• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2018 STAGE 4: Catania – Caltagirone 198 km

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
8 ESP SANCHEZ Luis Leon ASTANA PRO TEAM 5h 17’ 38” 0’ 04”
15 ESP BILBAO LOPEZ DE ARMENTIA P. ASTANA PRO TEAM 5h 17’ 44” 0’ 10”
22 EST KANGERT Tanel ASTANA PRO TEAM 5h 17’ 44” 0’ 10”
29 COL LOPEZ MORENO Miguel Angel ASTANA PRO TEAM 5h 17’ 55” 0’ 21”

Lmao.

Re:

Rollthedice said:
The Froome era is over, he was egg beating at some point on the left hand side but he was going nowhere and as soon as the pedal was put to the metal by some of the boys he disappeared from sight. On Etna it will be painful to watch.

Froome never was too convincing on those types of finishes, probably why he dodged the Ardenne classics. But still by his standards it's not good. The big question is if it's his form in general or the result of the crash ? He needs to at least finish with the front group on Etna.

Re:

DNP-Old said:

Lmao.
I swear Astana are so dumb sometimes

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
DNP-Old said:

Lmao.
I swear Astana are so dumb sometimes
Martinelli has returned as a ds, maybe that's the reason. :D

Re:

DNP-Old said:

Lmao.
Velolover2 said:
18 ARU Fabio UAE-Team Emirates
19 ULISSI Diego UAE-Team Emirates

Poor Ullisi, but without him Aru would have finished even further back.
:eek: !

From Quick-Step website :

"For Quick-Step Floors – who won two stages on the opening weekend of the race – it wasn't the best day, as Czech Champion Zdenek Stybar got caught behind a pile-up inside the final ten kilometers, while Maximilian Schachmann crashed on a corner with two kilometers to go, as the fast-charging peloton was splitting on the uphill finish to Caltagirone, which averaged 8.5% over the last 800 meters.

Riding his maiden Grand Tour, the 24-year-old German proved he is hard as nails and quickly mounted on his bike, fiercely chasing the main group and bridging across just as the road went up. As attacks ensued and the puncheurs took the front, Max admirably managed the to limit the losses and came only ten seconds adrift, keeping the white jersey he is wearing since day one of the race."

And yes helicopter camera showed him mounting fast and re-starting maybe 20-30 meters behind the back of the pack. I am also pretty certain I could spot him back in the pack (at about position 40) on that last hairpin some 1,6 km from finish.

SUPER-impressive recovery and would have likely contested the victory without the crash! MOTD!

Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
Rollthedice said:
The Froome era is over, he was egg beating at some point on the left hand side but he was going nowhere and as soon as the pedal was put to the metal by some of the boys he disappeared from sight. On Etna it will be painful to watch.

Froome never was too convincing on those types of finishes, probably why he dodged the Ardenne classics. But still by his standards it's not good. The big question is if it's his form in general or the result of the crash ? He needs to at least finish with the front group on Etna.
I'd actually say Froome has always been superb on these kind of finishes.
Rodez 2017: 7th place, +0:01, first of the gc contenders
Longwy 2017: 9th place, +0:02, gc contenders in front of him: Martin and Fuglsang
Cherbourg 2016: 10th place, +0:00, gc contenders in front of him: Valverde, Martin, Mollema
Alcalá de Guadaíra 2015: 12th place, +0:02, first of the gc contenders
Vejer de la Frontera 2015: 15th place, +0:00, gc contenders in front of him: Valverde, Purito, Majka, Quintana, Chaves, Dumoulin
Rodez 2015: 6th place, +0:07, first of the gc contenders
Mur de Bretagne 2015: 8th place, +0:10, gc contenders in front of him: Valverde
Mur de Huy 2015: 2nd place, +0:00, first of the gc contenders
Obregón 2014: 13th place, +0:05, gc contenders in front of him: Valverde, Purito, Contador, Uran
Arcos de la Frontera 2014: 10th place, +0:02, gc contenders in front of him: Purito

Didn't want to look further back. I only used gt results and might have forgotten some similar finishes in the vuelta. Also many of these finishes aren't exactly like todays, but I just tried to include all finishes which showed any similarity with this one. Anyway, as you can see he was in the top ten in most of these finishes and almost always one of the best gc riders. It also has to be noted that even when some serious gc rivals finished in front of him, there wasn't one case where he actually lost time to them. Now compare the results above to this:

Caltagirone 2018: 30th place, +0:21, gc contenders in front of him: Lopez, Aru, Pinot, Dumoulin, Chaves, Pozzovivo, Formolo, Yates, and many more who I don't know whether I can count them as gc contenders.

You know who is the most dangerous gc rider who finished behind him? Freakin Gianluca Brambilla, or in other words, he was dead last of the serious gc contenders. If he has not been convincing on these sort of finishes before, I wonder what you call this?

TRENDING THREADS