• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2017 rumours - Il Centesimo

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I thought they would plan one stage through the southern Dolomites including the Pordoi pass and Fedaia (maybe Reiterjoch or something out of the Rosengarten Gruppe before) and one stage through the South Tyrol part of it including Würzjoch and finishing at either Drei Zinnen or Kronplatz!? The combination they're now rumored to choose looks kinda illogical and far from ideal to me. Neither from a sportive nor from a tourist office adversity point of view one would prefer that route design imho.

The thing is that if this rumor would indeed be made up bs, why should someone claim this would be the route? The stages which are now rumored seem to be completely random, and not good. I mean who would have the idea to make the last mountain stage to Asiago, if not the organizers who make their decision based on how much money they get from the host towns? If I would want to creat a completely random rumor I probably would have talked about the route I would want to see and I doubt anyone would want to see this route.

In 2005 was pretty hard the climb before Ortisei.

Tappa13_4_Pontives.jpg

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

staubsauger said:
I thought they would plan one stage through the southern Dolomites including the Pordoi pass and Fedaia (maybe Reiterjoch or something out of the Rosengarten Gruppe before) and one stage through the South Tyrol part of it including Würzjoch and finishing at either Drei Zinnen or Kronplatz!? The combination they're now rumored to choose looks kinda illogical and far from ideal to me. Neither from a sportive nor from a tourist office adversity point of view one would prefer that route design imho.
Kronpltz probably isn't willing to spend a lot o money, they spend more than enough to pomote the Messner Mountain Museum bs...
Gardena/Gröden on the other hand has a ton of money and there's a bit of a rivalry with the Val Badia, nobody wants to be the inferior Ladin valley. :D

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Netserk said:
If Valgardena pays, why not have a Fedaia-Sella descent finish?
Yeah, that would be a way better option, but if they really want to have the Piancavallo MTF on the following stage it's never going to be a stage for long range attacks.
Those changes would be a big surprise, Pordoi was pretty much confirmed.

Re:

Nirvana said:
From "Corriere delle Alpi":

25 may Pordoi, Falzarego, Valparola, Erbe (Moena-Ortisei)
26 may Piancavallo (start in Selva di Val Gardena)
27 may Ca' del Poggio, double Grappa (finish in Asiago)
yep, apparently they will also climb the "Salto della Capra" side of Grappa. I do hope they climb Seren first, and then this one...

Re: Re:

Eshnar said:
Nirvana said:

yep, apparently they will also climb the "Salto della Capra" side of Grappa. I do hope they climb Seren first, and then this one...
Seems that "Salto della Capra" will be the first then Seren.

Nirvana said:
Eshnar said:
Nirvana said:

Seems that "Salto della Capra" will be the first then Seren.
yeah that's what's written, I just hope they're wrong :eek:

I couldn't be less excited with this parcours, and one year ago I was through the roof with the perspective of all the mythical climbs that could be included in the 100th edition. Bormio stage is very nice but I was hoping from some more mythical things. No Tre Cime and Marmolada is a bummer.

Re:

Ricco' said:
I couldn't be less excited with this parcours, and one year ago I was through the roof with the perspective of all the mythical climbs that could be included in the 100th edition. Bormio stage is very nice but I was hoping from some more mythical things. No Tre Cime and Marmolada is a bummer.

Agreed. I was so hoping for Giau-Tre Cime and Fedaia-Pordoi the next day... Grappa may be good, especially if doubled, but a finish in Asiago just seems too far. The Dolomite stage is also disappointing (Erbe is Ok, but I was expecting more), and Piancavallo... well, that was just a misunderstanding from day one.

For a normal Giro: OK
Il Centesimo: Disappointing

Eshnar said:
well, it is good news if they climb it after the Seren side, otherwise it would be at like 120 km to go... you probably won't even see it on TV.

It's not too bad. Remember when Mortirolo was the first climb of the day (on the way to Vivione and Presolana) it was quite entertaining. I'm not sure if the loop on the north side of Monte Grappa is possible though, the grupetto would have to be quite quick.

Crknqg3.png

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
Hmm... This is weird:
http://www.sportfair.it/2016/10/gir...ma-perde-anche-il-giro-del-centenario/438850/

This article from Sportfair.it mentions two possibilities after the stages in central Italy/ Emilia-Romagna:

Option 1) Liguria - Piemonte - Val d'Aosta (Courmayeur is mentioned) - Lombardia - Trentino Alto Adige - finish in Venezia.

Option 2) Veneto - Trentino - Lombardia - Piemonte - finish in Milano.

However, these two options have never seriously been mentioned here before. So how should we explain or understand this? Eshnar, do you know more?

Re:

Le Blaireau_13 said:
Hmm... This is weird:
http://www.sportfair.it/2016/10/gir...ma-perde-anche-il-giro-del-centenario/438850/

This article from Sportfair.it mentions two possibilities after the stages in central Italy/ Emilia-Romagna:

Option 1) Liguria - Piemonte - Val d'Aosta (Courmayeur is mentioned) - Lombardia - Trentino Alto Adige - finish in Venezia.

Option 2) Veneto - Trentino - Lombardia - Piemonte - finish in Milano.

However, these two options have never seriously been mentioned here before. So how should we explain or understand this? Eshnar, do you know more?
they're just recollecting a bunch of past rumours. They got no clue. :D