• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2018: Stage 20: Susa - Cervinia, 214 KM

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Armchair cyclist said:
MartinGT said:
Zero class shown by Froome and Poels there. Just highlights what they will do to win.

A racer should not try to finish a race as quickly and in as high a position as he can?
What an odd perception of competitive sport.
What was the point of that sprint other than to humiliate Dumoulin?
YMMV, but for me, a champion should show class as well, just slapping everyone around the ears with your dominance doesn't do it for me.

Yes, I'm sure Froome and Poels had a chat and decided to just humiliate Dumoulin for no reason... It's a cycling race.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site

DFA123 said:
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
[url=http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?p=2268047#osephK[/url] said:
topic.php?p=2268013#p2268013]DFA123[/url]"]
TMP402 said:
Rollthedice said:
Very good and brave Tom but Froome is in a completely other league.

Yeah, he's a world class GT rider.
Yep. He's head and shoulders above the rest in this race. You have to think if an on-form Nibali, Landa or Quintana would have been in this race, they would have put him out of contention in the first week, and never let him get a gap like he did on Finestre.

LOL! Froome would have buried Nibali, Quintana, and Landa on yesterday's stage 19, same as everyone else. Those 3 could have all been riding together and still would not have been able to do a thing about it with 80km to go.

That chump is just trying to belittle dumo, shock horror.
Stop acting a child and leave out the insults. It's nothing to do with belittling Dumoulin; it's giving due credit to Froome. Who has shown why he is a level above the others in this race. He's had the most fight, the biggest cojones and could put in the performances when it matters. And, most importantly, he put on an amazing show.

This Giro is Froome's capolavoro.
Yeah 40 seconds is "a level above" :rolleyes:

Ok, Froome has ridden FAR more attacking than TD. Who other than today hasn't attacked all race and just ridden to his power meter. However, I haven't seen anyone fussing about that??

Also yes Sky have been very strong over the past 2 days. But Sky were sh*t in the 1st two weeks and Froome was very vulnerable on stages. They just got very lucky with how riders dropped off in form and no one else peaked for the final stages. Remeber TD was at his best 3 weeks ago in Jerusalem.
Froome always said he was going to ride into form and he did. TD just didn't have the form he expected in the TimeTrial. We would have expected him to win that if he was at his best.

Oliwright said:
LaFlorecita said:
Oliwright said:
Why is it classless?? Are u guys just mad?

Classless is Nibali attacking when Froome had a mechanical.
Classless is when everyone attacked Dumoulin during 'poo gate' last year.
You'd call outsprinting your main rival who's been selflessly working for a teammate, for no reason other than to shove your dominance in his face, a classy move?

It's insignificant compared to other events. Not even in the same league. It made no difference to the result.
Indeed, it made no difference, and that's why it's classless.

quote="Timmy-loves-Rabo"]
DFA123 said:
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
TMP402 said:
Rollthedice said:

Yep. He's head and shoulders above the rest in this race. You have to think if an on-form Nibali, Landa or Quintana would have been in this race, they would have put him out of contention in the first week, and never let him get a gap like he did on Finestre.

LOL! Froome would have buried Nibali, Quintana, and Landa on yesterday's stage 19, same as everyone else. Those 3 could have all been riding together and still would not have been able to do a thing about it with 80km to go.

Stop acting a child and leave out the insults. It's nothing to do with belittling Dumoulin; it's giving due credit to Froome. Who has shown why he is a level above the others in this race. He's had the most fight, the biggest cojones and could put in the performances when it matters. And, most importantly, he put on an amazing show.

Yeah 40 seconds is the "next level" :rolleyes:[/quote]

He won, Tom didn't deal with it.

LaFlorecita said:
Armchair cyclist said:
MartinGT said:
Zero class shown by Froome and Poels there. Just highlights what they will do to win.

A racer should not try to finish a race as quickly and in as high a position as he can?
YMMV, but for me, a champion should show class as well, just slapping everyone around the ears with your dominance doesn't do it for me.
No. Poels still has chances to move up in the GC. Those extra seconds were very nearly enough to make him leapfrog Geniez.

Oliwright said:
Ok, Froome has ridden FAR more attacking than TD. Who other than today hasn't attacked all race and just ridden to his power meter. However, I haven't seen anyone fussing about that??

Also yes Sky have been very strong over the past 2 days. But Sky were sh*t in the 1st two weeks and Froome was very vulnerable on stages. They just got very lucky with how riders dropped off in form and no one else peaked for the final stages. Remeber TD was at his best 3 weeks ago in Jerusalem.
Froome always said he was going to ride into form and he did. TD just didn't have the form he expected in the TimeTrial. We would have expected him to win that if he was at his best.
Riding a steady tempo =/= riding to your power meter

DFA123 said:
LaFlorecita said:
Armchair cyclist said:
MartinGT said:

No. Poels still has chances to move up in the GC. Those extra seconds were very nearly enough to make him leapfrog Geniez.
In that case, why didn't Poels attack, or ride tempo, eh?

LaFlorecita said:
Oliwright said:
LaFlorecita said:
Oliwright said:
Why is it classless?? Are u guys just mad?

Classless is Nibali attacking when Froome had a mechanical.
Classless is when everyone attacked Dumoulin during 'poo gate' last year.
You'd call outsprinting your main rival who's been selflessly working for a teammate, for no reason other than to shove your dominance in his face, a classy move?

It's insignificant compared to other events. Not even in the same league. It made no difference to the result.
Indeed, it made no difference, and that's why it's classless.
An ideal and likeable champion should also be modest at times. What Froome did was classless imo. No need to do that.

Oliwright said:

VMT. Dumoulin is a very boring rider. Which is fair enough, that's the most effective way for him to race. But I don't really see how anyone could have preferred him to win than Froome, based on entertainment value in this race. All the haters are out in force, but Froome is pretty much solely responsible for making this a fine GT to remember.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site

MatParker117"]quote="Timmy-loves-Rabo"]
DFA123 said:
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
TMP402 said:
Rollthedice said:

Yeah 40 seconds is the "next level" :rolleyes:[/quote]

He won, Tom didn't deal with it.[/quote]
Sorry bud don't see where I complained about the result rather the demeanor of a certain poster.

Dumo lost fair and square, but the constant suggestions that dumo is a 2nd tier rider etc (GT about all round riders not just mountains, that's why he finished 40 secs of the pink in a very mountainous race) are just off the mark.

But yeah nice comment kiddo.

LaFlorecita said:
Oliwright said:

Riding a steady tempo =/= riding to your power meter

Sunweb & TD literally said in interviews that he has planned what power to ride every km of the big climbs.
If you listen to the Cycling Podcast episode 10 they say it in an interview before the Zoncolan.

LaFlorecita said:
DFA123 said:
LaFlorecita said:
Armchair cyclist said:
MartinGT said:

In that case, why didn't Poels attack, or ride tempo, eh?
I guess probably because the overwhelming priority was Froome's maglia rosa. Only when that was absolutely secured there was no harm in sprinting to gain whatever seconds he possibly could.

The question is, why shouldn't Poels be trying to gain a few seconds if he has the legs and opportunity to do so? This is a race, not a gran fondo.

Gigs_98 said:
At least I don't think waiting for Reichenbach or Lopez and carapaz not working changed anything. Froome looked so at ease today that he probably could have gained the seconds he might have needed in that case anyway

We'll never know. Froome gained 2 mins on the descents yesterday and that decision is why TD came 2nd.

TRENDING THREADS