• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d‘Italia 2024, Stage 5, Genova-Lucca, 178 km

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It was like 2.5km and the gap was 30s. It was the right move and there was nothing wrong with it. The weakest guy does the least, and tries to win. It's fair.

Nope it was father out than 2,5 km I am pretty sure. But if it was only the last 2.5k fair enough, I'm less annoyed by it, but to me it felt like just leeching of the others work to get a chance you contribute litte or nothing to in the end.

I understand the rational behind doing it - but I think it's allowed to be happy this tactic doesn't win.

Nope it was father out than 2,5 km I am pretty sure. But if it was only the last 2.5k fair enough, I'm less annoyed by it, but to me it felt like just leeching of the others work to get a chance you contribute litte or nothing to in the end.

I understand the rational behind doing it - but I think it's allowed to be happy this tactic doesn't win.
It's fair to not want him to win, it's unfair to criticise him, though.

Thomas should thank Valgren for pulling back Pietrobon and then him out for the sprint.
Nah, it's Paleni he needs to send a gift basket to. That guy chased for no reason just to get 4th. Like WTH, there is not a different outcome for Paleni in that situation except maaaybe third. Was he doing it just to spite Pietrobon? At least Pietrobon tried to win.

Inasmuch as Valgren chased it was because the race was his to lose.

And for anyone who thinks you have to contribute equally then let the strongest legs win in the end, (a) stop watching cycling, (b) Pietrobon is visibly several inches taller than anyone else in that break, so he was providing better shelter (and receiving less draft) than all the others all day.