and then a team time trial, someone would stage it. What they want is to see is a test of endurance and skill. Someone winning a race because of a crash when no one is watching is no fun. But so would be the whole field waiting whenever there was a crash. And so is a race without attack on downhills (at least for now, I'm not sure if this will always be the case). That's why riders distinguish from the race being "on" or not, and that's why the decisive issue isn't the reason for the crash, but how it affects the race as a race, but ultimately as a show.

Re:

movingtarget said:
Not sure what Orica had for breakfast but without them the break survives for sure. They will sleep well tonight.

I suggested yesterday that it may be hard for the breakaway for the remaining stages - Orica did well by backing in their rider for a stage victory - And it made for exciting racing.

benzwire said:
LaFlorecita said:
Vroome.exe said:
Who would have thought Quintana is the second best sprinter!?
I think he chose the right wheel. First Tibo's, then Jungels', while Tibo and Yates were riding into the wind. Still impressive.

I think he took notes on Gaviria's style and he weaved into 2nd place in that sprint. Very nice work!

Colombia is officialy sprinters' country!