• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d’Italia 2024, Stage 14: Castigliano delle Stiviere – Desenzano del Garda, 31.2k (ITT)

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
There has not been exact testing in windtunnels or controlled environments as far as i know. But there is a lot of circumstantial evidence and examples of "peculiar" outcomes. Then you also have common sense, knowing that slight changes in bikeframe, skinsuits (texture), helmets or postitioning in windtunnel testing, can give huge gains in a long TT. There has been extensive testing which indicates riding even 10m behind a motorbike gives immense advantages (i posted those on the forum a few years ago). It would be ridiculous to assume the advantage of being able to ride in someone's slipstream for a while would not result in a substantial gain.

The exact conditions would play a huge part obviously. Overtaking your minute man on a narrow, bendy or even straight-up technical parcours could very well hurt your end result, you might have to slow down to overtake the team car or the rider in a specific turn, while having had little aero draft in return. Also the rider himself would play a big role. If the guy is soft pedalling the TT at 10kmh slower, the amount of time you are drafting would be small. But if the guy is going all out and is for instance only 2s slower per km, then you get a large timeframe for potential draft. Then imagine you get to overtake him on a long straight road and the wind is in your face. You'd literally get slingshot past a rider after having benefitted for maybe multiple kilometers. In such a case i am certain we are not just talking about a 1 or 2 second gain but easily into 10+ seconds per rider you overtake. If one rider gets to overtake 3 riders, and the other 0, and the difference at the finish is 15 seconds, i 'd bet the outcome would have been different in equal conditions, let alone if the conditions were swapped.
If youre catching many guys the speed differential is also bigger which means youre not inside a serious draft for that long

If youre catching many guys the speed differential is also bigger which means youre not inside a serious draft for that long
Likely, but not necessarily. You could gain a lot of time on a rider on the technical parts, or on the climbs and still be able to get a good draft on the flat straight when you overtake him. You could also be unlucky and overtake him in the technical section or on a climb and have little advantage if any. Like i said, it depends on circumstances. Imagine a TT frontloaded with climbs and ending in a 20km flat section. Roglic gets Ganna in his sights on the top of the climby section, and gets draft all the way to the line 5m behind Ganna, without ever overtaking him.

Reactions: Sandisfan
The flat part in the first ITT:

rew4qxs.png

Reactions: Sandisfan