• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d’Italia 2024, Stage 16: Livigno – Santa Cristina Valgardena/Sankt Christina in Gröden (Monte Pana), 202.0k 206.0k

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
guys this is the webcam on Foscagno...it is clearly not safe for the riders, but also for the cars (they do not have winter tires, probably they have 4-season tires or even summer tires)

pe_image.jpg

meanwhile, at the top of Stelvio

1347450910.jpg

Yeah, you can't demand that the descent through snow and on potentially icy roads.
I also think hypothermia/loss of control of bikes becomes an issue when the entire first ~three hours of the stage are below freezing. If it had just been Umbrail from 2200m to Prato that had this weather it's a much more minor health concern.

I think like you said a few days ago, they allocate risks and responsibilities so badly.
Part of me thinks it's because they fear that nobody will host Giro stages if they have strict contrats that take everything into consideration.
At least that's my experience when it comes to the reason for having lenient contracts in the publishing business ("of we put those clauses in the contract nobody will want to work with us")

Riding through street furniture at 60km/h in a bunch sprint is borderline insanity but I never see stages cancelled because of that. I mean for me the worst part is the gaslighting from those 'influencers/journalists' who support rider strikes/protests & route changes due to weather conditions, i.e. "if you want them to race you don't care about safety!".

But cycling is impossible to completely 'fix' in terms of safety because it's inherently a dangerous sport. Every corner, every descent, every straight road with trees on either side, every manhole cover etc. is potential injury-in-the-making.

The first step towards better safety is rider behavior on the road in the race, not before it via a protest.

Just my opinion.

It should be decided yesterday that they start from the valley. Now it's a shitshow. Descending in these conditions is out of question. Dangerous for everyone involved, not only riders but also motorbikes etc.
Maybe is more safe doing a descent on this conditions than doing descents like a mad man, like they usually do. On that situations they are not concerned.

Cycling is dangerous, always were, it's part of the race.

Reactions: Sandisfan
guys this is the webcam on Foscagno...it is clearly not safe for the riders, but also for the cars (they do not have winter tires, probably they have 4-season tires or even summer tires)
This is neither here nor there but what's with teams coming thoroughly unprepared and then expecting (nay, demanding) to be bailed out. Don't they have snow chains? It's kinda like when riders refuse to wear their stupendously expensive high-tech winter gear but rather choose to race wearing nothing but a thong and then they're like "ugh it's a bit chilly this is inhumane"

Reactions: SHAD0W93
The decision now, given the likely weather conditions, is fine.

If this was the implementation of the plan from yesterday (which indeed did included this as an option) without interference by the anti-cycling union, but solely the decision of the UCI Commissaire and RCS, I would support it 100 %.
I agree, those conditions don't look good enough to do the full stage to me either.

Problem is the whole timing and management of those things again. The team busses are long gone, for example. Only Bora and Bahrain have theirs still at start, but this means it won't make it to the finish (where Bora has booked hotel rooms instead).

Wouldn't this make it near impossible for anyone to do the Giro/Tour double, though?
Possibly, but we have very few attempts at the double anyway (one every 4-5 years), so doesn't change much in the grand scheme of things.

Swapping the Vuelta and Giro would be better. The weather in Spain is typically better in May and it's less of a high mountain race. The risks of extreme heat during the Vuelta are also minimized.
I doubt ASO would be on board with it.
Besides, the Giro d'Italia has a very distinctive identity (and brand image) as a spring race in Italy. I'm not sure RCS would like the Giro to be permanently postponed to September.